The Student Room Group

TSRians, what are your intended career paths?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by JavaScriptMaster
I'm going to New York!!!!!! ...... just without the "new" lol still in England but the dream is to one day land a Job in the Silicon Valley, California

Are you a US citizen or are the company sponsoring your H1B? If so, how did the process work for the latter? Also, what level of company are we talking? 1) large tech co (Google/FB/MSFT etc), 2) a well funded startup (Uber/DropBox etc), 3) a financial company (JaneStreet/Bloomberg etc) or 4) a smaller, less noticeable company?

SV has some serious money flowing but living costs are atrocious.

Posted from TSR Mobile
I want to go into Law, either as a solicitor or a barrister. Haven't decided which yet though.
Original post by Princepieman
Are you a US citizen or are the company sponsoring your H1B? If so, how did the process work for the latter? Also, what level of company are we talking? 1) large tech co (Google/FB/MSFT etc), 2) a well funded startup (Uber/DropBox etc), 3) a financial company (JaneStreet/Bloomberg etc) or 4) a smaller, less noticeable company?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Honestly I don't care what kind of industry... obviously the #1 dream is a job at Google but I'd be happy with any good company cuz I mean it's California! if you can live semi-comfortably there then it's gonna be really hard to be sad lol
Honestly I don't care what kind of industry... obviously the #1 dream is a job at Google but I'd be happy with any good company cuz I mean it's California! if you can live semi-comfortably there then it's gonna be really hard to be sad lol

I was more asking about the job that you landed in New York.. I wanted to know what type of company it was, whether you'd be going there on a visa (assuming you're based in the UK) or if you're a US citizen and how you landed the job.
Love to work in the computer hardware development industry, for people like ARM, Intel, NVidia, ATI... not sure where I want to go afterwards, if anywhere, but that's the first goal :yep:

(ayy post number 69)
Something that requires a Computer Science degree.

Posted from TSR Mobile
I was more asking about the job that you landed in New York.. I wanted to know what type of company it was, whether you'd be going there on a visa (assuming you're based in the UK) or if you're a US citizen and how you landed the job.
He's not going to New York, but York.
Original post by orphan_black
He's not going to New York, but York.

LOOOOL, I should probably stop staying up so late. My bad
Original post by hezzlington
Looking to join the military.

Wow nice, what kind of work do you want to do and why?

LOOOOL not New York... just York, it would be near impossible for a new grad like me to land a job in the big apple without some sort of inside-connection. As for Visa, well I'm a dual citizen with one of those being in the USA as I lived there for 7 years from 2002-2009 so I wouldn't have to worry about that but if you wanted to start working there you can apply for a H1-visa which basically lets you stay and live there for quite a few years so long as your working and not getting involved in any crime, after 5 years you can apply for citizenship if you wish. My plan to get (back) in the states is to just get some work experience at least and hopefully find a recruiter in the US that finds my skills desirable :h:
Original post by TheBBQ
Actuary or something financial where i can use maths.. That also pays well :biggrin:

That's finance, I guess. A quant?
Yeah, but as of now, I don't really want to go down the data scientist path. Although, studying maths/cs might change my mind.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yet you firmed a data science course offer?
Engineer- either civil or aerospace :smile:
Touche! I'm about to finish my Software Engineering course and I've just been offered a job to be a.... you guessed it: Software Engineer

What was the application process like?

Posted from TSR Mobile

The SV tragedy. :/
Original post by Juichiro
Yet you firmed a data science course offer?

Indeed, because I want to study Maths, Computer Science and Stats at uni. Does that mean that I then have to apply for data scientist positions? No.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 76
A writer/mediator/activist, and part-time pole athlete.

...or a political risk analyst if I punk out.
Stripper called Tandoori Fury :colone:

Spoiler

Reply 78
Original post by fire_and_ice
Barrister. If not that specifically, someone with a voice and position loud enough to bring change.

Right on :smile:
Reply 79
Academia, teaching, or stripper. Depends, really.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending