The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Zerforax
I'd be disappointed tbh. Origi might give you running and work-rate but he won't give you the same quality as Sturridge to put that leather sphere into that rectangle thing.

The goal at the weekend against Spurs - would Origi create that chance like Sturridge did?

Yh but most of our chances are going to come off the counter, Origi will be more suited for that rather than Sturridge who will be reluctant to sprint on the break.
Original post by samir12
Yh but most of our chances are going to come off the counter, Origi will be more suited for that rather than Sturridge who will be reluctant to sprint on the break.

Well our chances will only be on the counter if we play with Origi since he doesn't have the same level of intelligence and movement as Sturridge. The whole point of having players like Coutinho in the side is to create chances through creative football.

I don't know - I just think we don't have enough (or any) natural goalscorers if you don't have Sturridge on the pitch. Would be fine if the rest of the squad knew how to score.
Well our chances will only be on the counter if we play with Origi since he doesn't have the same level of intelligence and movement as Sturridge. The whole point of having players like Coutinho in the side is to create chances through creative football.

I don't know - I just think we don't have enough (or any) natural goalscorers if you don't have Sturridge on the pitch. Would be fine if the rest of the squad knew how to score.

We are playing against Dortmund who are better at pressing and retaining possession than us and are better on every position. We will be forced deep and have no choice at times but to play on the counter, Sturridge or no Sturridge. Dortmund play with more possession this season and so playing off the counter is probably our best chance tbh.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by samir12
We are playing against Dortmund who are better at pressing and retaining possession than us and are better on every position. We will be forced deep and have no choice at times but to play on the counter, Sturridge or no Sturridge.

I'd still expect us to create a few chances on the night - do you want those to fall to Origi or Sturridge?

Also think if we play with Origi, more players will just lump the ball up to him rather than actually trying to play our game. What's the point if we're bypassing Coutinho/Lallana all the time?

I still think - and believe Klopp thinks - that this side can still compete with anyone on a given (good) day. Are Dortmund significantly better than every English club in the league? We've given a pretty good account of ourselves under Klopp this season against all the traditional big names.
I'd be disappointed tbh. Origi might give you running and work-rate but he won't give you the same quality as Sturridge to put that leather sphere into that rectangle thing.

The goal at the weekend against Spurs - would Origi create that chance like Sturridge did?

While I'm sure we'll get chances (I watched the Dortmund vs Augsburg game the other week and was astounded at the chances Tuchel's lot afforded the opposition, especially during the opening stages) I'd be happy with Sturridge playing the final half an hour. Use him in the latter portion of the match, because he has hardly been clinical recently and I don't feel we can compensate for a lack of work-rate.
Original post by Mackay
While I'm sure we'll get chances (I watched the Dortmund vs Augsburg game the other week and was astounded at the chances Tuchel's lot afforded the opposition, especially during the opening stages) I'd be happy with Sturridge playing the final half an hour. Use him in the latter portion of the match, because he has hardly been clinical recently and I don't feel we can compensate for a lack of work-rate.

I'm not sure he'll get up to speed quickly in a game where he's thrown in where it's likely to be high tempo. More likely to work his way into the game from the start?
I'd still expect us to create a few chances on the night - do you want those to fall to Origi or Sturridge?

Also think if we play with Origi, more players will just lump the ball up to him rather than actually trying to play our game. What's the point if we're bypassing Coutinho/Lallana all the time?

I still think - and believe Klopp thinks - that this side can still compete with anyone on a given (good) day. Are Dortmund significantly better than every English club in the league? We've given a pretty good account of ourselves under Klopp this season against all the traditional big names.

The chances may not even fall to Sturridge at all if he is not willing to sprint in behind.
Probably because I'm not as pedantic as you. I'm generally talking about Henderson getting into attacking positions whether he runs through to the 6 yard box or gets into the penalty box or is just outside the penalty box in an attacking position to score.

Not sure what you are trying to narrowing characterise as 'lung busting run into the box' a la Lampard. Isn't getting into an attacking position the same as getting into an attacking position?

Err you were disputing that he gets into the box..? I was just pointing out you can make that run even if you don't score from it.

I'm not going to break it down into who said what, but I said that this image of him making lung busting runs is incorrect/largely pointless. If his runs produce f all (and for what it's worth, he doesn't make them as much as you say) then why are we discussing them, it's just a contributor to positional indiscipline.

If you want to say he's good at getting into attacking positions, then say that. As I did. Don't add strings to his bow which he hasn't earned.
Original post by samir12
The chances may not even fall to Sturridge at all if he is not willing to sprint in behind.

Possibly but you don't have to be lightning quick to score on counters. Firmino is absolutely lethal on counters and he's not rapid. Sturridge scored a goal on the counter against Soton just recently.

It's a close one and I don't know who I'd pick between Sturridge and Origi, leaning towards Sturridge but if he has a shocker of a first half then you've always got Origi to come on (and vice versa). I'm not going to pretend I know Firmino's fitness levels perfectly either, but he'd be my first choice forward.
I'm not sure he'll get up to speed quickly in a game where he's thrown in where it's likely to be high tempo. More likely to work his way into the game from the start?

Disagree. Origi can pack a day's worth of running in from minute one, so I'd be tempted to start him because the game won't be as high tempo in the latter stages. If the game is stretched, I'd prefer Sturridge than Origi later on.

I just feel the striker, whoever it is, is going to be isolated tonight. They may cut a frustrated figure at times, and will need to work and work. Those traits lie more overtly in Origi than Sturridge, in my honest opinion.
Original post by Mackay
I just feel the striker, whoever it is, is going to be isolated tonight. They may cut a frustrated figure at times, and will need to work and work. Those traits lie more overtly in Origi than Sturridge, in my honest opinion.

And what benefit will their work give?

Origi has 2 goals in 950 minutes in league and Europe this season. He is, on average, taking just two shots per 90, half of Sturridge. Sure he tries and he offers a moment of physicality to enjoy every match but at the end of the day he's just not as good a goalscorer or striker as Sturridge.
Original post by samir12

Yea it's a fair point but I just think Sturridge is more capable of creating and scoring than Origi. Not sure Coutinho and Lallana are the perfect pair to be picking up lay-offs either?

Original post by Mackay
Disagree. Origi can pack a day's worth of running in from minute one, so I'd be tempted to start him because the game won't be as high tempo in the latter stages. If the game is stretched, I'd prefer Sturridge than Origi later on.

Well Origi won't have the same level of quality as the other players on the pitch. Maybe it's better to use him when the Dortmund players aren't as fresh?

Yea I think you're right about being isolated. Guess Origi would stretch via the channels more where Sturridge is probably more likely to come in deep to get involved.
:eek: Borussia have scored 116 goals this season and are unbeaten since the winter break :eek:
:eek: Borussia have scored 116 goals this season and are unbeaten since the winter break :eek:

Thats why we need the away goals, we don't necessarily have to beat them to go through.

Well Origi won't have the same level of quality as the other players on the pitch. Maybe it's better to use him when the Dortmund players aren't as fresh?

Yea I think you're right about being isolated. Guess Origi would stretch via the channels more where Sturridge is probably more likely to come in deep to get involved.

I also think Sturridge will just become so frustrated on nights like tonight, if he was running for 70 minutes with little purchase or reward. I can just imagine his face now, being substituted on 65 or 70 without scoring.
Original post by Mackay
I also think Sturridge will just become so frustrated on nights like tonight, if he was running for 70 minutes with little purchase or reward. I can just imagine his face now, being substituted on 65 or 70 without scoring.

I can imagine the dance when he scores a hattrick :colondollar:

Yes I'm currently going through my delusional excitement phase before a big game :colonhash:
3-0 Dortmund
RIP
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by difeo
3-0 Dortmund
RIP

I saw this post and thought we were playing an early game!!
U bitch, I got well sad then :frown:

Not confident about tonight though. A draw or loss by 1 would be a decent result but United showed in the last round how detrimental it can be not to score an away goal.

Dortmund are easily a better team than us but Klopp has shown this season that he can get us beating teams with higher quality than us. If we're still competitive after tonight, there's no saying what could happen at Anfield.
Either way, there's no shame going out to a team like Dortmund if it goes that way.
The love in between Liverpool and Dortmund fans is becoming quite annoying. Nothing wrong with having a laugh and sharing a beer with fans of other teams when on a euro away trip, but both sets of fans are pretty much sucking each other off now. Quite cringe worthy imo.
Mignolet, Clyne, Lovren, Sakho, Moreno, Henderson, Can, Milner, Lallana, Coutinho, Origi.

Subs: Ward, Toure, Smith, Allen, Ibe, Firmino, Sturridge.

Latest