The Student Room Group

Are Distanced Learning courses valued the same by future PhD accessors/admin?

UK MSc postgraduate study:
On-site and distance learning courses, I know they both accredit you with the same level of degree, I know that much but are they looked down upon when applying for postgraduate programmes that are often at higher ranked universities?Secondly, as BScs are 3 years and MScs are just 1 year, if you only have the MSc will this seem similarly inferior?I didn't do a Psychology undergraduate, but possess a 2:1 in an unrelated subject. So I must do a Conversion course, to gain accreditation if I want to do further PhD study. I have a chronic condition that makes travel difficult, so I'd much rather not be forced to do an On-Campus MSc, and utilise the Distance Learning option as it would be much more ideal. But I don't want to jeopardise my chances of postgrad study later on after it's completed.
Original post by phantompain
UK MSc postgraduate study:
On-site and distance learning courses, I know they both accredit you with the same level of degree, I know that much but are they looked down upon when applying for postgraduate programmes that are often at higher ranked universities?Secondly, as BScs are 3 years and MScs are just 1 year, if you only have the MSc will this seem similarly inferior?I didn't do a Psychology undergraduate, but possess a 2:1 in an unrelated subject. So I must do a Conversion course, to gain accreditation if I want to do further PhD study. I have a chronic condition that makes travel difficult, so I'd much rather not be forced to do an On-Campus MSc, and utilise the Distance Learning option as it would be much more ideal. But I don't want to jeopardise my chances of postgrad study later on after it's completed.

Hi there! I am in the exact same situation as you! Can anyone please provide some insights as to whether there will be any disadvantages in doing a distance learning course, compared to an on-campus one with regards to future applications for postgrad study?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending