The Student Room Group

How to answer when people ask why I'm single?

Scroll to see replies

Becauae i am waiting for a miracle :h: then i would be in a relationship :rolleyes: is what i tell people
It shuts them up quick time:tongue:
Reply 21
I usually say the truth in jokey/funny way so it doesn't sound awkward:

Whatever your reason it, mix in some humour and tell the truth so you don't have to make up even more complicated answers.

I usually say: I failed social life at uni, was too busy with studies, was stupid enough not get any hints and I always add >I'm planning to adopt some kittens soon< :smile:

people laugh, it doesn't sound too awkward and I don't need to lie :smile:
Original post by Anonymous
I'm a girl nearing her mid-20s and still in education. How do I answer the question "why are you single" when people ask? Everyone at my part-time job is female and in their 20s too, so conversation is always about guys.
It makes me feel uncomfortable as I've never dated, but don't want to be rude when asked :/

I liked saying " I haven't found anyone good enough yet". And leave it as that.

I don't like the answers like " I'm waiting for a miracle, or I don't have a social life" or whatever else people have been suggesting - don't put yourself down just because you're single. Be proud that you have other priorities.

You're in education and have high standards. You're not just about to date anyone who glances at you.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by stargirl63
I liked saying " I haven't found anyone good enough yet". And leave it as that.

I don't like the answers like " I'm waiting for a miracle, or I don't have a social life" or whatever else people have been suggesting - don't put yourself down just because you're single. Be proud that you have other priorities.

You're in education and have high standards. You're not just about to date anyone who glances at you.

Thank you. Reading that definitely cheered me up (:
Thank you. Reading that definitely cheered me up (:

The girls I know who had relationships from a young age, moving from boyfriend to boyfriend, are doing part time hair dressing courses and have children in primary school. (Yes not all of them, but a hell of a lot of them.)

Honestly, you haven't found anyone good enough yet! I used to say things like "well, I am the whole, package, and I expect the same" ...the level of confidence shakes people (and they don't ask you again) because they aren't used to it. Be proud of yourself, that you have your life in gear.

Don't comply to social norms...ever. Society don't know what they want. On one hand, they ask why people are single, the other hand they ask "you've been with this person so long, don't you want to concentrate on yourself, you're too young to settle down" , another is "break up with him because he's not worth it, it's better being single than to have an unhappy relationship".

Nothing is good enough for anyone. Regardless of what you do, there is always a criticism with your decision. So just concentrate on yourself, and don't put yourself down or joke awkwardly if you're single. You stand proud that you have standards.
"Why are you in a relationship?" is just as legit a question to say back to them. Go for it.

Though being single is too good to ever change IMO.
"guys only pump and dump me"
I can't really help it sozzz
I always thought this question was silly. I usually respond with '' what kinda question is that? ''. If they're single too I throw the question back at them.
Fight them
Reply 30
If you were honestly answering to yourself, why would you say you are single? Then tell them that with a smile :smile:

I also like the 'why are you in a relationship?" one.

Then you can bounce off their answer -

If they say because my partner is great or some variant of that, you can reply you haven't found someone like that.
If they say they want someone to support/depend on, you can reply that you're an independent woman and don't need to rely on anyone else.
And so on.

Whatever you reply, say it with confidence. It doesn't matter one scrap that you haven't had a relationship - don't let anyone make you feel like it does.
All you have to do as a girl is put yourself out there and wait for a guy to chase you.

same for dudes
Because your mother doesn't want anything too serious yet.
Original post by BefuddledPenguin
Because your mother doesn't want anything too serious yet.

:confused:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending