The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Mackay
Agreed. Coutinho has had injuries, too.

Henderson's stats fly in the face of what I enjoy seeing him do. He's probably our only player who makes lung-busting runs into the box, and we saw that in both legs against Man United. He missed a couple of glaring opportunities, though. If he could convert those, he'd be a much more complete player and - if he had better numbers in the final third - maybe we wouldn't be hearing this current speculation over his future.

Has Henderson been running into the box so much this season? Seems like Henderson/Can have been playing a double pivot role where one goes and the other stays but Can seems to have been running forward with the ball more than Henderson (compared to the season before where Henderson made loads of runs).

Hoping it's not the heel problem which stops that part of his game. Maybe it's tactical? Maybe he's trying to take more responsibility in covering the defence. Hoping a pre-season will help sort him out a little.
Original post by Zerforax
Has Henderson been running into the box so much this season? Seems like Henderson/Can have been playing a double pivot role where one goes and the other stays but Can seems to have been running forward with the ball more than Henderson (compared to the season before where Henderson made loads of runs).

Hoping it's not the heel problem which stops that part of his game. Maybe it's tactical? Maybe he's trying to take more responsibility in covering the defence. Hoping a pre-season will help sort him out a little.

Henderson definitely has a more natural ability to link up with the likes of Coutinho and Lallana rather than Can. I actually thought Henderson was one of our best players on Saturday, and he seemed to be bailing out both Can and Milner at times.

I thought Dembele had a great game, but when you see some of Henderson's numbers, they are impeccable: he won the ball 16 times for us via interceptions, wins 8/10 tackles, and what's more key for me, is that whenever he gets the ball he is directly looking for Coutinho to spring an attack.

I'm not sure whether he's got it in him to be a box-to-box midfielder for 90 minutes twice a week right now. Hopefully he's on the mend, though. As I say, I thought he was great this weekend considering he was accommodating for Can and Milner.
Original post by Dirtybit
You may enter my DM's

It goes down in there

Hahaha why
Original post by LFC_RV
Hahaha why

Let's not play any games and get straight to business.

They don't want you to enter my DM's

They don't want you to be successful
I don't know where the whole 'lung-busting runs' into the box thing comes from. There's actually very few goals where he's done that. A counter-attack goal thanks to a perfect Coutinho through ball against Villa 3 seasons ago, a ridiculously lucky one (defenders sliding clearance deflecting off him into the net) last year against Swansea, and maybe one to get on the end of a cross in Europe last season. That's 3 goals in 4 seasons under Rodgers and Klopp where he's largely been the first choice box to box mid.

What he actually is good at, and does regularly, is get into positions to shoot from the edge of the area. Places himself well when the play is busy and he's almost always an option there. He's scored a few from the edge of the box for us but it's his wastefulness in the area that's most grating. Too many very easy chances being wasted by him there. He has no composure and his technique is consistently horrific. It's irritating that none of our coaches have fixed this. It's the same error every time, lean back too much, mistime the ball, usually sidefooting it skewing wide of the keeper's right or high to his left.
Original post by Parties in LA
I don't know where the whole 'lung-busting runs' into the box thing comes from. There's actually very few goals where he's done that. A counter-attack goal thanks to a perfect Coutinho through ball against Villa 3 seasons ago, a ridiculously lucky one (defenders sliding clearance deflecting off him into the net) last year against Swansea, and maybe one to get on the end of a cross in Europe last season. That's 3 goals in 4 seasons under Rodgers and Klopp where he's largely been the first choice box to box mid.

What he actually is good at, and does regularly, is get into positions to shoot from the edge of the area. Places himself well when the play is busy and he's almost always an option there. He's scored a few from the edge of the box for us but it's his wastefulness in the area that's most grating. Too many very easy chances being wasted by him there. He has no composure and his technique is consistently horrific. It's irritating that none of our coaches have fixed this. It's the same error every time, lean back too much, mistime the ball, usually sidefooting it skewing wide of the keeper's right or high to his left.

The reputation comes from the 13/14 and 14/15 season. It's a bit overstated but he was the one who made the late runs into the box (which similarly leads into getting into positions to shoot from the edge of the box). Using goals to judge his runs into the box isn't correct since as you've pointed out, he doesn't seem to have a knack for knowing how to score. However if you looked at the number of chances/shots he's taken from late runs, it would be much higher (I don't have those stats though).

It's a criticism across the entire pitch though - everyone should have around 50% more goals than they do this season. Our CBs aren't scoring, you expect Moreno to get a couple more considering how high he gets up the pitch and some of the goals he's scored in the past, Can doesn't get as many, Milner's return looks poor once you strip out penalties, Lallana scored/assists loads in his last season at Southampton, etc etc
Reply 6086
I reckon Henderson is possibly keeping himself fit for the euros too so is not overexerting himself as your season is likely over.
Original post by bammy jastard 27
I reckon Henderson is possibly keeping himself fit for the euros too so is not overexerting himself as your season is likely over.

It's also not clear if his heel issue is still hindering him.

I wonder that more about Sturridge in some ways. We've not seen him sprint at full pelt yet and I wonder if that is because he doesn't trust his body yet or whether he's got an eye on our EL progress (e.g. a potential final) or the Euros.
Firmino on the plane to Germany but will need to prove his fitness.
Original post by mr tim
Firmino on the plane to Germany but will need to prove his fitness.

Since he's one booking away from missing the 2nd leg, I'd rather him not play if he's fully fit. Give him 20-30 minutes in the PL game and the weekend and he'll be back fit to face Dortmund at Anfield :smile:

Let's be honest, Dortmund will know we have 4 or 5 first team players who can't afford a yellow, so like any team would they're gonna try their hardest to get them booked. We'll be missing a few in the return leg so at least we have the option of guaranteeing Firmino isn't one of them.
Original post by Lúcio
Since he's one booking away from missing the 2nd leg, I'd rather him not play if he's fully fit. Give him 20-30 minutes in the PL game and the weekend and he'll be back fit to face Dortmund at Anfield :smile:

Let's be honest, Dortmund will know we have 4 or 5 first team players who can't afford a yellow, so like any team would they're gonna try their hardest to get them booked. We'll be missing a few in the return leg so at least we have the option of guaranteeing Firmino isn't one of them.

Agree - don't see the point in risking him. Surely we go with 3 across the middle and then Sturride, Coutinho and Lallana?

Although maybe Klopp wants Firmino to lead the line and he's actually the most familar with Dortmund in the squad?

Well he's had plenty of spare time..
Original post by Zerforax
The reputation comes from the 13/14 and 14/15 season. It's a bit overstated but he was the one who made the late runs into the box (which similarly leads into getting into positions to shoot from the edge of the box). Using goals to judge his runs into the box isn't correct since as you've pointed out, he doesn't seem to have a knack for knowing how to score. However if you looked at the number of chances/shots he's taken from late runs, it would be much higher (I don't have those stats though).

Given the bold I don't know why you've overlooked the distinction I made in my post. When he takes up intelligent positions to shoot from the edge of the area, by and large, they're not as a result of a 'lung busting run into the box' a la Lampard. He places himself well for the lay-off to the edge of the box and usually he's fairly static. See goals vs Swansea, Norwich, Burnley, Leicester, West Brom, and more in recent seasons (and hundreds of missed chances, all in the same technique I earlier described).

And if his production from late runs is so awful (which it is) then why would it be anything that defines him as a player/worth discussing as a major plus point of his. It's not.
Original post by Parties in LA
Given the bold I don't know why you've overlooked the distinction I made in my post. When he takes up intelligent positions to shoot from the edge of the area, by and large, they're not as a result of a 'lung busting run into the box' a la Lampard. He places himself well for the lay-off to the edge of the box and usually he's fairly static. See goals vs Swansea, Norwich, Burnley, Leicester, West Brom, and more in recent seasons (and hundreds of missed chances, all in the same technique I earlier described).

And if his production from late runs is so awful (which it is) then why would it be anything that defines him as a player/worth discussing as a major plus point of his. It's not.

Probably because I'm not as pedantic as you. I'm generally talking about Henderson getting into attacking positions whether he runs through to the 6 yard box or gets into the penalty box or is just outside the penalty box in an attacking position to score.

Not sure what you are trying to narrowing characterise as 'lung busting run into the box' a la Lampard. Isn't getting into an attacking position the same as getting into an attacking position?

Err you were disputing that he gets into the box..? I was just pointing out you can make that run even if you don't score from it.
Is kopitetickets on Instagram genuine? Anyone tried it? My brother is looking at getting tickets. Don't want him to waste money if it's likely to be fake

Posted from TSR Mobile
Which premier league team could beat Real Madrid 2-0 :colonhash:
I reckon with Sturridge it's probably a bit of both. I mean with the amount of injuries he's had it's not worth the risk, especially with the likes of a potential EL final and the Euros round the corner . He'll want as much game time as possible so he can 'rebuild' his trust with his body if you like. No good can come of him being injured and watching from the sidelines....again.
So, Sturridge could make way for Origi tonight. Not surprising, given I said the other day that Klopp may be tempted to deploy a similar system to the one we used at Chelsea and Man City away this season.

Origi would offer more in terms of running and work-rate, which may be crucial if Dortmund are to have 60/70% of possession. We can then use Firmino and Sturridge off the bench - and those are two huge substitutions to boast. Imagine if we are holding Dortmund with 25 left, and we can then bring on that pair. It would do wonders for us psychologically.

I was looking at the stats from two of Dortmund's last games - they had 65% and 75% of possession respectively - but that doesn't worry me greatly. We saw City have the ball for large periods of our game at the Etihad.
Original post by Mackay
So, Sturridge could make way for Origi tonight. Not surprising, given I said the other day that Klopp may be tempted to deploy a similar system to the one we used at Chelsea and Man City away this season.

Origi would offer more in terms of running and work-rate, which may be crucial if Dortmund are to have 60/70% of possession. We can then use Firmino and Sturridge off the bench - and those are two huge substitutions to boast. Imagine if we are holding Dortmund with 25 left, and we can then bring on that pair. It would do wonders for us psychologically.

I was looking at the stats from two of Dortmund's last games - they had 65% and 75% of possession respectively - but that doesn't worry me greatly. We saw City have the ball for large periods of our game at the Etihad.

I'd be disappointed tbh. Origi might give you running and work-rate but he won't give you the same quality as Sturridge to put that leather sphere into that rectangle thing.

The goal at the weekend against Spurs - would Origi create that chance like Sturridge did?

Latest