The Student Room Group

Further Maths, Yay or Nay?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by thefatone
oh? i thought it was the same for most schools...

Nope. Some do it with most of the n1 modules taken in the first year and then C3/4 + most of the n2/3 modules in the next year
Original post by Student403
After Additional Further Maths :colone:

Not necessarily, just because it says additional/further in front of it.
Original post by ULTRALIGHT BEAM
Not necessarily, just because it says additional/further in front of it.

I know
Reply 23
Original post by the bear
it is the hardest A level you can do in this country.

Very subjective though?
I would strongly not recommend this, on par with one of more useless subjects unless you are doing Maths at top university, in most cases 1st year is AF/FM brush up
Nope. Some do it with most of the n1 modules taken in the first year and then C3/4 + most of the n2/3 modules in the next year

?????

most of the M1 modules???
Original post by B_9710
Very subjective though?

if it were a cheese it would be parmesan.
?????

most of the M1 modules???

n1 meaning M1, S1, D1, FP1
n1 meaning M1, S1, D1, FP1

oh??

you have to do D1 aswell?
i thought you had a choice of M1-4 then if you want you can do M5 or S1
then it was compulsory to do FP1 and a choice between FP2or FP3
oh??

you have to do D1 aswell?
i thought you had a choice of M1-4 then if you want you can do M5 or S1
then it was compulsory to do FP1 and a choice between FP2or FP3

There is no "have to" with Edexcel. It's up to your school.

For further maths, the only compulsory modules are as you have said in bold
It depends on the course that you want to take at uni. It is HAR. Im taking it with 4 other subjects and it can be stressful to manage the workload. However if ur up for it then do it. Just make sure u get an A/A* at GCSE. Lots of people get good grades in further maths because more able students take it. SO if u r able then do it!!!
yeah further maths is fun!

currently in year 12 and the modules i am doing are fp1, m1 and d1. theyre all really good and with practice get quite easy :smile:
Reply 32
Do further maths. If you're good at maths and put in a lot of work, you can get to a stage where you find it easy, not hard as everyone claims.
Reply 33
I would strongly not recommend this, on par with one of more useless subjects unless you are doing Maths at top university, in most cases 1st year is AF/FM brush up

Why would you recommend not taking the best A level you can do?
I studied Further Maths last year and thoroughly enjoyed it.
The best way to decide is to have an idea of what sort of course you'll want to be studying at uni. If you're like pretty much every GCSE student and don't want to think that far ahead, pick A-Level subjects that you'll enjoy (at some level) for the next two years and will lead you to a field that you'll be studying 3+ years after that.

You've said that older students have recommended against studying FM, is that possibly because the FM teachers are boring/your school doesn't teach FM as much as leave you to it?
FM isn't for everyone, in my year, out of the 15ish students that started, only about 8 got a full A Level in FM whilst the rest decided to only study half the units for an AS Level.

Not completely sure about this, but I think the A Levels have changed recently, so not sure if you'll be doing modules like D1-2, M1-5 etc. Check on this/keep in mind for other replies

Good luck with your GCSEs and future career :smile:

Not true. Based on what I've seen FM may benefit Engineering courses more than Maths in first year.
Original post by Ano123
Why would you recommend not taking the best A level you can do?

Maths is the best AL you can do, not doubt - not FM/AFM. If you're not doing M in University, then I'll say Languages is the second best and most accredited AL you can do. Anyone is welcome to argue with me, but you'll still be wrong.
Original post by 5676Ph03n1x
I studied Further Maths last year and thoroughly enjoyed it.
The best way to decide is to have an idea of what sort of course you'll want to be studying at uni. If you're like pretty much every GCSE student and don't want to think that far ahead, pick A-Level subjects that you'll enjoy (at some level) for the next two years and will lead you to a field that you'll be studying 3+ years after that.

You've said that older students have recommended against studying FM, is that possibly because the FM teachers are boring/your school doesn't teach FM as much as leave you to it?
FM isn't for everyone, in my year, out of the 15ish students that started, only about 8 got a full A Level in FM whilst the rest decided to only study half the units for an AS Level.

Not completely sure about this, but I think the A Levels have changed recently, so not sure if you'll be doing modules like D1-2, M1-5 etc. Check on this/keep in mind for other replies

Good luck with your GCSEs and future career :smile:

Not true. Based on what I've seen FM may benefit Engineering courses more than Maths in first year.

Doing FM will NOT subsidise the difficulty of any Eng course, even at top level (which I am now). Doesn't matter if the Universities say that FM is highly desirable, etc - you'll never be expected to know anything from FM since only merely a handful would've taken it.
Reply 37
Original post by Youngmetro
57% of people who do it get an A i think so dont be intimidated by it! Im planning to take it too next year, and maths and physics compliment it well.

The data is very skewed as only the most able candidates take the subject.

I know average students who've taken further mathematics only to end up with Cs and below.
Original post by aymanzayedmannan
The data is very skewed as only the most able candidates take the subject.

I know average students who've taken further mathematics only to end up with Cs and below.

^^ very self selective pool of candidates
Reply 39
Maths is the best AL you can do, not doubt - not FM/AFM. If you're not doing M in University, then I'll say Languages is the second best and most accredited AL you can do. Anyone is welcome to argue with me, but you'll still be wrong.

Surely at top uni's the engineering courses are very mathematical (I don't know anything about engineering so maybe I'm wrong). How could a language be preferred over further maths. I highly doubt that. How does a language indicate that you will do well on an engineering course.

Quick Reply

Latest