The Student Room Group

Career progression..

Out of interest, is there greater opportunity to progress in primary or secondary teaching? I know that head of departments only exist in secondary, but I just wondered if there are similar positions in primary education.

Thank you

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 1
In primary, you have head of key stages ie key stage 1 and 2 and also subject leads eg Mathematics or Phonics.
Original post by skiingjj
In primary, you have head of key stages ie key stage 1 and 2 and also subject leads eg Mathematics or Phonics.

This will vary depending on the size of the school. Where I trained there was a leader per phase (Eyfs, ks1, lower ks2 and upper ks2), plus all of the subject leader positions, so there was a lot of management opportunities. Where I work now is a slightly smaller school and we do have an EYFS leader, but no designated ks1 or ks2 leaders.
Original post by peanutbuttercup
Out of interest, is there greater opportunity to progress in primary or secondary teaching? I know that head of departments only exist in secondary, but I just wondered if there are similar positions in primary education.

Thank you

I don't know about primary schools but I would certainly say the number of opportunities available varies a lot between schools as there is no one set structure for all schools.

In my school (in addition to SLT, SENCo, etc.), we have:
-Heads of Department
-2nd in Department (for some, larger departments - not for all).
-Heads of Year (whereas in some schools these are non-teaching pastoral staff).
-Gifted and Talented co-ordinator
-2 staff in charge of organising inter-house competition
-5 teachers who work on coaching others and leading CPD to improve the quality of teaching in the school (this is my role).

Obviously some of these are bigger responsibilities than others. The last 3 on the list are a fairly small TLR with little or no additional PPA in which to carry out the additional responsibilities. But they're a good stepping-stone to further progression if you want it, or a way to remain a full-time classroom teacher whilst having slightly higher pay and responsibility (which personally is where I'd prefer to stay...).

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending