The Student Room Group

Best friend's gf has banned him from talking to me.

So basically what the title says.

My best friend and his gf got back together from their breakup a few months ago and ever since, he's become really distant. He barely replied to my texts and whenever I ask if he wants to hang out, he always turns it down. I found this very fishy because normally he's always up for hanging out and when I asked his gf, she was very vague about it. Later on, a mutual friend told me that he was being weird because of his gf. I confronted my best friend about this and he told me that when him and gf got back together, she said she felt threatened by me and so had banned him from talking to me.

I was shocked because the gf used to be really nice to me before and was totally fine with me and her bf being friends. He said that he had tried to make her change her mind but she's sticking to it and then she tried to make him feel guilty. I don't know what to do because the gf's been very rude to me lately and I can't even talk to my best friend because of her.

What do I do? I'm a girl btw.
Original post by Anonymous
So basically what the title says.

My best friend and his gf got back together from their breakup a few months ago and ever since, he's become really distant. He barely replied to my texts and whenever I ask if he wants to hang out, he always turns it down. I found this very fishy because normally he's always up for hanging out and when I asked his gf, she was very vague about it. Later on, a mutual friend told me that he was being weird because of his gf. I confronted my best friend about this and he told me that when him and gf got back together, she said she felt threatened by me and so had banned him from talking to me.

I was shocked because the gf used to be really nice to me before and was totally fine with me and her bf being friends. He said that he had tried to make her change her mind but she's sticking to it and then she tried to make him feel guilty. I don't know what to do because the gf's been very rude to me lately and I can't even talk to my best friend because of her.

What do I do? I'm a girl btw.

That girlfriend sounds like bad news as she seems to be controlling who he can spend time with.
Maybe you can talk to the gf yourself. And ask her how she feels and what you can do to avoid that. Maybe make up and become friends with both of them?

If you're close with both then she probably wouldn't be as threatened?

That's all I can think of.
Reply 3
She's threatened by you for some reason. But he's no friend if he's under her thumb. Ignore him and her
Reply 4
Original post by BristolFresher15
Maybe you can talk to the gf yourself. And ask her how she feels and what you can do to avoid that. Maybe make up and become friends with both of them?

If you're close with both then she probably wouldn't be as threatened?

That's all I can think of.

I have tried and she doesn't even say anything. I was friends with her. I don't know why she's become so rude ever since we both got into Year 13.
Reply 5
Original post by SMEGGGY
She's threatened by you for some reason. But he's no friend if he's under her thumb. Ignore him and her

Apparently when they broke up, she was going around and asking mutual friends about me and whether me and her ex bf were going out or not. Idk why.
Original post by Anonymous
I have tried and she doesn't even say anything. I was friends with her. I don't know why she's become so rude ever since we both got into Year 13.

Well then, unfortunately it seems there nothing you can do except hope your friend breaks up with her. She does seem controlling and insecure so she probably isn't the best gf anyway.
Reply 7
Original post by BristolFresher15
Well then, unfortunately it seems there nothing you can do except hope your friend breaks up with her. She does seem controlling and insecure so she probably isn't the best gf anyway.

They've been together for ages. I doubt he would.
Any one male or female should not be telling people not to talk to other people
Absolutely nothing you can do about it.
Reply 10
Original post by loveleest
Absolutely nothing you can do about it.

Disagree, warn him his girlfriend is controlling and if he shuts you out like this you will never, ever be friends again, and go through with it.
Original post by Virgili
Disagree, warn him his girlfriend is controlling and if he shuts you out like this you will never, ever be friends again, and go through with it.

well he clearly wants to pick his girlfriend over his friend. (Which should always happen) So what is the point of her saying all of that lol. She should just move on honestly. She can find a new male friend if she wants.
Reply 12
Original post by loveleest
well he clearly wants to pick his girlfriend over his friend. (Which should always happen) So what is the point of her saying all of that lol. She should just move on honestly. She can find a new male friend if she wants.

Controlling girlfriend won't last, he'll realise how stupid he has been, when he has no one to fall back on he'll learn not to push people away.
Original post by Virgili
Controlling girlfriend won't last, he'll realise how stupid he has been, when he has no one to fall back on he'll learn not to push people away.

I have doubts it would end. He adores her. It's been like this for months and he hasn't done anything.
This happened to me last year.
I invited her to my house for a chat, basically just to show her that I am a genuine person and not interested in her BF like that. He came round too after about an hour. I thought all had gone well but after they left he message me to say that we weren't to speak anymore.
I messaged the both of them to say that I am sorry to hear that and I don't really understand why etc.

Around 3/4 months later they split up (after arguing about the situation constantly) and he came running back to apologise. He is since with a much nicer girl who trusts him completely.

It will run it's course. Don't worry! It's sad that you lose a friend for a while, but he will see what she is like once she starts to take more of his friends away from him. Just hold on!
you have plenty of other friends
he only has one girlfriend
just respect her wishes and leave them alone you don't want to be the reason they're arguing and falling out all the time
What a nasty girl she is

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending