The Student Room Group

transgender dad

Scroll to see replies

Perhaps call her by her name? I understand this must be difficult for you but it's obviously very difficult for her too so she probably needs the support right now.
Original post by PQ
:rofl:

Biology as an excuse for being rude....so much for rational thought :nope:

It is pretty rational. biology is a fact and it should be taken as one.
and If you think I am being rude you really need to stop being so sensitive
Everyone has their own opinion, fine, but what happened to plain old respect? If using male pronouns and being called 'dad' upsets OP's parent then surely out of respect for her feelings OP should accept this. Biological sex does not necessarily correlate with gender.

OP is going through a difficult time, and it must be very confusing. However I for one would hate to lose a parent over this - they are still your parent OP and they still love you and care for you, they have simply decided to be themselves, as they would surely want the same for you.
Original post by AperfectBalance
x

You have a pronoun you prefer over others, therefore that is your preferred pronoun. Your biological sex is irrelevant.
The thing is that he has kept it from my mum for 15+ years, which I think is absolutely pathetic. I told him not to dress up as I don't like it when I'm revising for my exams, he said grow up and get a grip. He has been absolutely horrible to me, having ago at me when I haven't done anything wrong.
I'm still calling him because he's waiting for the appointment for the operation.

I'm no way homophobic i just don't think it's right for him to do any of that to me and my mum.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Kylie is that you?
Original post by amyjanee15
Is my dad legally my dad as he's changed his name and gender?

Yes. :smile: Family is family regardless of genitals/sex and it's important to know that your dad isn't disappearing. If she's male to female, she's always been a woman!
Original post by acupofgreentea
You have a pronoun you prefer over others, therefore that is your preferred pronoun. Your biological sex is irrelevant.

No it isn't my preferred pronoun. it IS MY PRONOUN biological sex is not irrelevant
It is pretty rational. biology is a fact and it should be taken as one.
and If you think I am being rude you really need to stop being so sensitive

Go and educate yourself: http://genderanalysis.net/articles/atheist-transphobia-superstition-over-science/
"if you’re going to bring science into this, you should make sure the science actually says what you think it does."
The thing is that he has kept it from my mum for 15+ years, which I think is absolutely pathetic. I told him not to dress up as I don't like it when I'm revising for my exams, he said grow up and get a grip. He has been absolutely horrible to me, having ago at me when I haven't done anything wrong.
I'm still calling him because he's waiting for the appointment for the operation.

I'm no way homophobic i just don't think it's right for him to do any of that to me and my mum.

Posted from TSR Mobile

She is no doubt behaving that way because she doesn't feel that she has your support, and so in her eyes by not accepting it that is what you are doing wrong.

Posted from TSR Mobile

You're not homophobic or transphobic, you just sound kinda selfish and stupid about the whole thing. You think it's pathetic that your dad has had trouble coming to terms with her own gender in fear of discrimination? I don't blame her with the way you see things. She's not doing anything to you at all this isn't even about you or your mum. It's solely about your dad and if that's a problem for you and or your mother, you do you but you're not in the right.
Original post by PQ
Go and educate yourself: http://genderanalysis.net/articles/atheist-transphobia-superstition-over-science/
"if you’re going to bring science into this, you should make sure the science actually says what you think it does."

That really isn't scientific
I understand this must be difficult for you. I've not had a relative transition but I do have a relative who has different personalities so I've learnt to address them with different names.

All you can do is be respectful, I guess. Good luck!
No it isn't my preferred pronoun. it IS MY PRONOUN biological sex is not irrelevant

Please inform me of when solely biology determined your pronoun. I have yet to discover a nature-given "This is a female, therefore must be called her for now and eternity" tattoo. A location would be greatly appreciated.
Weird
If my dad was transgendered I'd still call him dad. Idgaf about being PC and using the "correct pronoun". I think it would be almost an insult to my real mother to call my dad, mother. He has not brought me up the way a mother does. A sex change will never enable him to do and become what a mother is. So no, I wouldn't call him mum.
Original post by Novascope
If my dad was transgendered I'd still call him dad. Idgaf about being PC and using the "correct pronoun". I think it would be almost an insult to my real mother to call my dad, mother. He has not brought me up the way a mother does. A sex change will never enable him to do and become what a mother is. So no, I wouldn't call him mum.

Nobody said she wanted to be called mum.
Original post by acupofgreentea
Please inform me of when solely biology determined your pronoun. I have yet to discover a nature-given "This is a female, therefore must be called her for now and eternity" tattoo. A location would be greatly appreciated.

Its all to do with chromosomes, If you have one set we call that male the other female. not too hard to see
Original post by A-LJLB
Nobody said she wanted to be called mum.

My post was in response to some of the other posts. But thanks for telling me the obvious.
Original post by Novascope
My post was in response to some of the other posts. But thanks for telling me the obvious.

Sigh people are so sensitive nowadays

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending