The Student Room Group

GCSE AQA English Literature - June 2016 *Official Thread*

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Gingerbread101
Candy is a complicated one really :yes: have you been through the novel and collected a list of key quotes for him?

I remember I had a last minute worry on the last day of term when I did it about Curley, because we'd never planned anything in lesson on him. Carlson is a pretty insignificant character and doesn't really link to a certain context, so if he was in any question, he'd be in the extract question so you wouldn't need to remember who he is :nah: I wouldn't worry too much about him

I need help analysing the dog shooting scene
(edited 8 years ago)
Candy is a complicated one really :yes: have you been through the novel and collected a list of key quotes for him?

I remember I had a last minute worry on the last day of term when I did it about Curley, because we'd never planned anything in lesson on him. Carlson is a pretty insignificant character and doesn't really link to a certain context, so if he was in any question, he'd be in the extract question so you wouldn't need to remember who he is :nah: I wouldn't worry too much about him

What do you mean about him being in the extract question? Sorry I don't really understand how the literature exam works, our school doesn't do anything on OMAM or poetry until after easter.
Original post by KomradeKorbyn
What do you mean about him being in the extract question? Sorry I don't really understand how the literature exam works, our school doesn't do anything on OMAM or poetry until after easter.

check out a past exam paper

http://filestore.aqa.org.uk/subjects/AQA-97101H-QP-JUN14.PDF

go to page 9 for OMAM
Original post by Ella_08
Sort of. My main bullet points are:
- no respect/status > no one supports candy's view that his dog should stay alive
- killing of Curley's Wife kills candy's dream
- lonely/ isolated/ helpless > only companion is his dog
- evokes audience's sympathy

And yeah that's so true about the extract thing, they only ask you about language techniques so you can just come up with something really pretentious

They're all the points you really need - make sure you know where to find a quote for each one :smile:
Original post by Lucofthewoods
I need help analysing the dog shooting scene

Okey dokey, could you post what you think are the key quotes from that episode as I don't have the text to hand :smile:
Original post by KomradeKorbyn

Check out my guide to the questions here:
http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=3806219
(edited 8 years ago)
They're all the points you really need - make sure you know where to find a quote for each one :smile:

Thanku, I feel more confident w Candy now :smile:
Reply 67
Does anyone know if you get to have the book in the exam or not? I keep hearing different things :s-smilie:
Original post by luciie
Does anyone know if you get to have the book in the exam or not? I keep hearing different things :s-smilie:

This year you should have the book in your exam. From next year onwards, when they move onto the new spec, the exams will become closed book (they won't get the book) :smile:
Reply 69
This year you should have the book in your exam. From next year onwards, when they move onto the new spec, the exams will become closed book (they won't get the book) :smile:

Thank you! :smile:
Okey dokey, could you post what you think are the key quotes from that episode as I don't have the text to hand :smile:

Check out my guide to the questions here:
http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=3806219

1)he continued to look down at the old dog (Carlson)
2)candy watched him uneasily
3)Carlson: "I'll put the old devil out of his misery"
4)Carlson: "can't eat, can't see"
5)candy said hopefully you "ain't got no gun"
4)(candy) le's wait will tomorra
5)we can't sleep with him stinkin around in here
6)candy looked a long time at slim to try to find some reversal and slim gave him none
7)at last candy said softly and hopelessly "aw right- take him"
8)he did not look down at the dog at all
9)crossed his arms behind his head and started at the ceiling (candy)
10) "he stooped over" (Carlson)
11)the silence fell in the room
12)(before shooting) "sounds like there's a rat under there"
13)(after shooting) "all heads turned towards the old man"
14)candy (was staring at ceiling) now "rolled over and faced the wall"
15)(straight after killing) George shuffled the cards noisily and dealt them
Original post by Lucofthewoods
1)he continued to look down at the old dog (Carlson)
2)candy watched him uneasily
3)Carlson: "I'll put the old devil out of his misery"
4)Carlson: "can't eat, can't see"
5)candy said hopefully you "ain't got no gun"
4)(candy) le's wait will tomorra
5)we can't sleep with him stinkin around in here
6)candy looked a long time at slim to try to find some reversal and slim gave him none
7)at last candy said softly and hopelessly "aw right- take him"
8)he did not look down at the dog at all
9)crossed his arms behind his head and started at the ceiling (candy)
10) "he stooped over" (Carlson)
11)the silence fell in the room
12)(before shooting) "sounds like there's a rat under there"
13)(after shooting) "all heads turned towards the old man"
14)candy (was staring at ceiling) now "rolled over and faced the wall"
15)(straight after killing) George shuffled the cards noisily and dealt them

Ok, so some key things that I'd take from those would be:
"softly and hopelessly" - the adverbs create a sense of defeat mixed with kindness. Despite him being opposed to what they're doing, he doesn't use the same violence as the rest of them. This, in the context of the novel, could be seen as part of his downfall, as he can't compete with the aggression with which some people strived towards their own goals/American Dreams
"rolled over and faced the wall" - the buildings and proximity to them is often important in the novel, like with Crook's room. The active verbs "rolled" and "faced" could show how he is still trying to control some level of his life, despite the control everyone else is trying to claim over the rest.
"shuffled the cards noisily and dealt them" - I think this is a nice metaphor for what's happening on the ranch - the cards are dealt out and even though the characters (Candy included) try to change their fate through following their American Dreams, this is futile because they can't change the hand they've been dealt by society
Aside those listed resources. Websites like Litcharts, Cliffnotes etc. are abundantly useful for Prose. Ranging from Americanah to the Great Gatsby. And if you're interested, for Poetry from Songs of Ourselves I have a blog to help you out (www.thetranscendence1.blogspot.com). And if you're wiling and able you can help out, and I'll co-author with you.
We were given a 5 step analysis sheet. It goes like this:
Step 1: Work out what the poem is about
Step 2: Identify the themes and message of the poem
Step 3: Identify the attitudes and feelings in the poem
Step 4: Identify the poetic techniques used in the poem
Step 5: Explore your personal response to the poem

Hope this helps :biggrin:
Hi guys
I hope your revision is going well! I was just wondering if any of you guys had any predictions for what characters might come up this year?! :h: Obviously I'm going to revise everything anyway, and it's never a good idea to rely on predictions but it might be good so I don't get any nasty surprises in the exam!
Here are the books I'm doing
OMAM
The crucible
Romeo and Juliet
Pride and Prejudice
:smile:
Hi guys, I'm doing An inspector Calls, To Kill a Mockingbird, Macbeth, and Animal Farm.
Has anyone got on predictions or advice for any of them.
Reply 76
Not too sure what the other option was sorry will ask around
Original post by lukesandys
Hi guys, I'm doing An inspector Calls, To Kill a Mockingbird, Macbeth, and Animal Farm.
Has anyone got on predictions or advice for any of them.

AIC: Sheila or Gerald. Maybe for themes: youth or age/ responsibility
Original post by JackWillow00
For 'Of Mice and Men' maybe the American dream will come up as we're the last year studying this book, why Carlson shot candy's dog or something to do with slim
For An Inspector Calls I think it will be how Sheila and Eric change as the play progresses or something along those lines
For the Relationships cluster I think it will be 'in paris with you' or 'to his coy mistress'

So for AMAM you think it will be Candy and the American dream? sounds reasonable:u:
Original post by PrincessGrace123
Hi guys
I hope your revision is going well! I was just wondering if any of you guys had any predictions for what characters might come up this year?! :h: Obviously I'm going to revise everything anyway, and it's never a good idea to rely on predictions but it might be good so I don't get any nasty surprises in the exam!
Here are the books I'm doing
OMAM
The crucible
Romeo and Juliet
Pride and Prejudice
:smile:

Yay someone else doing the Crucible!!! I think Danforth or Rebecca Nurse might come up... :/ And for OMAM, maybe Candy, Curley, Carlson (I really hope not!), fight scene or the shooting of Candy's dog scene. How are you revising for the Crucible? :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending