The Student Room Group

How's everyone feeling about GCSEs being in just over a month?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by ukila
You guys are making me scared, I do Triple Science and I have no clue how I am going to revise that much content, which trying not to fail at Maths.

I also am quite worried about the English Exams, especially Literature; I am not very good with time management and still have not re-read Of Mice and Men.

Would appreciate some advice, :smile:

I have the same issue! Also doing Triple Science, and I've only just started revising properly. :frown: Maths has never exactly been my strong point, so I'm worried.

Aiming for an A in Maths, but we'll see :s-smilie: Also bad at time management too :frown:

My advice would be to practise past papers, in timed conditions, and see how far you get in the time. Keep practising, until you can complete the whole paper in the set time :smile: I need to start taking my own advice though :biggrin:
How do u acc get down to studying?? I JUST CAN'T SEEM TO DO IT
Original post by ac1999
Hi any tips for revising, I can't seem to focus for more than 20-30 minutes at a time and then take really long breaks. My mock exam results were pretty good but still some areas where I could improve. Also is anyone doing the Level 2 Certificate of Further Mathematics AQA spec- I need some tips on remembering matrices for that. Suggestions much appreciated!

Yep, I'm doing Level 2 AQA further maths, for which I haven't started revision, and i've genuinely forgotten my BASIC GCSE MATHS STUFF

For matrices, I guess, write out the different matrices, what translations they represent. There should be 7 in total, and make flashcards with that. So one side has the matrix, and the other side has the transformation.

For the matrix calculations, literally just practice questions..

I really wish you the best! You'll ace it.... I'm not sure if this is a misconception, but doesn't the course just seem like 80% GCSE basics, and 20% AS level?

I'm preaching how to revise, when I only picked up a book yesterday to start revision. I'm gonna fail.. Goodbye 12 A*s... I WANT TO CRY
I don't even know how to revise. When I DO revise, in a week or something, i'm gonna end up just reading my book, nothing else :frown:

Gosh i'm one of those typical, TSR, moaning, anxious procrastinators? If only someone gave me a realistic assurance and something to pull me up :frown:
I seem to reject everyone that says ' YOU CAN DO IT. JUST REVISE'... Its as if Im waiting for some special reply. LOL

Anyway... :frown:
Back to life

BYE, and I wish you all the best, again.
Original post by suryyyyynn
worried but most of all angry :frown:
most of my exams are literally spread out over 1 week and my study leave isnt until june 7th, bacically A WEEK before the end of all my exams, so whats the point
how about you lot?

omg that sucks so bad. My study leave starts in about 3 weeks! And i thought that was bad since we only have four days till the first exam! i feel so sorry for you (also coikidink my bday is june 7) But best of luck! stay positive and psitive things will come to you
Just cannot wait for summer tbh
Original post by Ellaramsay_
omg that sucks so bad. My study leave starts in about 3 weeks! And i thought that was bad since we only have four days till the first exam! i feel so sorry for you (also coikidink my bday is june 7) But best of luck! stay positive and psitive things will come to you

we might not even be able to have a study leave, they say we should just go to lessons as normal but just revising in them which has really cheesed me off.
Original post by twhiddy
we might not even be able to have a study leave, they say we should just go to lessons as normal but just revising in them which has really cheesed me off.

I'm not surprised! Although I guess sometimes it can really help studying in class as your teacher may allow you to do individual work or if you're stuck at home it could help if your teacher is there.
Original post by Ellaramsay_
I'm not surprised! Although I guess sometimes it can really help studying in class as your teacher may allow you to do individual work or if you're stuck at home it could help if your teacher is there.

I suppose. But I'm more annoyed because of the fact that I can study more fluently at home, whereas at school and in class I'm more distracted.
If I had an extra 2 months I would be fine, but I'd rather just get it over with tbh
I'm really scared :frown:
Do any of you guys have any tips for not getting nervous? In some of my mock exams I couldn't concentrate because I was shaking so much :s-smilie:
Good luck to everyone! Xxx
Reply 190
Original post by mariam687
i jus wanna get it over and done with tbh lol

but yh im dreading my exams, first one starting may 16th

My first exam is starting on 3rd may😬!!!
Reply 191
Original post by Omzii99
I have the same issue! Also doing Triple Science, and I've only just started revising properly. :frown: Maths has never exactly been my strong point, so I'm worried.

