The Student Room Group
Freshers Week, University of Bath
University of Bath
Bath

Bath acceptance

Got my place for Bath Pharmacology course (AAB) from doing Biology, Chemistry and History, which I was super pleased with. Went to the UCAS day and met the head of department etc and in the 1 to 1 session we had I felt I made a very good impression (spoke at length about the course and was complimented on my natural interest into the subject etc)
However since then I have been battling with the worry of putting Bath as my firm choice; I got BCC last year and with new predicted grades around the AAB/ABB mark which were seemingly not a problem, however the deadline for accommodation application is coming up and I need to make a decision soon.

In short, with re-sitting an AS chemistry module in the summer, my teacher has been rather on the fence about putting Bath as firm - are there any cases when Bath have been more open to slightly lower grades?:frown: As others have said they are quite strict yet you always here things about people being let in regardless.

Deadline for Firm is on the 7th to get access to accommodation for the 12th, don't want to hesitate and potentially miss out on desired accommodation (which is another Q - Quads or Marlborough/Salsbury?)

Cheers
Original post by ljamest
Got my place for Bath Pharmacology course (AAB) from doing Biology, Chemistry and History, which I was super pleased with. Went to the UCAS day and met the head of department etc and in the 1 to 1 session we had I felt I made a very good impression (spoke at length about the course and was complimented on my natural interest into the subject etc)
However since then I have been battling with the worry of putting Bath as my firm choice; I got BCC last year and with new predicted grades around the AAB/ABB mark which were seemingly not a problem, however the deadline for accommodation application is coming up and I need to make a decision soon.

In short, with re-sitting an AS chemistry module in the summer, my teacher has been rather on the fence about putting Bath as firm - are there any cases when Bath have been more open to slightly lower grades?:frown: As others have said they are quite strict yet you always here things about people being let in regardless.

Deadline for Firm is on the 7th to get access to accommodation for the 12th, don't want to hesitate and potentially miss out on desired accommodation (which is another Q - Quads or Marlborough/Salsbury?)

Cheers

There is no general answer to whether Bath is open to accepting you with slightly lower grades because it depends on a lot of things. If you get slightly lower grades than the entry requirements, they could still let you on the course but it depends on whether the other pharmacology firmers got AAB and if there's still places available. They would probably also look at your overall application again with your PS and reference to decide if they'll let you regardless of you not achieving the grades.

I think if you wanna go there, then firm it. If you don't get the grades, who knows, you could still get in. There's still a chance of going to Bath if you firm but no chance if you don't. Just in case, pick a good insurance, someone you wouldn't mind going if things don't turn out how you want them to.

Do you want to be catered and get one of those Eat and Drinks card or self catered? That's the main difference between those two accommodations which dramatically affects the overall costs.
(edited 8 years ago)
Freshers Week, University of Bath
University of Bath
Bath
Reply 2
Original post by undine_monty
There is no general answer to whether Bath is open to accepting you with slightly lower grades because it depends on a lot of things. If you get slightly lower grades than the entry requirements, they could still let you on the course but it depends on whether the other pharmacology firmers got AAB and if there's still places available. They would probably also look at your overall application again with your PS and reference to decide if they'll let you regardless of you not achieving the grades.

I think if you wanna go there, then firm it. If you don't get the grades, who knows, you could still get in. There's still a chance of going to Bath if you firm but no chance if you don't. Just in case, pick a good insurance, someone you wouldn't mind going if things don't turn out how you want them to.

Do you want to be catered and get one of those Eat and Drinks card or self catered? That's the main difference between those two accommodations which dramatically affects the overall costs.

Thank you for your reply, I spoke to the university and they said much the same about them having no idea until the final results are in and that they may still accept those with lower offers if the rest have also lowered grades etc. However this rises a problem because say they hold the application on and are making their judgement and then i go through clearing on the day because i didn't make the place does that then mean i cannot take their offer if they still accept me with lower grades just a couple of weeks later? seems like a huge risk to miss out on clearing with the hopes of being accepted at a lower level?

And for accommodation i wouldn't mind a food card, more just a better balance of social and modern dorms. i've heard that Quads is good but usually less people and bit dull as a result, although with good, new facilities etc. But also that Marlborough is older but still big rooms and more people?
Reply 3

Also i'm thinking about by Insurance offer, its a toss-up between Kent (BBB) and Exeter (AAB-ABB) whilst Exeter may take me at ABB or below (as it has let lots in over the last year) it is still a risk yet the course is much better as well as accommodation, site, reputation etc. YET MORE ISSUES! Very confused
Original post by ljamest
Thank you for your reply, I spoke to the university and they said much the same about them having no idea until the final results are in and that they may still accept those with lower offers if the rest have also lowered grades etc. However this rises a problem because say they hold the application on and are making their judgement and then i go through clearing on the day because i didn't make the place does that then mean i cannot take their offer if they still accept me with lower grades just a couple of weeks later? seems like a huge risk to miss out on clearing with the hopes of being accepted at a lower level?

And for accommodation i wouldn't mind a food card, more just a better balance of social and modern dorms. i've heard that Quads is good but usually less people and bit dull as a result, although with good, new facilities etc. But also that Marlborough is older but still big rooms and more people?

A-Level results are released to universities the weekend before they are released to candidates. This means that by the time UCAS goes live the university will have already made their decision, taking into account any grades you might have missed and whether there are spaces to still take you etc. That means that you will receive a finalised decision on the morning of results day and can leap straight into clearing or whatever.
Reply 5
Original post by colourtheory
A-Level results are released to universities the weekend before they are released to candidates. This means that by the time UCAS goes live the university will have already made their decision, taking into account any grades you might have missed and whether there are spaces to still take you etc. That means that you will receive a finalised decision on the morning of results day and can leap straight into clearing or whatever.

Thank you! any help with the Insurance offer choice?
Original post by ljamest
Thank you! any help with the Insurance offer choice?

I'm confused about the original post. Why not firm Bath and then have an insurance place?

Also, if it's of any consolation, I achieved AABC at AS but finished A2 with A*A*A... Things are not as overwhelming as they might seem.
Reply 7
I'm confused about the original post. Why not firm Bath and then have an insurance place?

Also, if it's of any consolation, I achieved AABC at AS but finished A2 with A*A*A... Things are not as overwhelming as they might seem.

I think i am going to firm Bath, but the problem was around should I put something like Southampton who were offering ABB instead of AAB if i put them as firm choice (i liked the uni but preferred Bath way more) as it was safer than AAB which is sorta stretching it according to my UCAS adviser at college?

And the insurance choice is a matter of do i pick a higher insurance choice (Exeter AAB-ABB) as the university is better, more respected etc or do i go safer with something like Kent (BBB) as that is BELOW my predicted and is a nice net?
Original post by ljamest
I think i am going to firm Bath, but the problem was around should I put something like Southampton who were offering ABB instead of AAB if i put them as firm choice (i liked the uni but preferred Bath way more) as it was safer than AAB which is sorta stretching it according to my UCAS adviser at college?

And the insurance choice is a matter of do i pick a higher insurance choice (Exeter AAB-ABB) as the university is better, more respected etc or do i go safer with something like Kent (BBB) as that is BELOW my predicted and is a nice net?

I would put a higher university as my insurance. If it's more selective and you have a space then you should 'reserve' it. If you totally miss that and get BBB then go through clearing where there's plenty of choice.
Reply 9
I would put a higher university as my insurance. If it's more selective and you have a space then you should 'reserve' it. If you totally miss that and get BBB then go through clearing where there's plenty of choice.

That's what i was thinking, what do you mean by "reserve it"??

Exeter has been known to let people in with lower grades, i think someone i know got onto an AAA/AAB course with BBB so who knows?
Original post by ljamest
That's what i was thinking, what do you mean by "reserve it"??

Exeter has been known to let people in with lower grades, i think someone i know got onto an AAA/AAB course with BBB so who knows?

Put Exeter as your insurance, Bath as your firm, and then go through clearing if things don't work out.

The prospectus offer for my course at Exeter was A*AA, but they gave me an offer of AAA. They have been known to lower their requirements.
Reply 11
Put Exeter as your insurance, Bath as your firm, and then go through clearing if things don't work out.

The prospectus offer for my course at Exeter was A*AA, but they gave me an offer of AAA. They have been known to lower their requirements.

Ok i'll go for that, thanks again for you help :five:

Also potentially stupid question but do you apply for accommodation for your insurance choice???
Original post by ljamest

Original post by ljamest
Also i'm thinking about by Insurance offer, its a toss-up between Kent (BBB) and Exeter (AAB-ABB) whilst Exeter may take me at ABB or below (as it has let lots in over the last year) it is still a risk yet the course is much better as well as accommodation, site, reputation etc. YET MORE ISSUES! Very confused

I don't think I understood the question correctly but here's my answer.
The universities get your A-level results a few days before their officially released to students so they would spend that time deciding whether to accept you or not in time for results day. It seems unlikely that they would still be making a judgement on results day but if they still are, you can't go into clearing unless you email them and ask them to release you into clearing or you're later rejected by them and your insurance.

Actually flats in the Quads can have 8-10 people whereas Marlborough and Solsbury have 7 people in the flats. The Quads have a social space to hangout whereas M&S doesn't. And yeah, the Quads rooms are smaller than M&S rooms but you could argue that the smaller Quads rooms are compensated with the food and drinks cards, newer facilities and a social space.

So if you pick Exeter as your insurance, your firm and insurance will have the same entry requirements. Exeter let a lot of people in last year with ABB but you don't know for sure that they will do the same come results day in a few months but there is a chance they could. I think you should make it your insurance since you said the course and uni is better than Kent and I don't think you should choose a uni you don't like as your insurance.

Hope this all helped :h:
Reply 13
I don't think I understood the question correctly but here's my answer.
The universities get your A-level results a few days before their officially released to students so they would spend that time deciding whether to accept you or not in time for results day. It seems unlikely that they would still be making a judgement on results day but if they still are, you can't go into clearing unless you email them and ask them to release you into clearing or you're later rejected by them and your insurance.

Actually flats in the Quads can have 8-10 people whereas Marlborough and Solsbury have 7 people in the flats. The Quads have a social space to hangout whereas M&S doesn't. And yeah, the Quads rooms are smaller than M&S rooms but you could argue that the smaller Quads rooms are compensated with the food and drinks cards, newer facilities and a social space.

So if you pick Exeter as your insurance, your firm and insurance will have the same entry requirements. Exeter let a lot of people in last year with ABB but you don't know for sure that they will do the same come results day in a few months but there is a chance they could. I think you should make it your insurance since you said the course and uni is better than Kent and I don't think you should choose a uni you don't like as your insurance.

Hope this all helped :h:

Thanks so much for the help, i think i'll stick with Exeter as my insurance and go for it with Bath and if not then clearance for me :h:

I think i will choose marlborough as first for my accommodation just because Quads is quite expensive and some friends who are at Bath say Marlborough/Sals is one of the best? Although this food card thing seems good
Original post by ljamest

Also potentially stupid question but do you apply for accommodation for your insurance choice???

Yes!
Original post by ljamest

You apply for accommodation for your firm choice.

You can apply for your insurance if you're rejected by your firm choice on results day and accepted by your insurance.

Quick Reply

Latest