The Student Room Group

This isn't to sound rude but to people who didn't go uni, what did you do after?

Hey,
I just wanted to know those who didn't go to university, what did you do after A levels or BTEC? I do want to go to university but not yet. I would like to give myself 2-3 years to pursue another career then if it doesn't work out, study law or business management.
It is entirely reasonable not to go to university right away, and frankly quite sensible for a lot of people. Pursue that career and see what happens - don't feel pressured to be an identikit young person.
I started working. But other people go on to do internships. Others travel. Others, who are fortunate enough to do so, work on hobbies.

Do you have an immediate career goal in mind @Cherry82? :smile:
Reply 3
Original post by ByronicHero
It is entirely reasonable not to go to university right away, and frankly quite sensible for a lot of people. Pursue that career and see what happens - don't feel pressured to be an identikit young person.

Really??
I'm kind of shocked lol. This was refreshing to read...honestly. I thought people were going to advise me on how bad my idea was like my family and friends did. My father thinks if I don't go university now, I'll be behind my peers, jobless with no money. We're quite an academic family- most of my cousins and family friends went to places like LSE and Queen Mary to study law and medicine. Then here's me, a repeat student wanting to take another year off. I'd lose two years by their mentality. What makes it worse is that my family abroad is now asking what am I doing at uni/which uni am I going to.
Reply 4
Original post by Kvothe the arcane
I started working. But other people go on to do internships. Others travel. Others, who are fortunate enough to do so, work on hobbies.

Do you have an immediate career goal in mind @Cherry82? :smile:

Oh cool.
Yea on my gap year I was hoping to do an internship at a record label or with the BBC. I'm also trying to enter some projects and hopeful help my father with his startup business. *fingers crossed * Hoping things go well.

That's the sad part, I do but many don't see it as a career but a vocation. I've always known what I want to do and was forced to find another career because it isn't the traditional stable job. I've been advised by loved ones to have a back up plan because of how risky it is which I understand. However if I focus so much on my back up plan, it will end up becoming my main job taking the time I need to work on my craft. I'd like to be an independent music artist where I can song-write and produce music. I need time off though to properly work on my craft and gain experience. I'd also like to start my own business but money wise, I need to start saving before this can happen lol. But for these things, I don't need a degree. Those in the field told me to get experience because apparently a degree in Business management or music won't equal a successful business or music career.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by Cherry82
Really??
I'm kind of shocked lol. This was refreshing to read...honestly. I thought people were going to advise me on how bad my idea was like my family and friends did. My father thinks if I don't go university now, I'll be behind my peers, jobless with no money. We're quite an academic family- most of my cousins and family friends went to places like LSE and Queen Mary to study law and medicine. Then here's me, a repeat student wanting to take another year off. I'd lose two years by their mentality. What makes it worse is that my family abroad is now asking what am I doing at uni/which uni am I going to.

The pressure to conform can be strong but you should resist it. There is no harm in taking a few years off before university at all or, if your career is already progressing as you'd like, simply not going at all. People find it hard to accept that others have different priorities so it may be that they will never fully accept your decision. However, the decision is yours to make.
Reply 6
Original post by ByronicHero
The pressure to conform can be strong but you should resist it. There is no harm in taking a few years off before university at all or, if your career is already progressing as you'd like, simply not going at all. People find it hard to accept that others have different priorities so it may be that they will never fully accept your decision. However, the decision is yours to make.

Thank you so much.
Not sure if you have any children but if you do, they are extremely lucky to have you as a parent. Most parents I know expect university whether or not it is suited for their child. Maybe it was the generation they were raised in. I know too many studying medicine who hate their course but because they want to make their parents happy, studied it anyway.
Original post by Cherry82
Thank you so much.
Not sure if you have any children but if you do, they are extremely lucky to have you as a parent. Most parents I know expect university whether or not it is suited for their child. Maybe it was the generation they were raised in. I know too many studying medicine who hate their course but because they want to make their parents happy, studied it anyway.

I don't have children, but that is very kind of you to say.

I think parents who try to push their children into going to university ASAP are usually doing it because they genuinely think it is what is best for them - and often they will be correct. However, you have a clear reason for wanting to take a different path right now so hopefully they will come around and support you. I think committing to a course of study just to make your parents happy is obviously foolish, but do understand why, like you say, so many people do so even when it makes them miserable.

Treat them with respect, be honest with them about your intentions and your reasons then hopefully they will come to respect your position. You owe your parents certain things but you don't have to surrender your choices to them.

Best of luck with whatever you do :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest