The Student Room Group

Liverpool or Leicester?

I have an unconditional offer to study law at Leicester, even if I put it as my insurance. But I'm really unsure if I would like Liverpool university better and should put that as my insurance, (ABB). I want a good university life with a good night life too and don't know anything about Leicester, so need help. I only put it down as I didn't know what to use as my 5th choice. what's Leicester's reputation like? I think the only thing stopping me from putting Liverpool down is- its 35 on the league table for law and Leicester is 21.
I've applied for Liverpool and Leicester too! I put Liverpool as my firm and Leicester as insurance. Liverpool is low on the league tables because it has fairly low student satisfaction. If you look at each of the other factors that contribute to the score its actually fairly similar to Leicester.
Reply 2
jn5
OP
I thought of doing at too! I've applied to Newcastle too though and am firming that now. Stuck on insurance. Yeah but if it's low on student satisfaction though is that not a big put off?
Around 20% of students at Liverpool gain a first... It's far higher than most other universities of that cohort.

I consider that to be a really important factor when deciding my university.

I'm quite confused by Liverpool's reputation though... It's really high on the QS World Rankings (higher than Leciester, Kent, etc) yet lower on the national rankings.

It's Russell Group though so I feel like it's perhaps the best of my five options. Though, the accommodation does look a little shabby but I guess that happens in any city university where space is limited.
Reply 4
jn5
OP
Original post by MarcusssEva
Around 20% of students at Liverpool gain a first... It's far higher than most other universities of that cohort.

I'm quite confused by Liverpool's reputation though... It's really high on the QS World Rankings (higher than Leciester, Kent, etc) yet lower on the national rankings.

It's Russell Group though so I feel like it's perhaps the best of my five options. Though, the accommodation does look a little shabby but I guess that happens in any city university where space is limited.

I've not looked at the stats for gaining a first for any of my universities. Where did you find that? The QS world ranking is intresting and yeah it is confusing.
Leicester was in the 1994 Russell group, I think its not a big university so thats why its not one properly.
I really liked the accomodation at liverpool, it was better than at places like bristol! I looked at a really modern one with en suite and it was nice.
If you go into 'uni stats' and select the university then go to 'study information' and select 'class of degree' and it will give you a pie chart with the results attained at each institution.

If you can't find it let me know and I'll help! :smile:

Liverpool certainly offers a wide array of modules and offers a 'joint honours' system similar to the US style of learning.

Why is that important to you?
Because when it comes to securing a training contract in law - those who get less than a first or at worst a 2:1 might as well just not have bothered going to university...
Because when it comes to securing a training contract in law - those who get less than a first or at worst a 2:1 might as well just not have bothered going to university...

You think that someone from Warwick with A*AA and a 2:1 would not be preferred over someone with ABB and a 1st from Liverpool?

The number of people getting a particular classification is a reflection of what the university think is a reasonable number of people to get a particular classification at their university, taking into account the standard of work produced by a cohort as a whole. It has nothing to do with teaching quality or the quality of young academic lawyers produced by a university.
I'm not here to start an argument, this isn't Twitter. You and I are looking for different things in universities, and that's okay.

Thanks for the advice! I wouldn't go to Warrick - even if they somehow gave me an offer as I don't like the place. I'd love to go to Kent or Exeter though. Nice areas.

Where are you going, nameless ghoul?
I'm not here to start an argument, this isn't Twitter. You and I are looking for different things in universities, and that's okay.

Thanks for the advice! I wouldn't go to Warrick - even if they somehow gave me an offer as I don't like the place. I'd love to go to Kent or Exeter though. Nice areas.

Where are you going, nameless ghoul?

I am a second year at Exeter.
Reply 11
jn5
OP
If you go into 'uni stats' and select the university then go to 'study information' and select 'class of degree' and it will give you a pie chart with the results attained at each institution.

If you can't find it let me know and I'll help! :smile:

Liverpool certainly offers a wide array of modules and offers a 'joint honours' system similar to the US style of learning.

Okay, thank you. I'll have a look now.
Original post by Nameless Ghoul
I am a second year at Exeter.

Very random question, but what is newcastle university and its students seen like by exeter students? Is there like a particular stereotype?
Original post by Tom5pence
Very random question, but what is newcastle university and its students seen like by exeter students? Is there like a particular stereotype?

I wouldn't really say there is a particular perception. If anything, it's seen as party central.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending