The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by DiddyDec
They should at least convict them before killing them.

Posted from TSR Mobile

you're such an edgy teen omg 10/10 absolutely hilarious
Original post by KingBradly
What about that little girl who was shot dead in her cot by a police officer? Was that due to a problem with the black community? Your argument sounds like whataboutery. I should hope black people are more likely to kill each other than get killed by cops, given that cops make up such a smaller percentage of the US population and are supposed to keep order.

Not whataboutery (and if it came across that way it certainly wasn't my intention)

Just saying they more of themselves than the police do but I'm yet to see a campaign highlighting this within the community on a scale with the #blacklivesmatter campaign

But yes they do keep order and they keep it through force,
Original post by trillinhomie
you're such an edgy teen omg 10/10 absolutely hilarious

Not even a teen.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Not even a teen.

Posted from TSR Mobile

that's even worse mane
Original post by BaconandSauce
Not whataboutery (and if it came across that way it certainly wasn't my intention)

Just saying they more of themselves than the police do but I'm yet to see a campaign highlighting this within the community on a scale with the #blacklivesmatter campaign

But yes they do keep order and they keep it through force,

I would hardly call the Ferguson riots "order".
I would hardly call the Ferguson riots "order".

Nor would I but they were stopped by force as is the USA's way
Nor would I but they were stopped by force as is the USA's way

And started due to the police using force.
And started due to the police using force.

I know it's a cause of cause and effect

But individuals choose to riot the police didn't force them to.
A few? Oh come on, there's another case every day. And what about the US police asking for a boycott of Tarantino films because he spoke at a BLM rally? Sounds very much like it's a gang which is only interesting in serving and protecting itself.

Sure there are good cops, but when theres that many bad apples, there's something wrong with the tree.

Even if a new policeman shot dead an innocent person every single day that would equate to about 0.0003% of all police in America. You're judging a huge group of people based on the actions of a few. When people do that to Muslims we call it islamophobia but when people do it to the US police it's seen as acceptable.

Don't misrepresent what actually happened with regard to Tarantino. The boycott was threatened because Tarantino referred generally to police as murderers. Just to sum up the ignorance around the police in America he then referred to the shooting of a police officer as 'unfortunate'. I suppose the thirty who have already been killed this year were 'unfortunate' too. While I accept the number of people police kill will be higher than the number of them killed, not everyone shot by police is innocent.

Posted from TSR Mobile
>a movement lead by a white guy masquerading as black (Shaun King)
>a movement where one of its leaders tweeted about wanting to kill men and white people
>a movement which suppresses free speech and covers up stats of black crime

No thanks. #BlackLivesMatter can go to hell as far as I'm concerned.

#AllLivesMatter
Original post by trillinhomie
Y'all need to support this ****

The Black Lives Matter Movement in the U.S. is built upon a level of indignation that is only partially justified. Police do sometimes abuse their power, and the victims are often people of color. There is no doubt that race plays a role. I would argue that the greater contributor is poverty. The social reality is that more black people live in poverty and the contentious areas for police are often predominately black neighborhoods.

Police officers come into these areas and are confronted with both, criminal behavior from some and a hostile attitude from most. Police officers are black, white, hispanic, and all other races. They are also working class dudes. The average level of education is marginal and the pay is low. The community know exactly what police can and can't legally do, and that can be exploited.

Imagine yourself in their average shoes. They are probably male, and somewhat athletic. Considerable pride is a motivation. Wearing a uniform, having authority, and getting respect are a large reason for choosing the job. However, they really do want to fight crime and be a hero. Instead they find themselves day in and day out dealing with criminals and underclasses who know exactly how to provoke them and get away with it. The delusion is shattered, and they realize the few will get a legitimate chance for glory. Instead they are a glorified doormat.

I would never be a police officer, because I don't have the temperament for it. I would have the best of intentions but I would eventually retaliate when provoked by people whose behavior deserved my contempt. I would throw them down harder than necessary, I would put the cuffs on too tight, I might bump their head when putting them in the van, and I might even hit the brakes real hard to give them a "rough ride". I would never be capable of cold blooded murder, and neither are almost every police officer. There have been exceptions and those cops deserve to rot in prison for the rest of their lives.

A well trained guard shouldn't bite someone just for teasing it. The owner will still be liable for it when it does. Don't expect me feel overly sympathetic for the victim though.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Underscore__
Even if a new policeman shot dead an innocent person every single day that would equate to about 0.0003% of all police in America. You're judging a huge group of people based on the actions of a few. When people do that to Muslims we call it islamophobia but when people do it to the US police it's seen as acceptable.

This "we" you talk about doesn't include myself. I'm a serious critic of Islam and believe the same about that group as I do the US police. When you have that many bad apples, something is wrong with the tree. Also, don't just pull statistics out of your arse. Give me a real one.

Original post by Underscore__

Don't misrepresent what actually happened with regard to Tarantino. The boycott was threatened because Tarantino referred generally to police as murderers. Just to sum up the ignorance around the police in America he then referred to the shooting of a police officer as 'unfortunate'. I suppose the thirty who have already been killed this year were 'unfortunate' too. While I accept the number of people police kill will be higher than the number of them killed, not everyone shot by police is innocent.

Posted from TSR Mobile

But the problem is that lots are.
I know it's a cause of cause and effect

But individuals choose to riot the police didn't force them to.

I think they felt they had to riot because they (rightly) want change.

I know.

but I've need been comfortable with people using violence as way of complaining about violence

and as we see usually the people they cause most misery to is themselves and their own community.

How does looting promote change, other than the change of having a new TV?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 35
All lives matter.
How does looting promote change, other than the change of having a new TV?

Posted from TSR Mobile

I'm guessing the looters were just opportunists. They don't represent the whole movement.
I'm guessing the looters were just opportunists. They don't represent the whole movement.

So the rioters represent the movement?

Posted from TSR Mobile
So the rioters represent the movement?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yes.
Original post by TheIr0nDuke
>a movement lead by a white guy masquerading as black (Shaun King)
>a movement where one of its leaders tweeted about wanting to kill men and white people
>a movement which suppresses free speech and covers up stats of black crime

No thanks. #BlackLivesMatter can go to hell as far as I'm concerned.

#AllLivesMatter

1) Why does the fact that its a white guy starting the movement got to do with anything
2) If a leader says some **** like that, why does it undermine the meaning of the movement
3) What has black crime gotta do with this? You saying black people commit crime so innocent blacks deserve to get shot?

No thanks, you can go to hell as far as im concerned.

Latest