The Student Room Group

Public results list for Law Mods?

Hi there :smile:

I was just wondering, do public results lists still get published for Law Moderations?

Thanks! :smile:
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by jay.sea

I was just wondering, do public results lists still get published for Law Moderations?

As far as I'm aware, no. Only tutors have access to the results list.
Original post by jay.sea

This is another reason why I prefer Oxford to Cambridge. At Cam they publish the list and stick them outside for everyone to see!
Reply 3
Original post by mishieru07

Is it common for people to remark their scripts or do people generally not bother? Did considerably worse in Roman than I was hoping for (62), and even did better in my January collection (66) which I did far less work for !!

Edit: should probably mention that I thought the exam went pretty well too
Original post by anonlad
Is it common for people to remark their scripts or do people generally not bother? Did considerably worse in Roman than I was hoping for (62), and even did better in my January collection (66) which I did far less work for !!

I don't think it's common; most people don't bother unless remarking would move them up a class (and usually, such scripts are already double marked). That said, you can certainly ask your tutor to put in a request if you want.
Reply 5
Original post by colourtheory
This is another reason why I prefer Oxford to Cambridge. At Cam they publish the list and stick them outside for everyone to see!

That's probably more of a reason to prefer Oxford rather than Cambridge imo
Reply 6

Ah okay. Thanks! :smile:
Original post by colourtheory

Apparently they're killing that beloved tradition soon because today's students are triggered by it, or something.

http://www.varsity.co.uk/news/10060
Reply 8
Original post by anonlad

It's not only not common, it's not possible. The examiners will not revisit a script except at the direction of the proctors and the proctors will not entertain any requests for reconsideration based on a challenge to the academic judgement of the examiners. A candidate thinking that they had done better than the mark assigned falls squarely into the category of a challenge to academic judgement.
Original post by astro67
It's not only not common, it's not possible. The examiners will not revisit a script except at the direction of the proctors and the proctors will not entertain any requests for reconsideration based on a challenge to the academic judgement of the examiners. A candidate thinking that they had done better than the mark assigned falls squarely into the category of a challenge to academic judgement.

Really? I was always under the impression that you can get your tutors to ask, although I'm not so sure whether that's a formal procedure in itself. I think (some of this is second hand knowledge, so take with a pinch of salt) I know of at least three such cases. One succeeded (moved from 2i to 1st I think), the other two did not. In general, you shouldn't expect your grades to change at all though.

That being said, I've never tried to appeal my results, and so don't know the exact regulations.
Really? I was always under the impression that you can get your tutors to ask, although I'm not so sure whether that's a formal procedure in itself. I think (some of this is second hand knowledge, so take with a pinch of salt) I know of at least three such cases. One succeeded (moved from 2i to 1st I think), the other two did not. In general, you shouldn't expect your grades to change at all though.

That being said, I've never tried to appeal my results, and so don't know the exact regulations.

The proctors, at least, are very clear on the subject and included specific reference to it in their annual report this last year.

I have no knowledge of the individual cases you're aware of, of course, but the regulations are quite clear. The section on exams and assessment at https://www.ox.ac.uk/students/academic/complaints?wssl=1
includes the text:

The Proctors will only consider complaints about the conduct of examinations, not appeals against examiners’ academic judgement. The Proctors will only authorise the re-checking of marks if there is evidence of an irregularity having occurred or if some other sufficiently serious justification is in play. Papers will be re-marked only if investigation by the Proctors has found a serious problem in the original examination process.

The proctors change every year but they are all very clear that a candidate feeling they did better than the mark awarded is not evidence of an irregularity and is a challenge to academic judgement, which is off limits.

Appeals can be made on other grounds and there may have been more going on in the cases you've heard about than simply doubt on the part of the student about their mark. I can't really comment.

It's pretty similar at most/all UK universities - unlike A-level or GCSE, where scripts are marked once and the exam boards rely on candidates to appeal (and pay the appropriate fee) to get re-marks whenever they want them, universities double mark and check very carefully to ensure that the marks accurately reflect the judgement of the examiners before they are published. Once they are published, that judgement can't be challenged.

But the complaint and the reason for redress may have been separate.

For example X complains about the marking of his paper. He couldn't possibly have got a third on the paper. A check is done and part of a paper turns out not to have been marked (despite the double marking) or a figure was transcribed wrongly to a mark sheet, or a candidate has been penalised for doing something unusual and unexpected but which was technically within the rubric. These are not matters of academic judgement and the candidate's mark is improved

Quick Reply

Latest