The Student Room Group

M1 Momentum question jan 2007

Hey.
How can i conclude on part ii (a) that the direction of motion of n is reversed.
I calculated the total momentum after as being positive but i don`t see how this helps.
ThanksIMG_0236.jpg
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 1
Original post by SamuelN98

The total momentum in the direction of M is positive, yes. If N were to continue in the original direction then both spheres/particles would have a negative momentum. So it must be the case than N reverses its direction.
Reply 2
Original post by Zacken
The total momentum in the direction of M is positive, yes. If N were to continue in the original direction then both spheres/particles would have a negative momentum. So it must be the case than N reverses its direction.

So after the collision M is travelling in the opposite direction?
Reply 3
Original post by SamuelN98
So after the collision M is travelling in the opposite direction?

Okay, so M is travelling to the right and N is travelling to the left. Their combined momentum before colliding is 0.85 (+ve) in the direction of M's motion (so total momentum before collision positive towards the right).

Then M collides with N, the total momentum after is also positive (momentum is conserved) towards the right. But if N was travelling to the left (i.e original path, then so should M because well, imagine it, N is pushing M) so the momentium would be negative in the direction to the right. But we know the momentum is positive, so N must be moving right i.e: opposite. We don't know about M.

Quick Reply

Latest