The Student Room Group

Vanilla Aims for A*s at GCSE

Scroll to see replies

No motivation today... nothing seems to be sticking. Did biology, computing and RS. Looked at my Russia textbook but got bored and left it alone, although going to school for a revision session tomorrow should make up for it. Think I'll do a little of B2 and P1 this evening

Posted from TSR Mobile
History on Monday was good, surprised at how much I remembered tbh
Went to school for computing yesterday, my teacher gave me 44/45 for task three :biggrin: if I can get that in task one (which I handed in yesterday ) then I'll have an average of 44 for A453. In slightly worse news I did a past paper for A451 and got a B... don't think my lack of knowledge is the problem, more the way I'm phrasing my answers. Today I'm going to adapt my flashcards to include more detail from the mark scheme.
Also want to do some economics unit 11 as well as a past paper of some kind. I might try and create a revision timetable but they've never really worked for me, I prefer to just do whatever

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Vanilla Cupcake
History on Monday was good, surprised at how much I remembered tbh
Went to school for computing yesterday, my teacher gave me 44/45 for task three :biggrin: if I can get that in task one (which I handed in yesterday ) then I'll have an average of 44 for A453. In slightly worse news I did a past paper for A451 and got a B... don't think my lack of knowledge is the problem, more the way I'm phrasing my answers. Today I'm going to adapt my flashcards to include more detail from the mark scheme.
Also want to do some economics unit 11 as well as a past paper of some kind. I might try and create a revision timetable but they've never really worked for me, I prefer to just do whatever

Posted from TSR Mobile

You're so lucky! My Computing teacher refuses to give our marks for A453 until ATLEAST the beginning of May. I REALLY want to know *cries in a corner*

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by I'm_infires
You're so lucky! My Computing teacher refuses to give our marks for A453 until ATLEAST the beginning of May. I REALLY want to know *cries in a corner*

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yeah, they all want us to get really good results so we get feedback on how to improve and then lunches/after school session to actually act on the feedback :smile: I'd have no hope for the subject without the extra help we get lol
I'm sure you've done great anyway! Do share when you get it back

Posted from TSR Mobile
Today was very productive wahay
. covered all of Unit 11 for econ
. community cohesion for rs
. B2 and P2
. went over P1, B1, sections 1-3 of rs unit 2, and a451.
. did the money section (first question) of a unit 11 paper, didn't mark it

School starts tomorrow (why I have no idea) but I'll aim for one or two hours after school
(That isn't happening but I can hope)
Today was very productive wahay
. covered all of Unit 11 for econ
. community cohesion for rs
. B2 and P2
. went over P1, B1, sections 1-3 of rs unit 2, and a451.
. did the money section (first question) of a unit 11 paper, didn't mark it

School starts tomorrow (why I have no idea) but I'll aim for one or two hours after school
(That isn't happening but I can hope)

My school started this Monday :tongue: but I have a question. I see that you revise a lot and I thought that seeing you revise would motivate me or at least get me to realise like, man I should really revise, look at what other people are doing... and it hasn't worked. So how do you motivate yourself? I've tried... believe me. I aim for A*s as well and I remind myself that but my mind seems to just go "okay... and?" to everything I do to try motivate myself. I even set a goal of literally just a measely one hour of revision after school... hasn't worked. It's just that, by the time I get home from school, it's at least 5 (usually later) and after eating, it gets dark and I just use the excuse of revising another day. I even made myself a revision timetable that notified me when to revise and NIL *cries in a corner forever because I am going to fail in life because I can't revise*

I genuinly don't know what's wrong with me :tongue: my first exam is like 27 days away and no stress or urgency has set in yet. It's okay if you can't really help. Even if you just tell me how you structure your revision or something like that, it'd mean the world! THANKS
(edited 8 years ago)
x

My revision is nothing in comparison to some of the people on here, everyone seems to be doing 6 hours + every single day and I'm just like 'it's a good day if I've done four hours'

The main thing motivating me right now is that I really want at least 7 A*s, and I know I'm capable of this, it's just a matter of revision. I'll be annoyed with myself if I get less because it'll be because I haven't done as much work as I could/should have. I've also been watching lots of results day videos :tongue:

I have the same problem! I live about an hour away from school so when I finally get back and change clothes and everything it's like half five and I want to lie down for the rest of the evening. I told myself I'd start revising during February half term, which I did, but wasn't able to keep it up during term time. I think even if I force myself to study for ten minutes after school this term it'll be an achievement haha

My revision has no real structure, I just do whatever whenever. What is helping me though is that I've made flashcards using Anki, and I use Memrise which both use an SRS thing which means that the cards/info you're about to forget will show up for reviewing. This forces me to do the specified amount of reviews each day as I'm way too scared to play catch up if the reviews pile up later on

Maybe you need a change of scenery? I mean I'm probably the worst example since I do a lot of revision either at my desk or under a duvet but maybe it'd help you if you went to a library or something

What's your first exam? My first isn't for 40 days (lol that's a scary thought)

Posted from TSR Mobile
Gonna go easy on revision for the next week or so, got a French speaking coming up and speaking is the worst for me :frown: I got an A in my last one so I want the same for this
I already have A, A/A*, A*, A* in my writings (only two get sent off) so it should be fairly easy to get an A* overall even with an A in speaking

Posted from TSR Mobile
Stress is starting to get to me. Today I did an essay on Britain (source paper) and I'll also be doing question one of info and ideas on an article my teacher has picked out.

Finally edited my flashcards with some more precise knowledge from an A451 mark scheme as I'm usually quite vague, even if I get the general idea.

Also plan on starting B3 today - hopefully I can attempt a past paper in the next week or two.

French speaking is going nowhere lol.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thank you for replying. I've started to use my friends to help me revise. We're starting to do revision sessions together and when one slacks off, another can slap them lol and I got my results for a Chemistry mock we did, doing all papers we would do in actual exam period, and I fell from an A* to an A and realised how disappointed I felt and also realised how much I suck at C5 lol (so many equations to remember !!!) so that has kind of pushed me a little bit.

My first exam is on the 3rd of May for IGCSE English languange. We also got the results for this today, with coursework and everything AND I WAS 1 OR 2 MARKS OFF AN A*. I don't want this to happen in the real exam so I really need to pick up those few extra marks.
Thank you for replying. I've started to use my friends to help me revise. We're starting to do revision sessions together and when one slacks off, another can slap them lol and I got my results for a Chemistry mock we did, doing all papers we would do in actual exam period, and I fell from an A* to an A and realised how disappointed I felt and also realised how much I suck at C5 lol (so many equations to remember !!!) so that has kind of pushed me a little bit.

My first exam is on the 3rd of May for IGCSE English languange. We also got the results for this today, with coursework and everything AND I WAS 1 OR 2 MARKS OFF AN A*. I don't want this to happen in the real exam so I really need to pick up those few extra marks.

I got a few of my final mock grades back today :smile:

A* in Computing
A* Language
A* Geography
A* Further Additional Science.

I got a B in maths tho :redface:

Considering I went from D to B in 2 months with 3 marks away from an A. I'm actually really proud. Now i'm striving to get that A*!!!!!

Now... just waiting for the final few results.
x

Any tips for generally revising English Language? I'm always one mark off A* in the exam haha

Original post by Federerr
x

Woah, congrats! You so have to teach me your ways in computing... Your maths result is super impressive too, how did you jump two grade in two months? Hope you can get that A* :biggrin:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Okay I am massively unprepared for my French speaking on Monday. Today I'm going to remember the presentation (easy part ) and at least one question
If I have time, I'll do a computing past paper but I doubt it :frown: Already did an all nighter two nights ago to finish some work lol

Posted from TSR Mobile
Okay I am massively unprepared for my French speaking on Monday. Today I'm going to remember the presentation (easy part ) and at least one question
If I have time, I'll do a computing past paper but I doubt it :frown: Already did an all nighter two nights ago to finish some work lol

Posted from TSR Mobile

French speaking??? I'm so glad that I've done them all now (unless I have to redo them)..
How did I manage to miss this thread? Definitely going to follow now. :smile:
For English Language (I saw you mention it in an earlier post) have you looked at Mr Bruff on YouTube? It's really useful and he has sample answers as well so you actually know how you have to write to get better marks. :smile:
Original post by Ara8311a
French speaking??? I'm so glad that I've done them all now (unless I have to redo them)..
How did I manage to miss this thread? Definitely going to follow now. :smile:
For English Language (I saw you mention it in an earlier post) have you looked at Mr Bruff on YouTube? It's really useful and he has sample answers as well so you actually know how you have to write to get better marks. :smile:

It's our last one fortunately - only two get sent off but we do three just in case one is bad
And thanks I feel flattered :colondollar: Just saw you have one too, I'll check that out when I have time
I've heard of Mr Bruff but English isn't my most favourite subject ever so I've been putting off revision... but I'll watch a few videos and see if they help

Posted from TSR Mobile
It's our last one fortunately - only two get sent off but we do three just in case one is bad
And thanks I feel flattered :colondollar: Just saw you have one too, I'll check that out when I have time
I've heard of Mr Bruff but English isn't my most favourite subject ever so I've been putting off revision... but I'll watch a few videos and see if they help

Posted from TSR Mobile

We did three too but the last was before Easter! :smile: Thanks!
Mr Bruff is good but you have to choose which video to watch carefully. Different ones are helpful to different people. I've been putting it off too but no more! Exams are so soon!!! :s-smilie:
Original post by Ara8311a
Exams are so soon!!! :s-smilie:

My first exam is a month away :colone:

To do for today:
- flashcards
- RS homework (learning about what the UN does)
- learn at least half of the questions I've prepared for French (ideally all but that's a bit optimistic)
- do a computing past paper
- there was something else but I've forgotten lol

Will report on my progress in the evening!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Update:
- did the RS homework, fairly easy
- did the past paper and got a B, tragic
- will finish flashcards later on
- still learning French! have learnt four answers so far
Any tips for generally revising English Language? I'm always one mark off A* in the exam haha

Posted from TSR Mobile

I would love to help with that but I've been putting off revising English Language. I tend to just do past paper questions (well, we do these in class. I really should do some at home too). Since I'm doing IGCSE, I know the structure of the questions and how to answer them to get a lot of marks so in this case, practice really does make perfect. Also, since my exam is noW 2 WEEKS AWAY, my school is arranging for us to do English Language ALL DAY on Monday so we can prepare for it even more. Basically, I'm no help and do past papers in timed conditions if you can.

And I think I'm kind of getting worried cause my plans to start revising with my friends fell through and my exams are starting soon too... but no sense of urgency or stress has set in? However, I'm going to revise today (well, it's all homework so I kinda have to do it lol). I have an English lang. past paper, French past paper, maths past paper, Biology research and B1-3 past paper to do. On top of that, I think I might revise some Further Maths and Chemistry 5 (which I absolutely failed cause I forgot all equations in the exam lol). but instead... I'm procrastinating on TSR :smile:
Omg I just realised that I haven't revised History at all and need to start that to :'( Do you do History? If so, how do you revise for that? I have a few broad sheets (just paper with questions and sources on a specific topic) that were meant to be done for homework so I thought I might as well do them. I see that you do a lot of flash cards but I don't think that would work for me. I tried doing History cards but after I was done with like 2, I realised I would never look at them again because the amount of writing on it repels me to the ends of the Earth. I guess all I can do is read on the topics and do past papers really.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending