The Student Room Group

Cambridge Colleges

Which Cambridge college do you prefer, Pembroke or Emmanuel? Why?

Help me decide!

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Banana00

Help me decide!

Bit early isn't it? Regardless, looking at my spreadsheet the only generally relevant thing I can find is that Emma has a swimming pool.
Reply 2
Original post by sweeneyrod
Bit early isn't it? Regardless, looking at my spreadsheet the only generally relevant thing I can find is that Emma has a swimming pool.

I appreciate that it might seem a bit early for some, but I am someone who likes to have a specific goal to work towards as it helps to motivate me.

Help me decide!

Go to the open day, actually visiting is a far better way of picking a college than looking online
Reply 4

Help me decide!

Quite early - you don't have to apply until October 2017 for 2018 entry.
In any case, you should visit the colleges to decide what you personally prefer, rather than asking for random people's personal opinions...
Reply 5
Original post by celloel
Quite early - you don't have to apply until October 2017 for 2018 entry.
In any case, you should visit the colleges to decide what you personally prefer, rather than asking for random people's personal opinions...

I agree that it is quite early to be thinking about this, but as I said in an earlier post I like to have specific goals to work towards as this helps to motivate me. (By specific I mean the particular college as opposed to the university in general.)

I am asking for people's opinions because I cannot decide myself - I love them both! You may find my logic a little confused but I often have a weird way of thinking things through!
Reply 6
Original post by samb1234
Go to the open day, actually visiting is a far better way of picking a college than looking online

I visited the university yesterday and have been unable to choose between them.
I visited the university yesterday and have been unable to choose between them.

You don't need some incredibly detailed reason lol, it could be something as simple as emma do your laundry or even just toss a coin, both would give you a good experience so doesnt really matter. Maybe look at the sizes of them and if you want a big or small college?
Reply 8
Original post by Mathemagicien
It might help to tell us what you are looking for, if you want our opinions. For example, why did you narrow it down to Pembroke or Emmanuel? Have you considered e.g. Magdalene?

Good question. These colleges have lovely, airy chapels and dining halls, unlike those of some colleges which can be quite dark. Their gardens are particularly beautiful (although all colleges have lovely gardens) and I like the whole look and feel of these two colleges in particular.

Until my visit to Cambridge yesterday, I was set on Emmanuel College, however after looking at Pembroke I found that loved that one as well. If there are any factors which might tip me one way or another then that would be helpful, as well as any personal accounts.

I appreciate that this might seem to be an odd time to choose, however I want to have a goal in mind to motivate me.
I think you end up just clicking with a college towards the end, maybe because of the way it looks, how big or small it is etc.

I was very certain on applying to a particular one this time last year, but ended up going for a completely different one once I came to applying.

Read about each of the colleges, see which one you like the feel of. I didn't go for the big reputable ones because, ngl, despite being impressive, their architecture completely put me off. They just looked way too intimidating and like environments of really high pressure. Literally look at their photos and observe your feelings towards them lol.
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 10
You don't need some incredibly detailed reason lol, it could be something as simple as emma do your laundry or even just toss a coin, both would give you a good experience so doesnt really matter. Maybe look at the sizes of them and if you want a big or small college?

You don't need someincredibly detailed reason lol, it could be something as simple as emma do yourlaundry or even just toss a coin, both would give you a good experience sodoesnt really matter. Maybe look at the sizes of them and if you want a big orsmall college?

That's a good point to consider - it may verywell come down to a coin toss!
My only reservation with Pembroke is that afamily friend currently goes there (although he will have left by the time I go to university) and I have a huge crush on him so I'm a little worried that part of my reason for liking Pembroke is simply because he went there. I also feel that it would be weird if I applied there (however I'm probably over-thinking this).
Reply 11
Original post by Serine Soul
I think you end up just clicking with a college towards the end, maybe because of the way it looks, how big or small it is etc.

I was very certain on applying to a particular one this time last year, but ended up going for a completely different one once I came to applying.

Read about each of the colleges, see which one you like the feel of. I didn't go for the big reputable ones because, ngl, despite being impressive, their architecture completely put me off. They just looked way too intimidating and like environments of really high pressure. Literally look at their photos and observe your feelings towards them lol.

I agree with not going to the really grand and well-known ones. Out of interest, which college did you initially like and which did you end up applying to? What made you change your mind?

Something that really changed my perspective was sitting on a secluded bench in Pembroke College yesterday and I just felt so at home there - maybe that's the one for me!
Original post by Mathemagicien

I didn't apply to them because I didn't think I'd get in :tongue:

A part of me did think I could have a decent shot at those colleges tbf (high UMS, poor background, plentiful PS (not that PS really counts))
I agree with not going to the really grand and well-known ones. Out of interest, which college did you initially like and which did you end up applying to? What made you change your mind?

Something that really changed my perspective was sitting on a secluded bench in Pembroke College yesterday and I just felt so at home there - maybe that's the one for me!

I initially was set on Peterhouse. I loved how small and traditional everything seemed. It was quiet and quaint. Then I got a bit wary of how small it is. I realised perhaps it was too small and too traditional. Imagine everyone knowing about your every little shameful secret :tongue: I also became fearful of the tradition, thinking perhaps it'd end up becoming stuffy.

I thought about Queens' after that, but it seemed a bit bland lol (no hate)

If I'm honest, my ultra-conservative parents played a part on which college I picked, but didn't influence me completely. I chose Newnham. I visited it in September, fell in love with the gardens, the calming and relaxed architecture and the general atmosphere and warmness of the people. I remember walking through the gardens on a tour and thinking, 'this just feels like where I belong'.

Plus it's away from the bustle of the centre and it's quiet, but it's not too far from the main biology/chemistry lecture centres.
Of the two, Pembroke because I like the way it looks.

I was a Downing applicant myself, many years ago. I don't remember why I chose it, but doubt much thought went into it.
Reply 15
Which Cambridge college do you prefer, Pembroke or Emmanuel? Why?Help me decide!

So you invest lots of time and effort picking the "perfect" college for you. Months in advance of the deadline.

And then you get pooled... (or rejected).
Reply 16
Original post by jneill
So you invest lots of time and effort picking the "perfect" college for you. Months in advance of the deadline.

And then you get pooled... (or rejected).

This is a good point, however if I have a specific college (and therefore a specific goal) in mind, I will be even more motivated to get there as I will be able to envision where I want to end up. This will make me work harder so I would be more likely to get in.
Reply 17
This is a good point, however if I have a specific college (and therefore a specific goal) in mind, I will be even more motivated to get there as I will be able to envision where I want to end up. This will make me work harder so I would be more likely to get in.

Good luck! :smile:
Reply 18
Original post by jneill
Good luck! :smile:

Thank you! :h::h:

I do understand what you are saying, though, and I am trying not to get myself too hyped up about Cambridge in case I don't get a place.
Reply 19
Original post by Serine Soul
I initially was set on Peterhouse. I loved how small and traditional everything seemed. It was quiet and quaint. Then I got a bit wary of how small it is. I realised perhaps it was too small and too traditional. Imagine everyone knowing about your every little shameful secret :tongue: I also became fearful of the tradition, thinking perhaps it'd end up becoming stuffy.

I thought about Queens' after that, but it seemed a bit bland lol (no hate)

If I'm honest, my ultra-conservative parents played a part on which college I picked, but didn't influence me completely. I chose Newnham. I visited it in September, fell in love with the gardens, the calming and relaxed architecture and the general atmosphere and warmness of the people. I remember walking through the gardens on a tour and thinking, 'this just feels like where I belong'.

Plus it's away from the bustle of the centre and it's quiet, but it's not too far from the main biology/chemistry lecture centres.

Thank you for sharing that with me as it gives me more things to consider. I have yet to visit Newnham, but I have heard many wonderful things about how breathtakingly beautiful it is! The trouble is, though, that they're all so beautiful that if you're going for aesthetics then it's so difficult to decide!

Did you get an offer, if this is not a rude question? (I'm assuming you did since you probably would have said so if you didn't).

Quick Reply

Latest