The Student Room Group

Dilemma between Actuarial Courses

Hi,

I have decided that I am going to study an Actuarial related course in Heriot-Watt in Edinburgh in September.

I am unsure however to whether to study the Actuarial Science course or the Mathematical, Statistical and Actuarial course. I have unconditional offers for both to enter straight into 2nd year.

Actuarial Science is the course I am interested in but at the same time I am not 100% sure that I want to go on to be a fully qualified actuary. For this reason I am weighing towards the second option. As it will give me more options.

My concern though, is that if I pick the second option that it would be more difficult to get into a job if I do decide I want to go on to qualify as an actuary.

Do you guys have any advise?

Thanks!
Most people change their career choice atleast 3 times while studying at uni.
Id reckon you go with the second option, play it safe.
Reply 2
Original post by Mentally
Most people change their career choice atleast 3 times while studying at uni.
Id reckon you go with the second option, play it safe.

Fair enough thanks. I feel like keeping my options open is a good idea considering I'm not completely sure.
Original post by Island11
Fair enough thanks. I feel like keeping my options open is a good idea considering I'm not completely sure.

Hi Island11,

Big decisions at this time of year!

To be honest the actuarial and MSAS courses are fairly similar to start with anyway. In saying that if you are thinking about becoming an actuary I would go for the actuarial course to start with. If you start on that course and then decide you aren't so sure about becoming an actuary you can always change on to the MSAS course for a more breadth of study. If you started on the MSAS course you can still go on to become an actuary but it will take you longer to train to become fully qualified after you graduate.

Hope this has helped but if you have any more questions just give me a shout! :smile:

Cheers,
Keir
Reply 4
Original post by Heriot-Watt University
Hi Island11,

Big decisions at this time of year!

To be honest the actuarial and MSAS courses are fairly similar to start with anyway. In saying that if you are thinking about becoming an actuary I would go for the actuarial course to start with. If you start on that course and then decide you aren't so sure about becoming an actuary you can always change on to the MSAS course for a more breadth of study. If you started on the MSAS course you can still go on to become an actuary but it will take you longer to train to become fully qualified after you graduate.

Hope this has helped but if you have any more questions just give me a shout! :smile:

Cheers,
Keir

Thank you very much Keir, this is really helpful!
Reply 5
Nope it doesnt decrease your chances of getting a job. Its an advantage that youre even doing math related degree; some people i know who work as an actuary is from a history degree or some other degree. As to what you are going to take... Honestly if you like actsci you really just need to go for it; i made that mistake of going to statistics/maths degree because i didnt know i want to be a qualified actuary. And thats because i dont know what an actuary does and I thought its just limited to financial maths. I know thats maybe really stupid but I was really young when i started applying uni so I wasnt even remotely interested in anything or even going to uni. But still I guess even if you dont want to be qualified, its still really a really great course and it will help you with your job later on. And yes, people change their minds all the time but for most of the case, they tend to stick with it at the end honestly because everything will work out.
Firstly, congrats for receiving two unconditional offers that's awesome! :h:

In regards to your question, even if you pick the "Mathematical, Statistical and Actuarial" course then it wouldn't be more difficult to get a job as an Actuary, though you may be chosen over other candidates, I don't think it would be a big no from employers, they will see potential in you as an Actuary.

I think the "Mathematical, Statistical and Actuarial" course would be a better option since it's a broader subject and you may be more interested in other areas of your course apart from Actuarial Science. Since you aren't sure on following the Actuarial Science path in the future then don't go for the "Actuarial Science" course.
Reply 7
Original post by snapsh0t
Nope it doesnt decrease your chances of getting a job. Its an advantage that youre even doing math related degree; some people i know who work as an actuary is from a history degree or some other degree. As to what you are going to take... Honestly if you like actsci you really just need to go for it; i made that mistake of going to statistics/maths degree because i didnt know i want to be a qualified actuary. And thats because i dont know what an actuary does and I thought its just limited to financial maths. I know thats maybe really stupid but I was really young when i started applying uni so I wasnt even remotely interested in anything or even going to uni. But still I guess even if you dont want to be qualified, its still really a really great course and it will help you with your job later on. And yes, people change their minds all the time but for most of the case, they tend to stick with it at the end honestly because everything will work out.

Thanks snapsh0t,

I decided to go for the Actuarial Science.

Are studying to become a qualified actuary now then?
Reply 8
Original post by undercxver
Firstly, congrats for receiving two unconditional offers that's awesome! :h:

In regards to your question, even if you pick the "Mathematical, Statistical and Actuarial" course then it wouldn't be more difficult to get a job as an Actuary, though you may be chosen over other candidates, I don't think it would be a big no from employers, they will see potential in you as an Actuary.

I think the "Mathematical, Statistical and Actuarial" course would be a better option since it's a broader subject and you may be more interested in other areas of your course apart from Actuarial Science. Since you aren't sure on following the Actuarial Science path in the future then don't go for the "Actuarial Science" course.

Thank you!:smile:
Reply 9
Original post by Island11
Thanks snapsh0t,

I decided to go for the Actuarial Science.

Are studying to become a qualified actuary now then?

Im on my final year now on my course and yeah trying to fit in as many actuarial courses as I can.

Quick Reply