The Student Room Group

Maintenance Loan for 2017/18 - Fulltime, over 25, living with partner

Hi,

I'm trying to find some information on how the maintenance loan is assessed, and a rough estimate of how much I may be able to borrow.

I will be 28 when I (hopefully) start my course in 2017/18, I am hoping to study veterinary medicine, which will be a 5 year course.
I will be living with my partner, we may be staying in London or moving outside of London depending on what university I gain a place at.

Is household income assessed on my partners income, or both our current incomes for the year before starting the course? I will be studying fulltime so will not be earning anything for the 5 years (as vet med students have to do unpaid work placements during the holidays). I only earn £20,000 which, living in greater London, doesn't really leave anything for savings anyway. My partner earns £33,000 in London, if we move outside of London that will probably drop to around £28,000.

Could you give me an estimation of what I might be able to borrow, or where I can find this information?

Thank you
Original post by Melora ^.^=
Hi,

I'm trying to find some information on how the maintenance loan is assessed, and a rough estimate of how much I may be able to borrow.

I will be 28 when I (hopefully) start my course in 2017/18, I am hoping to study veterinary medicine, which will be a 5 year course.
I will be living with my partner, we may be staying in London or moving outside of London depending on what university I gain a place at.

Is household income assessed on my partners income, or both our current incomes for the year before starting the course? I will be studying fulltime so will not be earning anything for the 5 years (as vet med students have to do unpaid work placements during the holidays). I only earn £20,000 which, living in greater London, doesn't really leave anything for savings anyway. My partner earns £33,000 in London, if we move outside of London that will probably drop to around £28,000.

Could you give me an estimation of what I might be able to borrow, or where I can find this information?

Thank you

The thresholds aren't available for 2017/18

For 2016/17 you can use the calculator: https://www.gov.uk/student-finance-calculator/y/2016-2017/uk-full-time/9000.0/away-outside-london/28000.0/low-income/none-of-the-above (change the options to show the rates for in London).

Only your partner's income is counted and they'll look at 2015/16 income (excluding pension contributions) unless you expect your partners income to drop by 15% (in which case you can apply with 2015/16 income details and then ask them to reassess based on estimated income for 2017/18).

Your partner may be eligible for benefits once you start studying (housing benefit is most likely which will help towards rent costs)
Original post by PQ
The thresholds aren't available for 2017/18

For 2016/17 you can use the calculator: https://www.gov.uk/student-finance-calculator/y/2016-2017/uk-full-time/9000.0/away-outside-london/28000.0/low-income/none-of-the-above (change the options to show the rates for in London).

Only your partner's income is counted and they'll look at 2015/16 income (excluding pension contributions) unless you expect your partners income to drop by 15% (in which case you can apply with 2015/16 income details and then ask them to reassess based on estimated income for 2017/18).

Your partner may be eligible for benefits once you start studying (housing benefit is most likely which will help towards rent costs)

Hi thank you for replying.
Are you sure it's only my partners income, the calculator asks for my income + his?

Do you know when 17/18 rates will be released?
Hi thank you for replying.
Are you sure it's only my partners income, the calculator asks for my income + his?

Do you know when 17/18 rates will be released?

When you apply the form asks for a student's income - but that isn't used in the calculation of what the "household" will be responsible for contributing towards the student.
Original post by PQ
When you apply the form asks for a student's income - but that isn't used in the calculation of what the "household" will be responsible for contributing towards the student.

That's really helpful, thank you.
That's really helpful, thank you.

In case you want to see that in writing:

Your income
This applies to all students.

We’ll ask you to estimate your total income for the coming academicyear.

You should include details of any taxable unearned income you receivefrom the following sources:
bank or building society gross interest
property, lettings or rent
dividends or investments
trusts or sponsorships
any other payment received for attending the course

You should only include payments from an employer if you are beingreleased from your employment by your employer to attend yourcourse. Income from earnings during an academic year of your course(including holiday, evening or weekend work) doesn’t need to bedeclared.

Page 9 of the guidance: http://www.practitioners.slc.co.uk/media/6721/sfe_how_you_are_assessed_guide_1617_d.pdf

Also on page 32
Your household income

If you’re an independent student who is married or is in a civilpartnership, Student Finance England will take into account the incomeof your husband, wife, civil partner or partner including same sexpartners.Your partner’s residual income will generally be worked out in the sameway as your parents’ residual income. However, different rules applyif you separate from your partner. The household income threshold isalso the same.
(edited 8 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending