The Student Room Group
Students at Cornwall campus, University of Exeter
University of Exeter
Exeter

Racism and Classism and Homophobia at the University of Exeter

Hi everyone, I know this might be a somewhat controversial question but I just wanted to ask current students of Exeter what the relationship is like between different classes and different ethnicities within the University of a Exeter.

I have been told a few times that Exeter is visually ethnocentric which I kinda figured is similar to many offer highly statistical universities, but recently I've been hearing that there is a lot of negative behaviour and attitude from the majority of middle class students towards working class students, and even against the ethnic minority students,

I understand that Exeter has a large amount of international students but then aren't these students still middle class based on the fact that they had to pay £15,000 a year so even they can discriminate against working class ethnic students.

I my self am I working class ethnic minority and even though I still achieved well in my a levels (A*A*A) and so I deserve a place at Exeter just as anyone else, I'm a bit sceptical of how I will be treated, I was so unsure that right before I was going to pay for my accommodation I was considering going through clearing to another university. Having said that....I am just a dramatic person.
I remember speaking to one of the recruitment members for exeter and her reply was that "well it's because exeter itself is ethno centric" and I was thinking "yh but it's not the population of Exeter who are not the ones who enrol at the uni?!"

But yh, it would be really helpful to get some insight from other working class ethnic minority students of the dynamics between students at Exeter Uni, because from what I've been hearing it sounds like a lot of unreported and ur identified bullying just happens here.

Scroll to see replies

Why not visit the campus/city and see whether you like it or not. I am also a prospective student looking to apply this September and come from a working-class background + I am mixed race. I've also heard a few stories and read online experiences of students that have raised a few doubts within me.

Overall, if you can save up and visit the campus, only then can you make your mind up! I'll be visiting in June. There will be racism everywhere, but its just about finding out whether you feel comfortable in Exeter.

What are you going to study btw? :borat:

Woopse... I just realised how old this thread is....
(edited 8 years ago)
Students at Cornwall campus, University of Exeter
University of Exeter
Exeter
Original post by ibzmo
Hi everyone, I know this might be a somewhat controversial question but I just wanted to ask current students of Exeter what the relationship is like between different classes and different ethnicities within the University of a Exeter.

I have been told a few times that Exeter is visually ethnocentric which I kinda figured is similar to many offer highly statistical universities, but recently I've been hearing that there is a lot of negative behaviour and attitude from the majority of middle class students towards working class students, and even against the ethnic minority students,

I understand that Exeter has a large amount of international students but then aren't these students still middle class based on the fact that they had to pay £15,000 a year so even they can discriminate against working class ethnic students.

I my self am I working class ethnic minority and even though I still achieved well in my a levels (A*A*A) and so I deserve a place at Exeter just as anyone else, I'm a bit sceptical of how I will be treated, I was so unsure that right before I was going to pay for my accommodation I was considering going through clearing to another university. Having said that....I am just a dramatic person.
I remember speaking to one of the recruitment members for exeter and her reply was that "well it's because exeter itself is ethno centric" and I was thinking "yh but it's not the population of Exeter who are not the ones who enrol at the uni?!"

But yh, it would be really helpful to get some insight from other working class ethnic minority students of the dynamics between students at Exeter Uni, because from what I've been hearing it sounds like a lot of unreported and ur identified bullying just happens here.

When I was at an Open Day I overheard a white student make reference to another student being Indian when she was saying something about her being annoying.. Obviously people use ethnicity as a way of identifying people (e.g. 'that Chinese girl in our class). It can be useful and totally benign. But I got lowkey racist vibes tbh. Of course you'll find racism everywhere but Exeter did seem very white (this is coming from a white person btw)

PS lmao Parasite I didn't see your thing about the thread being old XD At least we've created an outlet for discussion of race and class at Exeter? Lol
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by redinthegrey
When I was at an Open Day I overheard a white student make reference to another student being Indian when she was saying something about her being annoying.. Obviously people use ethnicity as a way of identifying people (e.g. 'that Chinese girl in our class). It can be useful and totally benign. But I got lowkey racist vibes tbh. Of course you'll find racism everywhere but Exeter did seem very white (this is coming from a white person btw)

PS lmao Parasite I didn't see your thing about the thread being old XD At least we've created an outlet for discussion of race and class at Exeter? Lol

Aha, true! I hear a lot of negative things about Exeter about it being full of "posh totties", but I'll make my own mind up in June.

You don't hear a lot of stories about racism at other universities such as Bath or Bristol though.It worries me that there are many threads about racism in Exeter. I don't want a repeat of my secondary school experience at uni. Would be a waste of £9000 per year.

I just wanted to ask how did you feel about the Exeter open day? Did you like the university/people overall and what uni's did you apply to? :colone:
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 4
For this and other reasons, I think I'll be rejecting my offer (though I'm very grateful to - finally - get it.)
Original post by Assan
For this and other reasons, I think I'll be rejecting my offer (though I'm very grateful to - finally - get it.)

Where will you firm?
Original post by Assan

If you're going to reject a university based on hearsay, then that's on you.
Reply 7
Original post by Nameless Ghoul
If you're going to reject a university based on hearsay, then that's on you.

Emphasis on "for this and other reasons."

Not to mention, that hearsay also comes from an Exeter prof so.....

Not to mention, I did my research. Facebook groups, news articles, TSR.

I'm there to get a degree, not go to war.
Reply 8
Original post by redinthegrey
Where will you firm?

Really like York Law School, but still considering Birmingham for other reasons (job availability and diversity during the summers, for instance.)

Have to see what Warwick says as well...
Original post by Assan
Emphasis on "for this and other reasons."

Not to mention, that hearsay also comes from an Exeter prof so.....

Not to mention, I did my research. Facebook groups, news articles, TSR.

I'm there to get a degree, not go to war.

What on earth would a professor know about the social dynamics amongst the students? And if TSR counts for research, which itself is reporting conjecture and hearsay, then I don't have much faith in it.
What on earth would a professor know about the social dynamics amongst the students? And if TSR counts for research, which itself is reporting conjecture and hearsay, then I don't have much faith in it.

Actually,I think she made a smart decision. If she had gone to university with a giant chip on her shoulder, she -would- have had a bad time of it. I don't know if she can help it, since I don't know what her sixth form experience was like.

But I can promise if you go around looking for racism, you will have a chip on your shoulder ,you will find people don't like you and you will have a bad time of it.

So I think she made the right choice for her.
Original post by ThatOldGuy
Actually,I think she made a smart decision. If she had gone to university with a giant chip on her shoulder, she -would- have had a bad time of it. I don't know if she can help it, since I don't know what her sixth form experience was like.

But I can promise if you go around looking for racism, you will have a chip on your shoulder ,you will find people don't like you and you will have a bad time of it.

So I think she made the right choice for her.

After a month of people being nice and friendly to you, I think the chip would disappear. But I am not so much interested in which uni is right for the other poster; I am interested in the misguided claims she is making and the possibility that other applicants might actually believe them.
Original post by Assan
Really like York Law School, but still considering Birmingham for other reasons (job availability and diversity during the summers, for instance.)

Have to see what Warwick says as well...

You bash exeter for a lack of diversity then consider York? Isn't that just as bad? That being said i only remember seeing 2 black people in my entire exeter open day. Queen marys and UCL had a much better mix.

There's only 3 main diverse cities in england imo. London, Manchester at Birmingham.
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 13
Original post by Lawliettt
You bash exeter for a lack of diversity then consider York? Isn't that just as bad? That being said i only remember seeing 2 black people in my entire exeter open day. Queen marys and UCL had a much better mix.

There's only 3 main diverse cities in england imo. London, Manchester at Birmingham.

For the third time.... It's not about one issue.

I prefer York's program to Exeter's. Simple as.

I went to a high school that was primarily white, privileged, and only recently desegregated..

I did my first degree in Canada - and it wasn't multicultural Toronto.

I don't need everyone to be like me. And I don't need to avoid white people- my partner is white Oxbridge, European...on the surface, we're pretty different.

I am curious, and I'm looking for different perspectives and ideas. But there's a difference between engaging in debate and being subject to abuse. I'll be doing a law degree in two years - I don't have time for BS.

As an aside - don't live in England, can't visit campuses, etc. I have to work with the information available to me.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by Assan
I am curious, and I'm looking for different perspectives and ideas. But there's a difference between engaging in debate and being subject to abuse. I'll be doing a law degree in two years - I don't have time for BS.

You're not simply exploring different ideas if you claim that going to Exeter would be like "going to war". You're already set in your belief, no matter what other people tell you.
Oh I was just reading about the rife racism at such universities the the other day. Warwick was being discussed too and York and Exeter. There were student who actually reported cases on social media and showed evidence of the stuff that was happening
Original post by queen-bee
Oh I was just reading about the rife racism at such universities the the other day. Warwick was being discussed too and York and Exeter. There were student who actually reported cases on social media and showed evidence of the stuff that was happening

Do link.
Do link.

It's on people's individual Twitter accounts
Original post by queen-bee
It's on people's individual Twitter accounts

So you read posts individually from several people which claimed those universities were racist? It wasn't compiled on some clickbait website?
So you read posts individually from several people which claimed those universities were racist? It wasn't compiled on some clickbait website?

It was on my Twitter feed at the time,like two days ago.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending