The Student Room Group

US vs UK

Hi, I was wondering a couple of things regarding the study of law in the US and the UK.
If I wanna become a New York lawyer, is it better to go to a college in the US and then law school.
Or is it better to go to a University in the UK and then study for the NY bar?
I have applied to some of the best unis in both the UK and US.
Also, which Majors would you recommend in the US for law school?
Thanks
You would be cheaper to study in the UK and take the bar, and that is what i would do if I were you.

I don't know what unis you have a applied to, but there are some courses in England that offer English and American Law degrees so this might be something you would be interested in.

If you still wanted to go ahead with studying in the US then I have heard that politics is one of the suggested majors for entering into post grad law.

Best doing research about which US uni you would want to attend and what their advice would be on the matter.
Depends where you get offers from and what your finances are. Do you have the right to work and live there?
Reply 3
Yes, i could study and work in both the US and the UK. I am just wondering if the transition is easy from a LLB or BA in Law in the UK, to doing the Bar and Masters in the USA.
Also, I have heard about how expensive Law School is in the US.
Original post by fistitos
Yes, i could study and work in both the US and the UK. I am just wondering if the transition is easy from a LLB or BA in Law in the UK, to doing the Bar and Masters in the USA.
Also, I have heard about how expensive Law School is in the US.

Imo I'd say US as that is your ultimate destination.
You are going to have to do the math over the expense issue. You need more information.
Reply 5
Original post by 999tigger
Imo I'd say US as that is your ultimate destination.
You are going to have to do the math over the expense issue. You need more information.

Also, how long should one study for the Bar exam in the US?
And what are good majors to do for studying law?
Also, how long should one study for the Bar exam in the US?
And what are good majors to do for studying law?

If you were in the US then you would be following all the other law students taking the bar.
Cant help you there. If you went to the US you would be able to ask them.
Hi, I was wondering a couple of things regarding the study of law in the US and the UK.
If I wanna become a New York lawyer, is it better to go to a college in the US and then law school.
Or is it better to go to a University in the UK and then study for the NY bar?
I have applied to some of the best unis in both the UK and US.
Also, which Majors would you recommend in the US for law school?
Thanks

I think it would be better to go to college in the US followed by law school if you want to go to the NY bar. Not only do you gain a better knowledge and understanding of US law, you will also have an advantage over other internationally trained lawyers. However, and I think you already know it, it will take a lot of financial resources to complete 7 years of education.

You could also opt for the UK option, followed by studying for the NY bar, but entry into the NY legal field is going to be really tough.

As for the majors, it doesn't matter as long as you do an excellent job in your undergraduate degree with good grades on your LSAT (think of it as LNAT, but much more difficult with a lot more sections).

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending