The Student Room Group

Handing Cv to shops tips?

Really need a part time job x
Got No Experience
Never had a job before
I'm 17
Volunteer in a retail place for a week at least, so you have some experience to write down on your CV. Employers are picky and ask for experience
When handing in your CV - put it in an envelope, make sure you include your availability and put your name on top..
And apply online too. Good luck. Got my first job on my 19th birthday :biggrin:
This is kind of obvious, but don't just go to that one shop you're interested in, ask, then wait for weeks. Ask/hand in your CV at at least say 20 different shops because the likelihood of getting a job from any one shop is low. If you have to reject offers then that's totally normal and people will understand. Just be polite about it and don't burn bridges, maybe you can come back later.
Reply 3
Original post by william91919
This is kind of obvious, but don't just go to that one shop you're interested in, ask, then wait for weeks. Ask/hand in your CV at at least say 20 different shops because the likelihood of getting a job from any one shop is low. If you have to reject offers then that's totally normal and people will understand. Just be polite about it and don't burn bridges, maybe you can come back later.

Okay thanks x but what do I say?

Original post by samina_ay
Volunteer in a retail place for a week at least, so you have some experience to write down on your CV. Employers are picky and ask for experience
When handing in your CV - put it in an envelope, make sure you include your availability and put your name on top..
And apply online too. Good luck. Got my first job on my 19th birthday :biggrin:

Oo sounds good
Original post by Anonbabes
Okay thanks x but what do I say?

Oo sounds good

ask for the manager and say "hi, im looking for a job and i was hoping if there are any part time vacancies available?" If they say no, say "that's okay, could i leave my CV for future job opportunities"
If they say yes, just give your CV. Smile and be polite x
Reply 5
Original post by samina_ay
ask for the manager and say "hi, im looking for a job and i was hoping if there are any part time vacancies available?" If they say no, say "that's okay, could i leave my CV for future job opportunities"
If they say yes, just give your CV. Smile and be polite x

Aw good idea x

I really want to do 2weeks I. E every Saturday at hospital volunteering, and every Monday charity volunteering is that too much?
Reply 6
I wouldn't state your availability on your cv. If they're interested they'll give you a ring and you can probably negotiate when you can work. If your cv says outright you can't do the hours they want they'll probably just disregard it.

Most shops now do online applications which you should keep an eye out for. Some shops will even tell you not to leave your cv because they advertise all vacancies online. Some also have their own job application forms which they'd prefer you to use rather than hand in your own cv so ask to see if they have any.

I've had 2 part time jobs since age 16 (now 18) - the first was an online application and second was a paper job application that had to be printed off and mailed in to store.
Reply 7
Original post by ReeceM1
I wouldn't state your availability on your cv. If they're interested they'll give you a ring and you can probably negotiate when you can work. If your cv says outright you can't do the hours they want they'll probably just disregard it.

Most shops now do online applications which you should keep an eye out for. Some shops will even tell you not to leave your cv because they advertise all vacancies online. Some also have their own job application forms which they'd prefer you to use rather than hand in your own cv so ask to see if they have any.

I've had 2 part time jobs since age 16 (now 18) - the first was an online application and second was a paper job application that had to be printed off and mailed in to store.

Did you use indeed?

Did you do volunteering/ work experience?
Reply 8
Did you use indeed?

Did you do volunteering/ work experience?

I'd never done any volunteer work or had any work experience whatsoever when I got my first job. Generally 16,17,18 year olds will have jobs in retail or fast food because they're the industries that offer flexible working hours, and will employ those without any experience. If you have work experience that is a bonus but I don't think it is a deal breaker generally for jobs in these industries and the employers understand that as a student you probably don't have any and anyway they'll be happy to employee a young student as they can pay them less and they have a lower minimum wage.

Edit: and yes, I used indeed - most retail companies will advertise on there.
As said above its a good idea to do some volunteer work first, but not essential. your cv should be short and contain only relevant information.
There are books for writing your first cv, which cater for young people.
Be polite and know what you are going to say.
Shops can advertise in their own windows or it may be centralised and go through HR if it is a big company. You may just be asked to fill out a form or apply online.
Most industries (retail and fast food) will advertise internally before advertising externally so, it's hard to literally just got a job.

Most people get jobs in retail or fast food because they know someone who works there and probably got introduced to the manager by that person.

However, that being said, you could still get a job without any connections as long as your CV is on point.

@Anonbabes
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 11
Original post by ReeceM1
I'd never done any volunteer work or had any work experience whatsoever when I got my first job. Generally 16,17,18 year olds will have jobs in retail or fast food because they're the industries that offer flexible working hours, and will employ those without any experience. If you have work experience that is a bonus but I don't think it is a deal breaker generally for jobs in these industries and the employers understand that as a student you probably don't have any and anyway they'll be happy to employee a young student as they can pay them less and they have a lower minimum wage.

Edit: and yes, I used indeed - most retail companies will advertise on there.

What jobs can I apply for excluding sales assistant?

Is it better to apply online or hand CVs ?

My CV isn't great

Original post by 999tigger
As said above its a good idea to do some volunteer work first, but not essential. your cv should be short and contain only relevant information.
There are books for writing your first cv, which cater for young people.
Be polite and know what you are going to say.
Shops can advertise in their own windows or it may be centralised and go through HR if it is a big company. You may just be asked to fill out a form or apply online.

Thanks x

Original post by Blackstarr
Most industries (retail and fast food) will advertise internally before advertising externally so, it's hard to literally just got a job.

Most people get jobs in retail or fast food because they know someone who works there and probably got introduced to the manager by that person.

However, that being said, you could still get a job without any connections as long as your CV is on point.

@Anonbabes

My CV isn't on point :frown:
Aw good idea x

I really want to do 2weeks I. E every Saturday at hospital volunteering, and every Monday charity volunteering is that too much?

No it isn't

My CV isn't great

Thanks x

My CV isn't on point :frown:

I don't think mine is either.

You could post your CV privately on the TSR CV forum and someone would reply and give you advice on how to improve etc.

You could apply for waitressing jobs, fast food jobs, stock/warehouse assistants.

I'd say it is better to apply online for these jobs. Your cv will look empty on due to no experience. But on application forms they often ask you other questions about customer service, difficult customers and some companies even ask you to fill out a little test online which can set everyone on a level playing field effectively as they have something other than experience to judge you on as well.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending