The Student Room Group

being overlooked by the opposite sex

Do you ever feel like you get overlooked by the opposite sex and that it kind of happens subtlety and tacitly without being obvious? Kind of like there are two brothers on my road who kind of always have girlfriends and girls coming in and out of their house. It's more obvious when you view someone else's success that you have been overlooked.

Scroll to see replies

This is a very confusing premise and conclusion.
Maybe you're not doing as much to make yourself known as those brothers :sly:
Nope. I overlook them.
I got overlooked all throughout school. I decided to ask one guy I was fairly close to why once, he said that I had a particular 'stereotype' attached to me that made guys reluctant to be with me.

You can probably guess what that stereotype is.
Original post by Serine Soul
I got overlooked all throughout school. I decided to ask one guy I was fairly close to why once, he said that I had a particular 'stereotype' attached to me that made guys reluctant to be with me.

You look like a lesbian don't you? :L
Reply 6

You play rugby?
Original post by TorpidPhil
You look like a lesbian don't you? :L

Tbf I make an effort to look girly but I won't be surprised if people think I am.
I get overlooked by everyone :s-smilie:
Original post by Virgili
You play rugby?

You don't get much rugby in bog-standard comps

I'm a nerd
If you are being overlooked there is a reason for it. Figure out what that reason is and you may be able to change it.

I noticed I was (and I guess still am) overlooked. From the people who told me as to why it was either because they felt intimidated by me (which they said was due to my quiet and reserved personality/ demeanour) or they assumed I was unavailable.

Point is, there will be a reason if this is a constant thing.
Overlooked by the same sex :sad:
sad times :nopity:
Reply 12
Original post by SophieSmall
If you are being overlooked there is a reason for it. Figure out what that reason is and you may be able to change it.

I noticed I was (and I guess still am) overlooked. From the people who told me as to why it was either because they felt intimidated by me (which they said was due to my quiet and reserved personality/ demeanour) or they assumed I was unavailable.

Hmm... If you are this assertive in real life while maintaining quiet I could certainly understand why, silence and timidity is seen as weakness, assertiveness and silence can be downright scary. Do you talk about yourself much, or ask other questions of people? I imagine you having a quite deep, calm but cold demeanour in honesty :tongue:
Reply 13
You don't get much rugby in bog-standard comps

I'm a nerd

Had one in the craphole I went to.

Oh, that stereotype. I like nerdy girls tbf, dat awkward moment when you ask your date if they can see something and they're not wearing glasses, except you asked them that 4 times already.
Original post by SophieSmall

Your very pretty.
Original post by Virgili
Hmm... If you are this assertive in real life while maintaining quiet I could certainly understand why, silence and timidity is seen as weakness, assertiveness and silence can be downright scary. Do you talk about yourself much, or ask other questions of people? I imagine you having a quite deep, calm but cold demeanour in honesty :tongue:

No I rarely talk about myself. I do ask questions but I don't often engage in conversations even with my friends. it's not because I'm not interested I just struggle to engage and keep up, I can find conversations quite stressful if I don't understand the topic of conversation or don't feel I can involve myself or add anything of use or value to the conversation :frown: So I often just stay quiet and only speak when I have something to say.

Which led to one of my friends in the past always introducing me as "Sophie, the girl who will say nothing. But when she does say something it'll be hilarious". Because I'd usually just try to involve myself by adding quips or banter remarks...I never know what else to say.
Original post by Virgili
Had one in the craphole I went to.

Oh, that stereotype. I like nerdy girls tbf, dat awkward moment when you ask your date if they can see something and they're not wearing glasses, except you asked them that 4 times already.

Well I'll be increasing my frequency of contact lenses wear soon and no one will ever know :biggrin:
Original post by Anonymous
Your very pretty.

Thank you.
Reply 18
Well I'll be increasing my frequency of contact lenses wear soon and no one will ever know :biggrin:

Nooo, the glasses fetish, some of us see through it.
Reply 19
Original post by Anonymous
Do you ever feel like you get overlooked by the opposite sex and that it kind of happens subtlety and tacitly without being obvious? Kind of like there are two brothers on my road who kind of always have girlfriends and girls coming in and out of their house. It's more obvious when you view someone else's success that you have been overlooked.

Just accidentally on purpose leak a dick pic online, then the girls will see what you're packing and will flock to you. And even if they don't flock, you will at least be on their radar as the guy with the dig bick, if you catch my drift :wink:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending