The Student Room Group

Durham medical school or Brighton and Sussex medical school Help!

Any one who has any knowledge of the two would be greatly helpful.
Pros and cons of either would be great too thanks.
Was lucky to get offers from both so need help to make a decision especially that I am a very indecisive person with things like this
Reply 1
Only YOU are going to be able to make this decision, and don't be lazy. Make the lists yourself. Think about accomodation, the fact that Durham is collegiate, what type of person are you, do you like the vibrant city of Brighton more, which is closer to your family, etc. It's not that hard. Go to open days, or just go visit. You will be drawn to one more than the other.
Reply 2
I went to Durham medical school. Lovely people, and excellent facilities.

However you do have to spend two years in Stockton, and you cant sugar-coat it, Stockton really is a dull place to spend the initial part of your studies. I think Brighton & Sussex will be a lot more fun.
Original post by hermes1
I went to Durham medical school. Lovely people, and excellent facilities.

However you do have to spend two years in Stockton, and you cant sugar-coat it, Stockton really is a dull place to spend the initial part of your studies. I think Brighton & Sussex will be a lot more fun.

Thank you so much. What did u like most about the school and was it vibrant or fun to go too
Reply 4
Durham isn't a bad medical school by any stretch of the imagination. Superb facilities, and you will do some placements at the James Cook university hospital which is I think the largest hospital in Europe. The lecturers are very helpful, and as the cohort size is just over 100, you get to know everyone in your year very quickly.

The college system is fun, and Durham students seem to like drinking a lot! However you will be largely restricted to cheese night outs in Middlesborough, more cheese nights in Stockton, and a smattering of occasional cheese nights in Durham.

However if given the choice I would opt for a city like Brighton. Most probably because I am from the south and I prefer it down here, but also because you will have more to do, closer to London, and realistically the medical training you receive will be on par with the training you get in Durham/Newcastle.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending