The Student Room Group

How to lose fat on my belly

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
People think doing ab exercises will give you a thinner, better looking belly but its so not true. To get a thinner stomach you literally just have to eat less calories, its that simple. I lost a decent amount of fat a few years ago by just only drinking water (I'd say like 60% of sugars come from drinks maybe more) , not eating very obvious sweets/unhealthy **** (made no other diet changes) and doing exercise twice a week. Obviously it depends on the exercise you are doing as I was doing jiujitsu which meant about 1000 calories a session lost (ridiculously good exercise), whereas if you start out running you will be burning maybe 300-400 calories a run, if that.

And you mentioned you dont like fruit......fruit is impressively unhealthy for you. The whole natural vs not natural sugar is :dolphin::dolphin::dolphin::dolphin::dolphin::dolphin::dolphin::dolphin: and its all the same thing. Dont worry about counting calories just aim to cut sugar mainly, for example, white bread is basically like eating a sweet once your stomach has digested it. Its surprisingly helpful to learn the biology of sugars, polysaccharides etc, it will make it easier and make sense of what you are actually doing.
Original post by -Bangs-
People think doing ab exercises will give you a thinner, better looking belly but its so not true. To get a thinner stomach you literally just have to eat less calories, its that simple.

Plenty of people here agree with that.

Where your calories come from depends on what your diet is, so you must have been drinking a lot of sugary drinks

How many calories you burn is just a case of your weight, activity, intensity and duration. If you are going to compare calorie burns it has to be like with like.

I dont think people do the natural v non natural sugar debate. Fruit is great for you in moderation because unlike sugary drinks, fruit is packed full of vitamins and nutrients. Its fine to eat and it cna be very handt at time for carb release.

Counting calories and weighing your food is the most accurate way of determining if you are at a deficit. Its like having a sat nav of where you need to be on the consumption map.
Reply 22
1) You can't spot reduce fat - eg you can't do ab exercises to take belly fat off. The body doesn't choose where to take fat off.
2) To lose weight you need to burn more calories than you take in.
3) Diet is probably the biggest thing, but working out will help.

To lower calories don't eat sweets, or don't drink fizzy drinks. Try to not eat junk food and cook your own food.
For exercise, try lifting weights as when you do, your body continues to burn calories even AFTER you have finished working out, making it very effective for losing weight.
Reply 23
I just dont think anyone, apart from athletes, should or need to count calories. It just leads to obsession and is way harder than it needs to be.

Obviously, I dont mean just dont eat fruit but some people who decide to eat "healthy" just eat loads of fruit all day because they are hungry and think its okay becuase its fruit.
Original post by -Bangs-
I just dont think anyone, apart from athletes, should or need to count calories. It just leads to obsession and is way harder than it needs to be.

Obviously, I dont mean just dont eat fruit but some people who decide to eat "healthy" just eat loads of fruit all day because they are hungry and think its okay becuase its fruit.

Give people some credit. Their portion control is not working because they eat too much. calorie counting is the most accurate way of measuring how much you eat and then you can ensure you are at the correct deficit. It helps edycate many people.

Thats where learning some basic nutrition helps.
Original post by davidguettafan
I'm average build everywhere except on my belly which is really fat unfortunately, probably due to eating too much.

What is the best way to lose this fat apart from eating more healthily?

Obviously exercise but what type of exercise, jogging? As I have been doing some jogging and building up a sweat but have not noticed much of a difference to be fair.

Posted from TSR Mobile

everyday go out for a walk for an hour and soon you will lose weight..
Reply 26
Jog or run 5 km 3 times a week. Do 50 crunches every other day. Eat light in the evening. Especially stay away from pizza.
Reply 27
Original post by 999tigger
Give people some credit. Their portion control is not working because they eat too much. calorie counting is the most accurate way of measuring how much you eat and then you can ensure you are at the correct deficit. It helps edycate many people.

Thats where learning some basic nutrition helps.

Yes maybe if the person is actually obese or, as stated, an athlete then the calorie counting is worth it but the OP said they just have fat on their belly. A full blown calorie counting diet is just not worth it when all that has to be done is eat less obvious unhealthy **** and do a bit of exericse.
Original post by -Bangs-
Yes maybe if the person is actually obese or, as stated, an athlete then the calorie counting is worth it but the OP said they just have fat on their belly. A full blown calorie counting diet is just not worth it when all that has to be done is eat less obvious unhealthy **** and do a bit of exericse.

It is but not everyones sensible. You can do trial and error, but the most reliable way is to calorie count then you arent guessing whether you are or are not at a deficit. If you are only going for a sleight weight loss, then 250 calories is a mars bar less a day.

Calorie count is easy if you weigh your food, but use mfp which works out the calories for you. Dont forget a lot of dieters try many times and cnat use consistent common sense.
Reply 29
Original post by 999tigger
It is but not everyones sensible. You can do trial and error, but the most reliable way is to calorie count then you arent guessing whether you are or are not at a deficit. If you are only going for a sleight weight loss, then 250 calories is a mars bar less a day.

Calorie count is easy if you weigh your food, but use mfp which works out the calories for you. Dont forget a lot of dieters try many times and cnat use consistent common sense.

If theres ever been a reason to stop people loosing weight, its making it harder. Who tf is gonna weigh their food before eating? It shouldnt be a diet anyway its just a change in lifestyle which anyone can do.
Original post by -Bangs-
If theres ever been a reason to stop people loosing weight, its making it harder. Who tf is gonna weigh their food before eating? It shouldnt be a diet anyway its just a change in lifestyle which anyone can do.

It's hardly strenuous to weigh what you're about to cook and then eat. Takes a matter of seconds.
Original post by -Bangs-

You miss the point its just a way of accurately measuring something. It is a method of controlling your consumption, something overweight people have not been successful at. Anyone can do it, but 60% of the population havent managed it.

You should look at the latest apps and then youd realise how easy it is. You cant have tried them.
Original post by Angry cucumber
It's hardly strenuous to weigh what you're about to cook and then eat. Takes a matter of seconds.

I agree. I weigh out most of my foods as in the past i have struggled with potion control.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 33
No **** its a way of measuring something??? I am saying from personal experience, if too be healthier I had to weigh my food first I would instantly reach for the unhealthy thing.

Quick Reply

Latest