The Student Room Group

Could loose my job due to social media. Your opinions?

So i was silly an had my job occupation in my "about me" details on Facebook. Theres a comedy page on Facebook called "The Lad Bible" and they posted a page about haunted houses. The feed was full of jokes so i decided to add to it by commenting a joke saying "I would stay their all day and masturbate as i like an audience" mostly everyone found it funny and i got top comment.
Thats when someone decided to ring up my place of work and complain saying I offended them.
This was unintentional and as i thought it was in my home time and nothing related or mentioning my workplace that i was doing anything wrong.
Now i understand how my stupid joke could have cost me my job.
All i need is some opinions?
What do you think I should do now? I have a meeting about it tomorrow and thats when i find out if i am being dismissed or not :frown:

Scroll to see replies

Tell them it was a funny joke and that anyone can be offended by anything if they choose to, and SHOW them the comment - ask is it unreasonable if thousands like it vs 1 person who doesn't. If they still disagree, then leave - it's not worth working at a place that will restrict the way you express yourself. God damn it, you're a human being with your own opinions and sense of humour. Don't let them beat you down into a boring drone.
(edited 8 years ago)
Wow... Well I guess other can learn from this then, tell us what happens tomorrow hopefully they just warn you

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by martinnmartin
Wow... Well I guess other can learn from this then, tell us what happens tomorrow hopefully they just warn you

Posted from TSR Mobile

:smile: yeah I hope I just get a warning. I have deleted Facebook as it is not worth it. i would never do anything like this again
Presumably yoube taken it down and rea the company handbook on what they do and dont allow you to do on social media - do the contrition route an say your sorry it wont happen again. its up to them really.
highly doubt this is real but ridiculous that work should be able to regulate your personal life like that
Original post by theperformer
Tell them it was a funny joke and that anyone can be offended by anything if they choose to, and SHOW them the comment - ask is it unreasonable if thousands like it vs 1 person who doesn't. If they still disagree, then leave - it's not worth working at a place that will restrict the way you express yourself. God damn it, you're a human being with your own opinions and sense of humour. Don't let them beat you down into a boring drone.

Your words have actually helped. I think their should be more bold guidelines with social media and work as I had no idea at the time that I did anything wrong. I have been posting these sort of jokes on group discussions all the time when other establishments I had worked for have been in my bio and have never had a problem.
I have deleted Facebook and encourage others not to put their job roles on Facebook. I guess there is no such thing as freedom of speech anymore. I won't be leaving without a fight
Original post by Tabstercat
highly doubt this is real but ridiculous that work should be able to regulate your personal life like that

I am afraid it is :frown:. I just want to make people aware that companies can fire you for anything. I never intended to offend anyone with what I thought was harmless humour.
It could have pretty much cost me the best job I ever had
Original post by 999tigger
Presumably yoube taken it down and rea the company handbook on what they do and dont allow you to do on social media - do the contrition route an say your sorry it wont happen again. its up to them really.

Yeah :smile: I was never given a handbook about their social media rules until now. I have done my research and found out that even if the comment is not in anyway directly offending someone it can still be a dismissible reason.
Original post by Gingerproblems
I am afraid it is :frown:. I just want to make people aware that companies can fire you for anything. I never intended to offend anyone with what I thought was harmless humour.
It could have pretty much cost me the best job I ever had

Its your naivety with understanding linking them to your work.

anything you post on social media especially facebook you should assume they are looking. people do get fired over these things hence looking at their staff policies. make sure your attitude is right and you dont fight whatever it is they say, just do the sorry honest mistake but learned lesson thing.
Could lose your job over spelling.
if I were the boss of your place of work, I'd tell whoever phoned my company up on account of what my workers put on their social media to "piss off" and to stop being so nosey and snoopy - it's ****ing creepy and it reflects far worse on them than the workers themselves
As someone complained they will need to investigate it. I don't post on social media and I keep my profile private and only add a few trusted colleagues that's it. Think you will get a warning.
Original post by chikane
As someone complained they will need to investigate it. I don't post on social media and I keep my profile private and only add a few trusted colleagues that's it. Think you will get a warning.

lets hope you are right :smile:
I will let you know
Original post by AlmightyJesus
if I were the boss of your place of work, I'd tell whoever phoned my company up on account of what my workers put on their social media to "piss off" and to stop being so nosey and snoopy - it's ****ing creepy and it reflects far worse on them than the workers themselves

Aha I wish you were my boss.
I did not mean to cause offence. I will keep everyone updated. Lets hope they will forgive me
Reply 15
Lock down your Facebook privacy settings. Go into the privacy section, make sure no one but friends of friends (at the very least; preferably friends only for everything) can see a thing, look you up, view your profile, etc.

Apologise for it, take responsibility, admit that it was very stupid, and explain all you've done and will do to make sure that something like this never happens again.

Comparisons can be drawn with someone I heard of who lost hundreds of thousands for their company through a programming slip-up. Their boss didn't fire them, because they'd now paid hundreds of thousands for their training, knowing they'd never make an error like that again.
Things like this are the reason I don't really bother with social media. I know forums technically are but don't really count as they're anonymous for the most part.
Original post by Tabstercat

This sort of thing happens all the time. Loads of people from my old job got sacked for various issues relating to social media. If your public profile states where you work then you have to act as if you're representing the company's image with everything you post online.

Thats when someone decided to ring up my place of work and complain saying I offended them.

What an actual ****... wow. It must've been a tumblr user.

OP i feel bad for you. The joke was funny too
(edited 8 years ago)
lets hope you are right :smile:
I will let you know

Is it a disciplinary meeting? If it's just a meeting with the manager I will be very surprised if he sacks you think you will get a slap on the wrist and told to be careful.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending