The Student Room Group

Can I do English Language and Literature?

Something I am seriously considering doing at uni is English Language and Literature. I'm predicted all As, and my subjects are:
-Psychology
-English Language
-Drama and Theatre Studies
-Sociology
I am aware that some unis require English Literature as a must, but will those that don't even consider me if I keep Drama and Theatre Studies, Psychology and English Language to A2?

Thank you in advance for any help!
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by drowninginwork
Something I am seriously considering doing at uni is English Language and Literature. I'm predicted all As, and my subjects are:
-Psychology
-English Language
-Sociology
I am aware that some unis require English Literature as a must, but will those that don't even consider me if I keep Drama and Theatre Studies, Psychology and English Language to A2?

Every university will have a different opinion on this.

Unfortunately there aren't any shortcuts other than contacting each university directly and asking if you'd be considered/in with a chance with your A level subjects.

Did you have the option to take English Lit A level? If not then make that clear when you contact them. Also let them know your English lit GCSE results:smile:
Original post by PQ
Every university will have a different opinion on this.

Unfortunately there aren't any shortcuts other than contacting each university directly and asking if you'd be considered/in with a chance with your A level subjects.

Did you have the option to take English Lit A level? If not then make that clear when you contact them. Also let them know your English lit GCSE results:smile:

I did have the option to take English Lit A level, but was advised against taking two English courses and I got an A* for Language and an A for Literature at GCSE so I chose Language, wished I'd have taken it now! Thanks for the help :smile:
I did have the option to take English Lit A level, but was advised against taking two English courses and I got an A* for Language and an A for Literature at GCSE so I chose Language, wished I'd have taken it now! Thanks for the help :smile:

Also might I add that the universities that I am looking at tend to have requirements like:
"A in English literature or English language (or combined) at A level; four GCSE passes at grade A or above including English" - all of which I have/ hopefully will get.
Argh this university stuff is difficult :/
Also might I add that the universities that I am looking at tend to have requirements like:
"A in English literature or English language (or combined) at A level; four GCSE passes at grade A or above including English" - all of which I have/ hopefully will get.
Argh this university stuff is difficult :/

That's positive - get in touch with them. An afternoon sending out emails will be worth it to put your mind at rest and make sure you end up with 5 choices that are going to accept your A level subjects :smile:
-Psychology
-English Language
-Sociology

To be honest most unis will have the requirement of "English Literature at A-level or; English and Language Combined, Drama and Theatre Studies or Creative Writing". But since you have Drama and Theatre Studies and English Language, I don't think you'd be at a huge disadvantage.
Email all universities that you are interested in to ask about requirements! From my experience, you won't be at a disadvantage as most unis start off the year with introductory courses and sometimes it seems a bit dull as it's stuff you have already done but they kind of want to get you out of the a-level way of thinking because it is different at uni anyway! I'm also studying English Language and Literature at uni of Glasgow :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending