The Student Room Group

GCSE Route to A*

Scroll to see replies

Original post by sfaraj
ohhhh okay that made a bit more sense aha :smile: yeah there will definitely be videos of walkthroughs, try OMAths or something like that, they have prediction papers and walk you through how to answer them :smile:

Thank you so much :smile: :smile:
Original post by the-future-medic
Thank you so much :smile: :smile:

no problrm you're very welcome :smile:::smile::smile:
My subjects and predictions are as follows:
WJEC English lit - A*
WJEC English Lang - A*
OCR Biology - A*
OCR Physics - A*
AQA Art - A*
OCR Chemistry - A
EDEXCEL RE - A
AQA History - A
AQA French - B
EDEXCEL Maths - B
BTEC SPORT - merit
However our schools predictions tend to be lower than we will realistically will get, because of the data it's based on and to make sure students aren't too pressured. I really hope to get an A* in everything with the exception of chemistry, maths and french which I hope to get A's in :smile:
I'm doing philosophy, government and politics, history and English lit at a level.
The only thing getting me down at the moment is maths and chemistry. There are problematic areas and even though I'm making a lot of progress I still feel so stupid when I revise because my level of understandings just isn't the same for these subjects.. :frown:
Original post by sfaraj
ALRIGHTY! well basically every single thread i have seen for gcses has all these people aiming for like 10000 A*s and im sitting here like loool I'm just trying to stay at my school and not get kicked out because of grades. I'm aiming for:
Bio (OCR Gateway B) A/A*
Chem (OCR Gateway B) A/A*
Phy (AQA)- A/B
Geog (AQA A)- A
Drama (AQA) B
Spanish (AQA) A
RS (Edexcel) A*
English Lang(AQA) A/B
English Lit (AQA) A/B
Maths (Edexcel) A*

Yeah so lets give each other motivation and help with the 5/6 weeks we have left leading up to our exams

P.S- my mocks were SO bad they were like Cs, Bs and like 2 As but i didn't revise (BUT NO EXCUSES FOR ME) so i'm aiming to do as well as possible to stay at school.
Basically at my school to come back you need a B in eng lang and maths and As or above in the a-level subject you wannna do : Bio, chem, maths, geog (or psychology) for me

So down below list:
What your subjects are, exam board and target grades
Proposed A-level options
What you struggle with etc
yeah....whatever else you want really....

BTW the way i revise is the following:
Bio, Chem: Flashcards and past papers
Physics: GetRevising same as above really
Geog: haven't done much yet but notes, midmaps
Drama: Learning how to answer Q and make notes on my performances
Spanish: I still need to do my oral but vocab, past papers
RS: Quizlet summarise stuff
Eng Lit: OMAM and AIC haven't done anything but mindmap for poetry
Eng Lang: Just learn ways to answer Q and what to look out for
Maths: PAST PAPERS and learn equations on flash cards

thats all folks, i'll update in a few on how much I've done today and wise words from the HSM students

WE'RE ALL IN THIS TOGETHER

Honestly, I want
English Lit-A/A*
English Language-A/B
Maths-A
Science core-A/A*
Science additional-A/A*
Re-A*
Computing-A/A*
History-A/B
Business-A/A*
Original post by zXcodeXz
Honestly, I want
English Lit-A/A*
English Language-A/B
Maths-A
Science core-A/A*
Science additional-A/A*
Re-A*
Computing-A/A*
History-A/B
Business-A/A*

oh wow, those are really good! Good luck and i hope you get what you want :smile:
Original post by sfaraj
oh wow, those are really good! Good luck and i hope you get what you want :smile:

Thanks and you too! :smile:
Original post by zXcodeXz
Thanks and you too! :smile:

Thank you
how many of you guys have started revising because i'm really struggling to make a timetable?
I did my GCSEs last year guys and got well above what I was expecting. I know we've all heard it before but when you get to a levels, you really have to understand a subject. At GCSEs it's all about memorising, getting it all in your brain and then spilling it out on the page. The most improtant piece of advice I could give EVER is that for those of you doing AQA Chemistry, Phyiscs and Biology. READ THE SPECIFICATION, print it out read it highlight it and get tested on it. Each topic subcategory will have a list of points and each of those points will translate into a mark on a paper I PROMISE YOU. Literally it's funny reading through the mark scheme and reading the specification points for that topic, they're identical. Anyway, the other most important thing to do is PRACTICE PAPERS and it's ok if you get things wrong because you'll remember them next time around, if you're feeling particularly unprepared then do a paper with your notes and then do one without. Those of you doing history make sure you've got facts on post it notes all around the house (if you're allowed) ESPECIALLY in the kitchen/dining area where you can see the facts whilst you eat or get tested on them during dinner. I really wish you all the best of luck, just fancied giving some advice bc I know how much I needed it this time last year!
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by sfaraj
ALRIGHTY! well basically every single thread i have seen for gcses has all these people aiming for like 10000 A*s and im sitting here like loool I'm just trying to stay at my school and not get kicked out because of grades. I'm aiming for:
Bio (OCR Gateway B) A/A*
Chem (OCR Gateway B) A/A*
Phy (AQA)- A/B
Geog (AQA A)- A
Drama (AQA) B
Spanish (AQA) A
RS (Edexcel) A*
English Lang(AQA) A/B
English Lit (AQA) A/B
Maths (Edexcel) A*

Yeah so lets give each other motivation and help with the 5/6 weeks we have left leading up to our exams

P.S- my mocks were SO bad they were like Cs, Bs and like 2 As but i didn't revise (BUT NO EXCUSES FOR ME) so i'm aiming to do as well as possible to stay at school.
Basically at my school to come back you need a B in eng lang and maths and As or above in the a-level subject you wannna do : Bio, chem, maths, geog (or psychology) for me

So down below list:
What your subjects are, exam board and target grades
Proposed A-level options
What you struggle with etc
yeah....whatever else you want really....

BTW the way i revise is the following:
Bio, Chem: Flashcards and past papers
Physics: GetRevising same as above really
Drama: Learning how to answer Q and make notes on my performances
Spanish: I still need to do my oral but vocab, past papers
RS: Quizlet summarise stuff
Eng Lit: OMAM and AIC haven't done anything but mindmap for poetry
Eng Lang: Just learn ways to answer Q and what to look out for
Maths: PAST PAPERS and learn equations on flash cards

thats all folks, i'll update in a few on how much I've done today and wise words from the HSM students

WE'RE ALL IN THIS TOGETHER

All right! I like your motivation. And don't worry about the mocks! Now you know what to do in order to improve. My goals are
English Language(WJEC): A
English Literature(WJEC) A/A* maybe!
Maths(EDEXCEL): A
Additional Science(OCR Gateway B): A*
History(EDEXCEL): A*
French(WJEC): A/A*
Health and Social care(EDEXCEL): A*
Use of Maths(AQA FSMQ): A*
RE(OCR A): A*
ICT(EDEXCEL): A*

GCSE's already achieved:
Chemistry(OCR Gateway B): A*
Science Core(OCR Gateway B): A*

A-Levels next year( I have to only do 3 due to my college rules. Something to do with being on the safe side due to the new A-levels)
Maths
Chemistry
Biology

Struggle with:
English. I just can't seem to understand it! It is the only object I struggle so much with including RE. I guess I'm not good at exams that require you to apply your knowledge.:s-smilie:

Future....
I want to study medicine and if that doesn't work then biological science.

That's it from me!
Original post by sahra30013
All right! I like your motivation. And don't worry about the mocks! Now you know what to do in order to improve. My goals are
English Language(WJEC): A
English Literature(WJEC) A/A* maybe!
Maths(EDEXCEL): A
Additional Science(OCR Gateway B): A*
History(EDEXCEL): A*
French(WJEC): A/A*
Health and Social care(EDEXCEL): A*
Use of Maths(AQA FSMQ): A*
RE(OCR A): A*
ICT(EDEXCEL): A*

GCSE's already achieved:
Chemistry(OCR Gateway B): A*
Science Core(OCR Gateway B): A*

A-Levels next year( I have to only do 3 due to my college rules. Something to do with being on the safe side due to the new A-levels)
Maths
Chemistry
Biology

Struggle with:
English. I just can't seem to understand it! It is the only object I struggle so much with including RE. I guess I'm not good at exams that require you to apply your knowledge.:s-smilie:

Future....
I want to study medicine and if that doesn't work then biological science.

That's it from me!

oh wow thats great! how did you get A* in chem cos im doing the same as you and I really want that A*, how did you revise for chem???
Original post by sfaraj
You can deffo get an A*, if i still didn't enjoy maths now then probs get a C, but if you need help with any topics tell me. And yeah i understand what you mean with the exam papers, the question is so obvious but the way they word it screws you over :frown:

And thank you for the offer :smile: I deffo need help, although I aim high, I don't know if I will get high. English has always been a weakness, the question is obvious but no matter how hard i try to answer it correctly, I never do it right. I do OMAM and AIC and the way I revise for poetry is mindmaps and analyse the poems, as for OMAM and AIC i dont know, for mocks I didn't revise for them but i got an A so meh. But for lang, i might just learn how to answer the question and what to look out for and practice the techniques on articles wbu??

Thanks so much for your great advice and ooo, I really need helps on surds,vectors and functional maths. And do you have a method of remembering and understanding circle theorems? I'd really appreciate the help.

Also, for English Lit, I like to look at past exam questions and plan my answers(detailed)to them and compare my actual plan of the exam question to the mark scheme because I feel when examiners mark English it would be very subjective? Anyways, the mark schemes and examiner reports are extremely useful for English lit. Making character profiles for each character is helpful and doing the same thing thing for themes in a book/novel I feel is great. At the moment, I'm reading through of mice and men for 5th time and putting tags on pages I feel could be extracts that could come up in this year's exam and after I'm done, I'll annotate each page and the relationships evident and what the author was trying to present about society through doing something and just stuff like that I feel is helpful. Mr Bruff is brilliant, especially if you are doing the relationships cluster for poetry, I'm sure you've heard of him! Same, For English Lan, I just practise and practise and practice :smile: I hope I helped as much as you helped me!
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by sfaraj
oh wow thats great! how did you get A* in chem cos im doing the same as you and I really want that A*, how did you revise for chem???

Well I firstly separated the topics in to 3 like the exam papers such as C1 C2 C3 and C4 C5 C6.
The first paper is the easiest in my opinion as it is a matter of understanding and imagining. For instance, in C3 if you understand the reacting model, e.g when temp is increased or decreased, then that will enable you to answer any questions related to it.

C1- in my opinion you just need to learn and understand the material. Watch out for pollution related questions- these used to trip me up! Also, learn the properties of polymers- this came up as a 6 mark question(2014 paper)

C2- I hated this and in my exam, tectonic plates came up and I did not u defy and this. I suggest you learn the bits about tectonic plates as these used to trip me up and also electrolysis. Be wary of that
C4- the periodic table is your best friend. If you understand the periodic table then you can understand the questions e.g. Lithium 3 protons and electrons and 4 neutrons. Also, learn the predicted melting and boiling point and mass of the Group 1 and 7 elements. Usually, they ask you for this.

C3 links to C5 in concentration and something else( I don't remember). However, in C5, rather than saying the particles collide with each other, mention the ions and particles to make it more specific and whether or not there is more solute or solvent particles. Also, in C5, make sure you know all the formulas. They are KEY! However, even if most of C5 is calculations, learn the other materials as believe me, there could be more theory based questions(the examiners can be sneaky!)

C6- My worst enemy! Now for this, I basically memorised the whole section and just understood some of the sections. Good thing what I knew came up!

I hope this is help ful. Doing this enabled me to get
1st paper 125/140UMS marks
2nd 160/160 UMS marks
Totak, including coursework 368/400 got an A* by 8 marks so I was lucky!
Original post by Tiara006
Thanks so much for your great advice and ooo, I really need helps on surds,vectors and functional maths. And do you have a method of remembering and understanding circle theorems? I'd really appreciate the help.

Also, for English Lit, I like to look at past exam questions and plan my answers(detailed)to them and compare my actual plan of the exam question to the mark scheme because I feel when examiners mark English it would be very subjective? Anyways, the mark schemes and examiner reports are extremely useful for English lit. Making character profiles for each character is helpful and doing the same thing thing for themes in a book/novel I feel is great. At the moment, I'm reading through of mice and men for 5th time and putting tags on pages I feel could be extracts that could come up in this year's exam and after I'm done, I'll annotate each page and the relationships evident and what the author was trying to present about society through doing something and just stuff like that I feel is helpful. Mr Bruff is brilliant, especially if you are doing the relationships cluster for poetry, I'm sure you've heard of him! Same, For English Lan, I just practise and practise and practice :smile: I hope I helped as much as you helped me!

yh ive heard of mr bruff he's great! those are great ways of revising. as for maths search bland.in i hope it will help you immensly, i have to make this short as im going to sleep, but any questions or something tell me.

surds and vectors are difficult, with maths its a matter of just learning how to do it essentially. and funtions, even i still cant get my head around it. i dont really have a method, i just recite it until its stick, of make acronyms or something to remember it, for example for the components of the heart in bio, i got arteries flow away from the heart because i hated ART (you see as it was away from my heart), cappilaries carry matterial, a bit like caterpillars and veins flow towards the heart because the reason you ring is on your ring ringer is because its the only vein that flows towards the heart. a bit like that.

message me with anything else :smile:
Original post by sfaraj

Geography is all about the case studies. Make sure you have flash cards for each case study with specific statistics. IIRC the way it works is you can't get more than 3 marks on an 8 mark question if you don't include specific detail.

What worked for me was to basically just learn the statistics then the rest you can fill in as common sense.

Worst comes to worse, you can make up some statistics on the spot - make them obscure though. They don't tend to check, but will see other papers so make sure it is obscure and not something other people will use. Don't rely on this though, I have no idea what they do if they catch you out but you would probably lose some marks...
Reply 35
Original post by MyNameIsNotJeff
I did my GCSEs last year guys and got well above what I was expecting. I know we've all heard it before but when you get to a levels, you really have to understand a subject. At GCSEs it's all about memorising, getting it all in your brain and then spilling it out on the page. The most improtant piece of advice I could give EVER is that for those of you doing AQA Chemistry, Phyiscs and Biology. READ THE SPECIFICATION, print it out read it highlight it and get tested on it. Each topic subcategory will have a list of points and each of those points will translate into a mark on a paper I PROMISE YOU. Literally it's funny reading through the mark scheme and reading the specification points for that topic, they're identical. Anyway, the other most important thing to do is PRACTICE PAPERS and it's ok if you get things wrong because you'll remember them next time around, if you're feeling particularly unprepared then do a paper with your notes and then do one without. Those of you doing history make sure you've got facts on post it notes all around the house (if you're allowed) ESPECIALLY in the kitchen/dining area where you can see the facts whilst you eat or get tested on them during dinner. I really wish you all the best of luck, just fancied giving some advice bc I know how much I needed it this time last year!

This is acccc rrly good advice, lots have told me about it and I'm actually gonna print it out the spec now.

Thank you :biggrin:
Original post by zanner
This is acccc rrly good advice, lots have told me about it and I'm actually gonna print it out the spec now.

Thank you :biggrin:

I'm so happy I could help you. Good Luck!
Don't bother making a timetable just make a list of subjects you need to revise for and revise one subject per day or for 3 days. trust me this helps me so much and i just tick off the subjects that are done. then i just do past papers on them afterwards.
Original post by william91919
Geography is all about the case studies. Make sure you have flash cards for each case study with specific statistics. IIRC the way it works is you can't get more than 3 marks on an 8 mark question if you don't include specific detail.

What worked for me was to basically just learn the statistics then the rest you can fill in as common sense.

Worst comes to worse, you can make up some statistics on the spot - make them obscure though. They don't tend to check, but will see other papers so make sure it is obscure and not something other people will use. Don't rely on this though, I have no idea what they do if they catch you out but you would probably lose some marks...

is it jjust me or is the geog spec sooo much shorter than i expected. its literally one a4 side
Reply 39
Original post by sfaraj
Oh thats cool! Hope you get there one day :smile::smile::smile:

Quick Reply

Latest