Aiming for an A in Maths, but we'll see :s-smilie: Also bad at time management too :frown:

My advice would be to practise past papers, in timed conditions, and see how far you get in the time. Keep practising, until you can complete the whole paper in the set time :smile: I need to start taking my own advice though :biggrin:

I've been using the Internet to find quotes for of mice and men and just watched the film instead of reading the book.All you need to do is talk about the characters and theme in the novel but also include many quotes.For maths ,you complete as many past papers as possible.
gd luck :smile:
Reply 193
I'm kinda the same as most people - I just want it done and over.

When the exam comes though, I will just think positive and try to give it my all :smile:
Original post by HeimIX
I made a revison TimeTable and everything, revision is going fine but I'm just scared ill forget everything at Exams, I got 3 A* 1A 5B's at mock exams, if i get that again I'm going to drink bleach. With results like that my life has no purpose.

WTF?!

No! You're ****ing smart though... If I got that I would drink 3 bottles of Vodka and throw a ****ing house party. haha

Seriously though 3A*s! That's great
Original post by PrincessGrace123
I'm really scared :frown:
Do any of you guys have any tips for not getting nervous? In some of my mock exams I couldn't concentrate because I was shaking so much :s-smilie:
Good luck to everyone! Xxx

Do lots of past papers and try and do them in "exam conditions" e.g. timed, somewhere you won't be disturbed etc. just to practice. Not only will this help with extra revision, but it should also make you a bit calmer because you know what you're going to face.

Work on your breathing (sounds stupid ik, but for me it worked)... In...out... Imagine your breath moving through your body- through lungs etc.

Try and think of yourself in the present... If you really get panicky focus on the things around you;e.g. your fingers brushing the paper (or something!!). You've been working up to these exams for a long time, now is the time to show what you've achieved! You've done all you can, now all you have to think about is focusing on the questions, you can do it!
Hope this helped...sorry if it didn't! x
very stressful for my exams
Reply 197
Original post by BTAnonymous
English exams are the worst for me because I am 100% orientated towards Maths... I got DD in my English mocks but A* in my Maths... :s-smilie: so I'm probably not the best source.

Anyhow, my revision timetable consists of lots of English, slightly more literature because I actually enjoy learning it myself!

What I am doing is reading every chapter (I am also doing OMAM) and then making notes on important quotes from my class work notes and online. There are some fantastic sites such as:

https://getrevising.co.uk/
http://englishtutorhome2.blogspot.co.uk/2013/08/all-novels-plays-and-poems.html

and also Youtube channels (if you can resist the temptation to click on recommended videos!):

https://www.youtube.com/user/mrbruff/videos
https://www.youtube.com/user/dominicsalles

Apparently to the fellow TSR community, they are fantasic!

I am also making key contextual points (for OMAM it's events like the depression - dust bowls, wall street crash, worker migration), key themes and making lots of notes on characters because they appear every year.

The issue with literature is that they can literally ask any question and if you haven't covered that then you're screwed... however, looking at past papers and seeing which questions they have already asked can give you a BRIEF idea of what they are going to ask.

With Maths it is just practice, practice and practice. Covering an area once will not suffice your ability to apply this in the exam. You need to find lots of examples online and do them, no matter how hard they are (with in GCSEs obviously). Once you think you have grasped it, find ALL past paper questions relating to that area of topic. This seemed to work for my statistics which i got an A in last year and an A* in my Maths mock.

Another point to mention with Maths is that you tend to revise topics you feel comfortable with. It's very tempting to do this so make of a list of everything you're not sure about and then only revise those. So if you still have your Maths mock or any recent Maths papers, go through them all see which topics you didn't get many marks on. No point revising trigonometry if you can answer questions confidently, it's just a waste of time.

And after you've revised all your topics, do lots and lots of past papers!

Thanks, I will check out those websites, this has been helpful!
ok
Stressed out of my mind.
EXAMS START IN MAY AND ITS APRIL NOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

A month to get through and revise all content. Wow

Quick Reply