The Student Room Group
Freshers Week, University of Bath
University of Bath
Bath

societies

What are the societies like? I know this sounds spoilt but on the bath website I had a look through and they had 85, and they didn't look that great. On the other hand, other unis say they have '100s'. Is this a marketing trick? Are they actually good?
Freshers Week, University of Bath
University of Bath
Bath
We are currently in the process of launching the Bath Quidditch Club!! We are not listed on the university society page as we are not directly affiliated with the university, but rather a city wide team!
We should be around at the freshers fairs but if not, look out for posters and flyers!
We have a facebook page called Bath Quidditch Club, so please find us on there for more information and message us if you are interested in joining our team (The Bathilisks)

Quidditch is a fab sport to play; it is extremely enjoyable, and the community is so supportive!
Please again message us on the Facebook page if you have any questions about how its played!

At the moment, the exec is made up of 2 ex-oxford Quidditch players, an ex reading player, and an ex keele player, so we have plenty of experience in our group, and hopefully this will mean that the Bathilisks will get off to a great start in September!
Original post by albyedw
What are the societies like? I know this sounds spoilt but on the bath website I had a look through and they had 85, and they didn't look that great. On the other hand, other unis say they have '100s'. Is this a marketing trick? Are they actually good?

Hi,

I'm a current second year student here at Bath, and from my personal experience societies at Bath are really well organised and a great thing to get involved in!

Although we may not have as many societies as some other universities, there is a wide variety including recreational societies, faith and cultural societies, departmental societies, ethical and political societies, the arts and media societies. Joining a society is a great way to meet new people who you share similar interests with; and something that I would definitely recommend doing! Not only is joining a society a fantastic opportunity to expand upon your interests, it is also a great opportunity to try something different or something that you have not done before! Alternatively, if you can't find a society that fits with a specific interest of yours, it is possible to create a new society, providing you can find 30 people to join!

If you have any other questions please feel free to quote me!

Beth
There should be a "Dank Meme Society". If there is not start it.
Original post by albyedw

Hi there!

I'm a first year Computer Science student at Bath.

As my colleague has pointed out, whilst Bath probably has less societies than some other universities, the variety is great. In your first week here, there is a society fair, as well as a sign up day during freshers week for sports and societies.

I personally joined debating, the Computer Science society, Curry Appreciation and French Society. The language societies are a great way to meet people in particular and start learning more about a country's culture. I'm not French and I haven't done it since GCSE days but I enjoy going to the socials.

The important thing to remember is that you only need 30 signatures to start a society at Bath under the SU. My good friend started the Bath University Philosophy Society this year, which will be given SU funding for the first time as of September 2016.

Hope this helps!

Chris
Original post by EdwardBarfield9
There should be a "Dank Meme Society". If there is not start it.

30 signatures and you can be the founder!

Chris

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending