The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

So, C1 solomon paper E (didn't do A) down. 74/75, not bad.

June 2010 C2 now! No break I don't think for me in this block
Original post by benj1999
I woke up at 6 to revise.. And ive only done 3 and a half hours of revision:frown: is this bad?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Better than me m8
Did you get distracted or something?
Anyway quality> quantity, were those 3.5 hours of revision intense?
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by iMacJack
Joining today at 3. Going to do a C1 hard solomon paper.

Today in the blocks I plan to do:
D1 revision - one block dedicated to watching videos surrounding D1
C2 paper
S2 paper
FP1 practice paper A

how are you so far ahead i im just starting with c1 now Revision :frown: and im doing fp1 and c2 :frown: im so behind i have been revising geog and econ and history whyyyyy Help :frown: my maths mock grade is so bad im stressing
Reply 2423
:work: 5:00pm. :work:
~Logging out time!~

I had a change of plan and did some Statistics questions instead. Going to continue with that in this block.
Going to do another chem 1 paper now and another mechanics paper in the next block.

I was close to an A but made a lot of silly mistakes.
Having a 15 min break. Done 10 pages worth of b1. Still not done Yet!

Goal for today:
Fin B1 (A)
FIn P1 (A)
Rev over C1
Fin character sheets (MRS BIRLING, SHEILA, ERIC + MR BIRLING)
Start socio notes.
+ Eng Lang past paper (if i have spare time)
Original post by shohaib712
Having a 15 min break. Done 10 pages worth of b1. Still not done Yet!

Goal for today:
Fin B1 (A)
FIn P1 (A)
Rev over C1
Fin character sheets (MRS BIRLING, SHEILA, ERIC + MR BIRLING)
Start socio notes.
+ Eng Lang past paper (if i have spare time)

If you've any physics/maths questions feel free to PM me! :smile:
Original post by Anon_98

Nice thread, admirable idea - good on you!
Reply 2428
Original post by Zacken
Nice thread, admirable idea - good on you!

:jumphug: <33
Bam, today so far:

June 2010 C2 (75/75 :biggrin:)
Solomon E C1 (74/75)
D1 - Youtube Video on Linear Programming (40 minutes long roughly)

& Now for FP1 Practice Paper A & then later on an older S2 paper!
Reply 2430
Bam, today so far:

Solomon E C1 (74/75)

You're doing amazing, well done! :biggrin:
Reply 2431
I'm feeling too ill + stuff to concentrate so I'm going to bed. :redface: :cry: Will be back at 9pm/something. :dance: <3
If you've any physics/maths questions feel free to PM me! :smile:

Thanks man!
A quick question on P1:

In convection of liquids,
Does the hot liquid displace the cooler liquid to make a complete convection current?
or
Does the hot liquid cool (and becuase its cooling, it gets more dense) so it sinks - and that makes a complete convecton current?

(confused on this topic)
Original post by Anon_98
You're doing amazing, well done! :biggrin:

Aw thanks mate! You too!!

Original post by Anon_98
I'm feeling too ill + stuff to concentrate so I'm going to bed. :redface: :cry: Will be back at 9pm/something. :dance: <3

:frown: Get resting and come back stronger for the 9 PM block! I expect to see you here!

Thanks man!
A quick question on P1:

In convection of liquids,
Does the hot liquid displace the cooler liquid to make a complete convection current?
or
Does the hot liquid cool (and becuase its cooling, it gets more dense) so it sinks - and that makes a complete convecton current?

(confused on this topic)

From what I remember of P1, it is the second one, because convection currents are formed due to the movement of heated particles, so the heated liquid rises and cools down, and because it's more dense it then gets forced back down, this is then a continuous loop (a convection current is formed). Sorry it's been a while since P1 - maybe @Zacken could clarify this (the genius himself!)

However there is a BBC bitesize link which I have found which seems to explain it quite nicely, however you're never able to beat Zacken's explanations! :P

http://www.bbc.co.uk/schools/gcsebitesize/science/aqa/heatingandcooling/heatingrev4.shtml
Original post by Anon_98

Oh dear, I hope you feel better soon. :frown: :frown: <3 <3

Get some proper rest. :colonhash:

I'm not great at Physics, my maths is much stronger, but I'll give this a go:

Okay, so first step in my mind when I'm thinking about this is to imagine a cup or mug of water, draw it down if you want - but imagining it in your head is what I do. It's filled with water at a uniform temperate, i.e: every particle is the same temperature. This also means that they are at the same density.

Now place a bunsen burner under this cup/mug and the water at the bottom will heat up. You know that the density of the hot water will then decrease, but why? Well - you know that ρ=mV\rho = \frac{m}{V}, i.e: density = mass/volume. But the hot water undergoes a process called thermal expansion. The hot water forces the water molecules to vibrate more intensely and hence increase their distance from one another, they expand. This means their volume increases, but as volume gets bigger 1V\frac{1}{V} gets smaller (because you're dividing by a bigger number). So mV\frac{m}{V} gets smaller as volume gets bigger. But wait, mV=ρ\frac{m}{V} = \rho and that's density, so we've just said/shown that density gets smaller as volume gets bigger (for a fixed mass).

To summarise: hot water -> expands water -> volume increases -> density decreases. That's that bit of the explanation done with.

Now it's fairly intuitive that the less dense (hot) water will rise above the denser (cold) water. So they essentially swap places, now the hot water is at the top of the mug and is being cooled by the process of evaporation, you have winds blowing on the top and taking away the more energetic molecules, and it's basically getting colder at the top. At the same time, the cold water at the bottom is not being heated by the bunsen burner and is becoming hot. Eventually the densities swap position again and the 'hot' (now cold) water falls back to the bottom and the 'cold' (now hot) water rises to the top and this forms a continuous convection current.
(edited 8 years ago)
I got 90 % on the chem paper, but the mistakes I made were mainly due to not expanding on my answers enough.

I'm going to do a mechanics paper now.
Original post by Zacken

Great explanation once more! +100000 rep :biggrin:
Bam, today so far:

Solomon E C1 (74/75)

Hey is the FP1 Practice Paper A for edexcel? I couldnt find it on physicsandmathstutor could you send me a link?

Thanks!
Original post by GarlicBread01
Hey is the FP1 Practice Paper A for edexcel? I couldnt find it on physicsandmathstutor could you send me a link?

Thanks!

There is a thread on TSR containing them all, I just googled 'FP1 practice paper edexcel' and they should come up on a thread

On topic though - finishing up the practice paper A then might have a rest.. knackered.

Latest

Trending

Trending