The Student Room Group

Need advice from Pakistanis / Muslims. Potentially ruined my reputation.

Okay, I've deleted the original post but thanks to those of you who offered constructive advice.
(edited 8 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Do you speak to this Asian guy who knows all your family? I think you should try to initiate a proper friendship with him. It's better to be friends with this guy than to be awkward acquaintances who gossip about each other. If you gain his trust as a friend while remaining modest/not flirting, then I think he will keep quiet. The only reason he would gossip about you is if he doesn't know you well enough to care about the effects it will have on you, if that makes sense. Try to make casual conversation with him - there's nothing wrong with that as long as you're not flirty. Maybe even talk to him sometimes about people that you both know in the family circle to gain his trust. If he does ask you about it even after becoming friends I think you should deny the actual kiss and laugh it off saying he gave you a peck on the cheek or something because he was drunk but you don't really remember / haven't thought about it.
Original post by cuddle_me_in
I could really do with some advice from people that understand where I’m coming from. I feel really ashamed of myself. I know it’s a little long but I’d appreciate if people read it.

Up until the age of 22 (I’m now 23) I’d never put a foot wrong. When I started working at an office everything was great until about half a year down the line. I was kinda talked in to going out with a few friends from work one night (after work). I was like no no no and they were like yes yes yes. It was all on a whim and, in the end, I thought I’d experience it just once. I feel so ashamed about lying to my mother for a group of people I worked with who told me to do it. I told her I was sleeping at a friend’s house and she trusted me and I completely broke her trust. I feel so ****ing awful about it. On this night out, I did drink but the part that’s really getting to me is that I kissed a guy from work. He initiated it and it was literally like a prolonged peck on the mouth. I never speak to this guy.

Anyway, a few months down the line some other guy (Pakistani) starts working in the same office. His extended family knows my whole family very well and both our families know like 90% of Asians in our town. He is the biggest gossip, constantly asks me questions about whether I’ve ever drank, smoked, been on nights out etc. I’m from a pretty well-respected background and out of fear of judgement I said no (not that it was any of his business in the first place). The thing is that he’s good friends with another Asian lad at work who also happens to be good friends with the random I had a sort-of kiss with. They’re on different shifts to me and I’m so sure that they’ve talked about it / or will at some point in conversation.I’m basically so stressed out right now because he will tell his whole family and everyone in my community is going to look down on me like I’m a total slag. I’m crying right now. People are gonna talk about me and my poor mother won’t even know it. I can’t even express how ashamed I feel. It was literally the only time I did something that I wasn’t supposed to and now it’s gonna come back to haunt me. This Asian boy I work with drinks, does drugs, gambles and is cheating on the girl he claims to want to marry. But none of that matters because he’s a boy and he’s open about all of it. Me? I feel like my reputation is going to be ruined. It is eating me up inside that my mother doesn’t know and I can never tell her either. I hate myself for doing this to her.

TL;DR: The only night out I ever went on in my life, I ended up kissing a boy from work. Other Asian guy from work most likely knows about it now and he’ll tell all our mutual family friends from outside of work about it. Everyone in the Asian community is going to think I’m a slut, especially because I come from a relatively respectable background. I feel the worst for my mother who has already been through so much and then on top of that she has me for a daughter.

Honestly,all asians, be it pakistani or bengali, have the biggest egos going. They prize reputation above all. Worrying is natural and it is good you feel guilty about what you did. The problem is trying to handle the consequences that may follow those events.

I've only seen and heard similar scenarios like this occur within my own extended family and it had happened to all the males in my family and some of the females. But the males always seem have it easy and it may seem really hard for you as a Asian female. You're going to be judged and tormented if they do find out, but you have ignore it. And the problem regarding your guilt for betraying your mother.Well. that is entirely up to you. From an islamic perspective you should tell her the truth but from a cultural perspective you should keep it away from her. I am just conveying what I can but I am no person to judge and give advice. But I hope your situation betters itself and you are alleviated of your guilt sister.
Talk to him about this.
(Asians will only spread harmful gossip about you like that if they think you're the enemy. My point is that if you become his friend and show him that you're on his side, he won't want to do your baisti anymore because he won't have anything against you)
Reply 5
I was expecting something huge -equal to the size of this text, and you just kissed another guy. :colonhash:

I lost my time.
this is the reason why I hate south asian people.
Get a new job babe. What the **** is peoples problems nowadays?!?
This is a stickyyyy situation, but you must take responsibility and not play the victim card of 'uhh it was only once,' you ****ed up, but don't fret too much gurl stay calm. Pull the guy to aside, because he most definitely knows of it, lad banter almost always includes women, so pull him aside and tell him to keep it on a loww and be real and honest with him, no matter the amount of doucheyy that is present within his soulll i'm sure he'll keep his mouth shut. :smile:
If you're a Muslim then surely at 23 you must know lying, drinking and adultery is haram.
Okay, first of all quit crying to yourself and share those tears with God. If you are feeling crappy I'd say pray for forgiveness and guidance. Also, pray for anything else you want to pray for. Dua can change khadr if done sincerely. That is the comfort I can give you from a Muslim's perspective.

If you want to make a practical difference to the situation either make friends with the guy who will spread the gossip and/or the guy who will do the gossiping to your family. Try getting a girl friend to help you? But only one that you can trust 100%. Oh, and by friends I mean gain their trust NOT flirty. Just pass a salam or something and initiate a conversation. Just make sure somehow they know that you're not that person anymore.

Hope it works out for you.
Original post by Anonymous
Do you speak to this Asian guy who knows all your family? I think you should try to initiate a proper friendship with him. It's better to be friends with this guy than to be awkward acquaintances who gossip about each other. If you gain his trust as a friend while remaining modest/not flirting, then I think he will keep quiet. The only reason he would gossip about you is if he doesn't know you well enough to care about the effects it will have on you, if that makes sense. Try to make casual conversation with him - there's nothing wrong with that as long as you're not flirty. Maybe even talk to him sometimes about people that you both know in the family circle to gain his trust. If he does ask you about it even after becoming friends I think you should deny the actual kiss and laugh it off saying he gave you a peck on the cheek or something because he was drunk but you don't really remember / haven't thought about it.

(Asians will only spread harmful gossip about you like that if they think you're the enemy. My point is that if you become his friend and show him that you're on his side, he won't want to do your baisti anymore because he won't have anything against you)

I understand what you're saying. The problem is that he doesn't keep things to himself. He told me a million stories that I didn't even ask for about random people I haven't seen in years. He will tell his guy cousins and then it will just spread like wild fire. I don't see him anymore since I switched shifts.

Original post by MaskedOne00
Honestly,all asians, be it pakistani or bengali, have the biggest egos going. They prize reputation above all. Worrying is natural and it is good you feel guilty about what you did. The problem is trying to handle the consequences that may follow those events.

I've only seen and heard similar scenarios like this occur within my own extended family and it had happened to all the males in my family and some of the females. But the males always seem have it easy and it may seem really hard for you as a Asian female. You're going to be judged and tormented if they do find out, but you have ignore it. And the problem regarding your guilt for betraying your mother.Well. that is entirely up to you. From an islamic perspective you should tell her the truth but from a cultural perspective you should keep it away from her. I am just conveying what I can but I am no person to judge and give advice. But I hope your situation betters itself and you are alleviated of your guilt sister.

Thanks. I think it'd cause my mother a lot of grief and anxiety if she did know about it. I don't think it's something I'll ever be able to tell her.

Original post by samina_ay
Get a new job babe. What the **** is peoples problems nowadays?!?

I know, unfortunately, the stories will stay even if I mover on.

Original post by Josb
I was expecting something huge -equal to the size of this text, and you just kissed another guy. :colonhash:

I lost my time.

Well that's why I requested that Asians / Muslims respond since they'd understand the social aspect of the situation.
If you're a Muslim then surely at 23 you must know lying, drinking and adultery is haram.

Yes, I ****ed up, that's pretty much what the whole post is about because sometimes in life people do things they sorely regret.

I'm asking for advice on how to deal with the situation. I already know I did wrong and I won't do it ever again.
(edited 8 years ago)
All this for a kiss?!
Original post by ODES_PDES
All this for a kiss?!

Yes, in Asian culture, that is enough to make me seem like a whore.
Aw man, this is causing me so much grief.
Every Muslim I know has made some mistakes, you are not alone in that and you regret what happened (so you're on the right path). Deny the drinking and the kiss (if it's brought forward), hopefully the word of druggy gambler guy won't be taken as truth. Believe me if you deny it, it can perhaps die down quickly and people will just move on.

x
LOL as if all this drama from one kiss - what a ridiculous culture
Original post by IdeasForLife
Every Muslim I know has made some mistakes, you are not alone in that and you regret what happened (so you're on the right path). Deny the drinking and the kiss (if it's brought forward), hopefully the word of druggy gambler guy won't be taken as truth. Believe me if you deny it, it can perhaps die down quickly and people will just move on.

Thanks, unfortunately his family / cousins (and has a lot of them) will believe him.
Its your own fault tbh but i would say move jobs and ask allah for forgiveness
Thanks, unfortunately his family / cousins (and has a lot of them) will believe him.

If that is the case then you may have to weather a small storm but that too will die down eventually. But keep denying it all the way through, they have no right to reveal your sins and you have every right to hide them.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending