The Student Room Group

Sikhs: Would you marry a Muslim?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by chemting
Lol its okay, I think I know the verses in question. Again, "strict monotheism" and "loose monotheism" depends upon interpretation (whether you take a literal or a non-literal one) - this is a very similar issue with Ahmadiyyas.

As I said before, many conservative scholars and Muslim (like you for e.g.) would rule against it. Some "Islamic perspective" treat Christians as polytheist due to the way they treat Jesus & the trinity - what's your view on that?

I consider trinitarian Christians to be polytheistic yes...

Anyways, the verses I would quote are:

Spoiler

By the way that Sikhs invoke the Guru(s), they commit Shirk and Kufr, as detailed by these verses. In addition to this, Sikhism came after Islam and therefore cannot be considered by any stretch to be 'of the book', since it has no basis in Arbahamic faiths at all. Any fatwa by a 'scholar' which considers marriage to a Sikh permissible is totally and unequivocally wrong... this isn't even a matter of me being conservative, this is just a very simple arguement to which there is no solid ground for refutation.
Original post by Adzkii786
No, they are allowed to marry those of mono-theistic faith and I don't see how Sikhism doesn't correlate with so considering they do worship one god? I am a Muslim, and I believe Muslim girl's should have the right and liberation to fulfill all their wishes, and if she want's to marry the guy then she can! :smile:

This coming from a Muslim man was a shock for me but damn I'm glad some Muslims think like this!:h:
Original post by Zamestaneh
Sikhs are considered polytheistic because of the way that they treat their gurus, from an Islamic perspective - it doesn't matter that they believe in one God ultimately because it's not strict monotheism. If you wish I could pull relevant verses to prove my point.

First word of SGGS, ek ou ankaar, there is one God.
It is very strict monotheism, as anyone that claims to be god, other than God themselves, is considered to be a fake and is disregarded.
The gurus never called themselves God, but always said the previous ones were God. This does not mean they were all 10 different gods, but that they were the one same same God, the only one God, but in 10 different bodies.

Analogy: God sent his messengers through the form of previous religious leaders, but they all failed him. The quote 'if you want something done right, go do it yourself' can apply here, as God themselves came in the form of Guru Nanak.
Original post by Anonymous
It is very strict monotheism, as anyone that claims to be god, other than God themselves, is considered to be a fake and is disregarded.
The gurus never called themselves God, but always said the previous ones were God. This does not mean they were all 10 different gods, but that they were the one same same God, the only one God, but in 10 different bodies.

Analogy: God sent his messengers through the form of previous religious leaders, but they all failed him. The quote 'if you want something done right, go do it yourself' can apply here, as God themselves came in the form of Guru Nanak.

Thats literally shirk. Believing that would make someone a disbeliever according to Islam.

I was talking about Islamic Monotheism, not generally defined monotheism (since the two differ) - the purpose being to say whether it is permissible for a Muslim to marry a Sikh according to Islam.

Going onto your analogy, actually you are incorrect - Guru Nanak never claimed to be God. If you refer to the Granth, Guru Nanak refers to himself as a ministral who was out of work who was then told by God to sing His praises after 'meeting' with God in 'His court' which clearly and unequivocally distinguishes him as a messanger. You need to also substantiate where the others call the pevious one God, although I would find that they always refer to the other Gurus as Nanak. Furthermore, you need to substantiate how these other messengers failed God and where it actually says this in Sikh scripture.

But since this is starting to derail, perhaps who should take this to the Ask About Sikhism thread...
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by Adzkii786
No, they are allowed to marry those of mono-theistic faith and I don't see how Sikhism doesn't correlate with so considering they do worship one god? I am a Muslim, and I believe Muslim girl's should have the right and liberation to fulfill all their wishes, and if she want's to marry the guy then she can! :smile:

No you are wrong. They are not allowed to marry disbelievers. Anyone who rejects Islam is a disbeliever by default and this applies to Sikhs. What you believe people have the right to do and what Islam actually gives them the right to do, are two very different things. Even Muslim men aren't allowed to marry Sikhs :tongue:

I don't think they have any ruling on Sikhs. They aren't "people of the book" but they aren't "polytheists/pagan" either: so due to the time the Quran was written, Sikhism falls in this no-man's land... obviously most conservative scholars (and ppl in general) rule otherwise but you're right lol. I don't see a reason why not :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

There's a core belief in Islam that no new messenger will come after Prophet (pbuh). So anyone who comes after the Prophet and claims to be a new messenger, is a liar.This is the case with Guru Nanak. He is regarded as a liar and thus is a disbeliever, all his followers would also be following disbelief and hence be disbelievers. You are making ruling about things and telling others they're "right" when they actually aren't. Certainly Islam doesn't talk about Sikhism directly by name but we can definitely make judgement on post-Islam religions, through using Islamic beliefs.
I was talking about Islamic Monotheism, not generally defined monotheism (since the two differ) - the purpose being to say whether it is permissible for a Muslim to marry a Sikh according to Islam.

Going onto your analogy, actually you are incorrect - Guru Nanak never claimed to be God. If you refer to the Granth, Guru Nanak refers to himself as a ministral who was out of work who was then told by God to sing His praises after 'meeting' with God in 'His court' which clearly and unequivocally distinguishes him as a messanger. You need to also sunstantiate where the others call the pevious one God, although I woupd find that they always refer to the other Gurus as Nanak. Furthermore, you need to substantiate how these other messengers failed God and where it actually says this in Sikh scripture.

But since this is starting to derail, perhaps who should take this to the Ask About Sikhism thread...

If you read my post properly, you would know that i said the gurus never claimed for themselves to be god, but they all said the previous gurus were god.
Yes that is correct, when guru nanak vanished in the river for three days, this is when he was with god, and god themselves took form in guru nanak.
Ang 387, Aasaa mehala 5
The Guru is the Supreme Lord God; He Himself is the Transcendent Lord.

For example in Guru Gobind Singhs Bani of Chandi Di Vaar, he pays tribute to all the gurus before him, calling them bhagouthee.

Spoiler

Ang 1152, Bhairo Mehala 5
The All-powerful Divine Guru is the Greatest of all.

The greatest of all would only come into the earth if the ones who came before them did not complete the mission.

If you want to continue this, one of the other sikhs can take over, as I'm not the debating type as i see it as pointless. Nothing good comes out of it and its just a huge waste of time.
Like I said, British born parents are usually more relaxed, and that's why your parents don't seem to have a problem with it. If her parents weren't born here, then they're probably more strict. Also, do her parents want her to have an arranged marriage or are they happy for her to find someone on her own?

By tensions I mean that if a Sikh boy was to turn up to a strict Muslim girl's household with a marriage proposal, this is probably the first her parents would be hearing about it, and if it wasn't to work out then they would blame her/ask her why she's been mixing with a Sikh guy etc and overall it would just be very awkward for her at home after all of this. This is all assuming that you're both early 20s / still living with parents.

Why exactly are you in a relationship with a hijabi girl anyway? The point of the hijab is to show modesty and to stop men from looking at you. She's probably not that religious herself if she's going out with you. If you do end up getting married to a hijabi then I think most people would conclude for themselves that you were boyfriend-girlfriend for a while outside of marriage and that's something a lot of traditional parents (her parents maybe?) like to avoid so that other people don't gossip about the family etc.

I'm really not sure about what her parents want. But from what it seems I think she is allowed to find someone herself.
We are both in our early 20s, but neither of us live at home anymore.
And I'm not in a relationship with her. We've just known each other for two years now. She doesn't know that I like her yet as I have not asked. And she is very religious. Like I know that she prays 5 times a day. I actually don't want to get involved in a pre-marital relationship with her and want to go straight to marriage.
Original post by TheALevelStudent
If you aren't religious, why do you care if it is or isn't okay to do so according to sikh principles. You don't follow sikh teachings anyway, so what difference will this make? lmao

Just another dumb ass individual trying to get attention. Get a life ffs

shanti Bhai Jaan 😂
I have used to have a sikh girlfriend and I'm muslim f*** my life
Original post by Boss_Rhythm

assalamualaikum Rhythm Bhai
LMAO

"Do not despair of Allah's mercy, indeed Allah forgives"

"O my Servants who have transgressed against their souls! Despair not of the Mercy of Allah: for Allah forgives all sins: for He is Oft-Forgiving, Most Merciful."
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by rajneetk
shanti Bhai Jaan 😂

_/\_
Original post by Boss_Rhythm

Original post by rajneetk

assalamualaikum Rhythm Bhai
LMAO

"Do not despair of Allah's mercy, indeed Allah forgives"

"O my Servants who have transgressed against their souls! Despair not of the Mercy of Allah: for Allah forgives all sins: for He is Oft-Forgiving, Most Merciful."

With this in mind, for anyone who sins (be it you, myself or anyone), Allah will forgive us *IF* we make taubah and sincerely ask for forgiveness.
Original post by Jasveer99
As a Sikh, in a relationship with a Muslim guy, I would works ally steer away from doing that. I have experienced trauma in my life and therefore, this is the second biggest conflict I have ever faced which has caused a lot of difficulties for me for the past two years. I will be marrying my Muslim partner in due course, however, my biggest fear is losing my family. This is not a conflict I enjoy being in, however, it is the choice I am making. My partner and I were the best of friends, and two years later knew we inderstood one another so well, and made the other happy, that we just couldn't imagine being with anyone else. Obviously, through friendship - I had no idea this would happen. If I could rewind the time I would simply not be friends with him - but now that I know how much I rely on him both emotionally and spiritually - I couldn't turn away. It started from a simple friendship. If your family would approve of inter racial marriages then by all means, go on a date. I'm not suggesting one date equals marriage - but if you end up being perfect companions, there are a lot of difficulties ahead ... Is it really worth it if you aren't that into her anyway ... ... ?

If you had chilldren what would they follow or be taught would they go to a gurdwara or not
Just asking out of curiosity x
Im a sikh too
Like my thread said before. I'm a Sikh guy and I'm going to ask a Muslim girl.

Just wondering if any other Sikhs would be open to do the same. Just wondering.

Im a sikh and tbh i wouldnt. Even if i fell in love with a muslim guy i just dont thunk id be able to do it even if miraculously my parents accepted i think there would be too much of a cultural and society based difference.
And religious history as well

Funny thing is i havent been raised to hate muslims or any otger religions .i know some sikh parents are cautious of muslims and teach that to their chilldren but mine werent. Ive been taught to be cautious to everyone.

How are you attracted to her , why her is it cos shes religious or modest or what.
Tbh lol kinda dont like it how so many sikh guys these days get married to mualims or others lol
Theyll be no guy left for me lol

Hope this helpsx
And look forward to your reply

Smile
-Smile 43
Original post by preetg97
1. It's not sad. I accept that and it really does not bother me. :smile:

2. I am not interested. I will never meet someone, and enter a relationship with someone who is a Muslim. Period.

3. Sure.

Slay haha
Original post by smile43
Im a sikh and tbh i wouldnt. Even if i fell in love with a muslim guy i just dont thunk id be able to do it even if miraculously my parents accepted i think there would be too much of a cultural and society based difference.
And religious history as well

Funny thing is i havent been raised to hate muslims or any otger religions .i know some sikh parents are cautious of muslims and teach that to their chilldren but mine werent. Ive been taught to be cautious to everyone.

How are you attracted to her , why her is it cos shes religious or modest or what.
Tbh lol kinda dont like it how so many sikh guys these days get married to mualims or others lol
Theyll be no guy left for me lol

Hope this helpsx
And look forward to your reply

Smile
-Smile 43

This is actually quite surprising. Most of you are saying that your parents won't accept you marrying a non-Sikh. I would have thought that most Sikh parents would accept.
Cultural and society difference? Could you please expand on that. And the religious history is nothing. That was all in the past and innocent people are not held accountable.
I also haven't been raised to hate any other religions too, and in a way it's quite sad to hear that you know some Sikh parents that avoid Muslims.

And I am just very very very attracted to this girl. Yes her modesty is one thing too, also her character, and I admit her beauty too.

And don't worry, you'll find a Sikh guy that you like.
we can not subscribe our child to any one religion. We can show our children through our prayers, by sharing our way of praying with them, and by sharing our traditions with them - our way of life. And eventually they might make a choice to follow one or the other, or they may not. The most important thing is that we instil values in our children and a love of God. And when the time is right, they will choose to be a practicer of the faith that makes them happy. I couldn't be ashamed of my child if they turned to Islam, as this is the religion of my husband (prospectively) whom I love - and Islam makes him a good man, therefore, if my child chooses this path they have the capability of being a beautiful human. And equally, He wouldn't be ashamed if our child chose Sikhism, as this is the religion which instilled the values that his (prospective) wife has, who he loves for her characteristics. And therefore, if our child chose this path, they would lead a good life. This would be our hopes from the discussions we have. What actually happens - only time will tell.
I consider trinitarian Christians to be polytheistic yes...

Fair enough lol

By the way that Sikhs invoke the Guru(s), they commit Shirk and Kufr, as detailed by these verses. In addition to this, Sikhism came after Islam and therefore cannot be considered by any stretch to be 'of the book', since it has no basis in Arbahamic faiths at all. Any fatwa by a 'scholar' which considers marriage to a Sikh permissible is totally and unequivocally wrong... this isn't even a matter of me being conservative, this is just a very simple arguement to which there is no solid ground for refutation.

I've never said Sikhs were "people of the book"... but they aren't idolaters either. Idolatry is forbidden in Sikhism as well afaik. I know one isn't allowed to marry idolatresses.
Fair enough lol

I've never said Sikhs were "people of the book"... but they aren't idolaters either. Idolatry is forbidden in Sikhism as well afaik. I know one isn't allowed to marry idolatresses.

The way in which Sikhs prostrate before the Granth (holy book) could be considered idolatry, even in spite of idolation being prohibited.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending