The Student Room Group

A-Level Biology AS/A2 exams - Recommend good flashcards?

Hello

I'm taking all my Edexcel A-Level Biology exams together (over May/June). Long story short: I found out in January I needed 2 A-Levels to apply to some universities, so I registered as a private candidate, reduced my work hours by about half and have been studying non-stop.

Biology seems to me to be mainly a memory test(!), and I'm part-way into the second (A2) book. The information is easy to understand, but there is a lot of it. Can anyone recommend a good place to find flash cards?

Or if not, just a good method to make them for myself? I have downloaded a few (Anki seems to be the best) flashcard programs for my laptop. But I don't have the flashcards.

I plan to finish studying both books before the end of the month. First exam is 9 May. My plan is to do lots of past papers at home (timed and strict), but before and in-between read notes and practice with flash cards - both specifically for whatever exam I will have coming up next. Any help in finding good resources for this, or suggestions, would be greatly appreciated!

Many thanks in advance

Scroll to see replies

Original post by the81kid
Hello

I'm taking all my Edexcel A-Level Biology exams together (over May/June). Long story short: I found out in January I needed 2 A-Levels to apply to some universities, so I registered as a private candidate, reduced my work hours by about half and have been studying non-stop.

Biology seems to me to be mainly a memory test(!), and I'm part-way into the second (A2) book. The information is easy to understand, but there is a lot of it. Can anyone recommend a good place to find flash cards?

Or if not, just a good method to make them for myself? I have downloaded a few (Anki seems to be the best) flashcard programs for my laptop. But I don't have the flashcards.

I plan to finish studying both books before the end of the month. First exam is 9 May. My plan is to do lots of past papers at home (timed and strict), but before and in-between read notes and practice with flash cards - both specifically for whatever exam I will have coming up next. Any help in finding good resources for this, or suggestions, would be greatly appreciated!

Many thanks in advance

Have a search on quizlet, you can find other users cards on there and copy them over to your own sets
Reply 2
Original post by claireestelle
Have a search on quizlet, you can find other users cards on there and copy them over to your own sets

Thanks for the reply. I'm taking a look, there seem to be a lot. I'll check what they cover.
Hello

Many thanks in advance

No problem - flashcrads are really useful ways of remembering key facts and definitions. TSR has over 4000 sets of A-level Biology flashcards here. You can even combine different sets and individual cards.

There's also a tool for making your own flashcards.

Let me know how it goes - good luck with the revision. :smile:
Hello

Many thanks in advance

Good luck!! I'm also sitting Biology in May/June as an external candidate (but just AS). Don't forget to learn about the core practicals as they can also turn up in the exams!! I'm assuming you're like me and haven't actually done any of the practicals in a lab?
Reply 5
Original post by Philip-flop
Good luck!! I'm also sitting Biology in May/June as an external candidate (but just AS). Don't forget to learn about the core practicals as they can also turn up in the exams!! I'm assuming you're like me and haven't actually done any of the practicals in a lab?

Hello

No, I haven't done any. But I assume you're talking about the practical tests/experiments that are mentioned in the revision book? (I'm using the CGP book.) For example: testing the permeability of cell membranes using beetroot cells.

Can you link me to any good material for these core practicals?

Thanks a lot in advance!
Reply 6
Original post by The Learn Ranger
No problem - flashcrads are really useful ways of remembering key facts and definitions. TSR has over 4000 sets of A-level Biology flashcards here. You can even combine different sets and individual cards.

There's also a tool for making your own flashcards.

Let me know how it goes - good luck with the revision. :smile:

Ah! : )
Thanks a lot. This looks like what I've been looking for. I didn't know this resource existed. Later today I'll take a good look at what there is.
Many many thanks!
Reply 7

PS. By the way, good luck too with your exams! Let me know how they go. I'll be curious, since I'm not actually in any class, and I don't have anyone to compare to.
Hello

No, I haven't done any. But I assume you're talking about the practical tests/experiments that are mentioned in the revision book? (I'm using the CGP book.) For example: testing the permeability of cell membranes using beetroot cells.

Can you link me to any good material for these core practicals?

Thanks a lot in advance!

Omg are the practicals in the CGP books? I'm probably asking for a bit much but is there any chance you could scan those pages with the AS core practicals over to me? (I'm assuming you're doing Edexcel?).

Yeah sure, I have some links to videos of the core practicals that I'll send you after work!! :smile:

PS. By the way, good luck too with your exams! Let me know how they go. I'll be curious, since I'm not actually in any class, and I don't have anyone to compare to.

Yeah please keep in contact with me in the build up to and after exams :smile:
Hey, good luck, I have also studied A2 biology by myself and it's like a memory test, there Is so much content to force into my head lol and I am doing it this June. Good luck and tell us how does it go in the end

P.s: I have just finished studying it a couple of days ago but I have discovered I still have to revise it along with As bio :frown:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 10
Omg are the practicals in the CGP books? I'm probably asking for a bit much but is there any chance you could scan those pages with the AS core practicals over to me? (I'm assuming you're doing Edexcel?).

Yeah sure, I have some links to videos of the core practicals that I'll send you after work!! :smile:

It seems at least some of them are. Is there a syllabus or list somewhere of which ones I need to know? They have had at least several examples so far. But I'd really like to know if there are more, and if they are standard ones that I need to learn.

I'll have access to a scanner next week and I can send them. But I might try my phone camera later. It's not an iphone so I'm not sure of the quality.

And yes, many thanks in advance for the video links!
Reply 11
Original post by PlayerBB
Hey, good luck, I have also studied A2 biology by myself and it's like a memory test, there Is so much content to force into my head lol and I am doing it this June. Good luck and tell us how does it go in the end

P.s: I have just finished studying it a couple of days ago but I have discovered I still have to revise it along with As bio :frown:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Unfortunately I haven't finished studying yet : / I'm only about halfway through. Just starting the A2 stuff. But yes it does seem to just be a memory test! I'm planning to finish A2 in a few weeks, and give myself at least a few weeks for more revision and lots of practice exams. What's your revision/study method?
Unfortunately I haven't finished studying yet : / I'm only about halfway through. Just starting the A2 stuff. But yes it does seem to just be a memory test! I'm planning to finish A2 in a few weeks, and give myself at least a few weeks for more revision and lots of practice exams. What's your revision/study method?

It seems like a good plan, and don't worry if you still haven't finished it, because the content it contains is huge, but yeah try to finish it in a few weeks at least before the end of April so you can give yourself to revise and solve past paper questions.

My study method was basically learning the content, watching youtube videos if i don;t quite understand the concept or ask questions here and there. I have also learned with the syllabus infront of me so I can know what should I focus on.
Then I have written notes for like each ten pages or so

My revision method I guess will be revising my notes and other people notes. I don't use flashcards, for me, they're not much of a benefit but for others like you, if you think it benefits you then you should definitely go for it!
Reply 13
It seems like a good plan, and don't worry if you still haven't finished it, because the content it contains is huge, but yeah try to finish it in a few weeks at least before the end of April so you can give yourself to revise and solve past paper questions.

My study method was basically learning the content, watching youtube videos if i don;t quite understand the concept or ask questions here and there. I have also learned with the syllabus infront of me so I can know what should I focus on.
Then I have written notes for like each ten pages or so

My revision method I guess will be revising my notes and other people notes. I don't use flashcards, for me, they're not much of a benefit but for others like you, if you think it benefits you then you should definitely go for it!

Do you mind if I ask which books you're using to learn the content from? Can I ask also where you found the syllabus?

I've been using the CGP revision books for AS/A2 Level Biology. I also have both the Hodder AS/A2 Level regular coursebooks (they're endorsed by Edexcel and recommended), but I have barely used them so far. I wanted to just get the information I need to pass the exam. I haven't found much that I don't understand yet, except for a little chemistry at the beginning. It's mainly just lists of information, cause and effect, this does this, that does that etc.
(edited 8 years ago)
Do you mind if I ask which books you're using to learn the content from? Can I ask also where you found the syllabus?

I've been using the CGP revision books for AS/A2 Level Biology. I also have both the Hodder AS/A2 Level regular coursebooks (they're endorsed by Edexcel and recommended), but I have barely used them so far. I wanted to just get the information I need to pass the exam. I haven't found much that I don't understand yet, except for a little chemistry at the beginning. It's mainly just lists of information, cause and effect, this does this, that does that etc.

I am using the Ann Fullick green book and the SNAB revision guide, both these books are also endorsed by Edexcel. I think the books you are using are good, I used the Hodder one for As.

Yeah Exactly!! But I am struggling on topic 5, about the ecosystem and these stuff, they just seem to make no sense at all
Reply 15

Hi, my camera phone isn't going to do much good. So I'll scan the pages properly next week and put a link here or send them in a private message. However, I'm not sure if there is much more detail than these pages I've found. These are summaries I've found for AS/A2 core practicals:

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/attachment.php?attachmentid=514015&d=1458392118

http://moodle.suttongrammar.sutton.sch.uk/pluginfile.php/5256/mod_resource/content/0/A2%20Biology%20Core%20Practicals%20REVISION.pdf

Do you know if this is a complete list? I suppose it is, but I don't know where I can make sure.
Reply 16
I am using the Ann Fullick green book and the SNAB revision guide, both these books are also endorsed by Edexcel. I think the books you are using are good, I used the Hodder one for As.

Yeah Exactly!! But I am struggling on topic 5, about the ecosystem and these stuff, they just seem to make no sense at all

I'll be starting the ecosystem part this weekend I hope. Some things I've never done before, other things I already know a little about. I'm hoping to study "Sustainable Resource Management" and I've already been reading about the environment for years. That helps a little(!). Much more technical and basic here though in the A-level.

I'm sure these links are in a thread somewhere, but I'll just post them here in case you haven't found them yet. First one is the International A-Level Biology, the 2nd is the regular Biology A-level, the 3rd is the new Biology A-level:

http://qualifications.pearson.com/en/qualifications/edexcel-international-advanced-levels/biology.coursematerials.html#filterQuery=category:Pearson-UK:Category%2FSpecification-and-sample-assessments

http://qualifications.pearson.com/en/qualifications/edexcel-a-levels/biology-2008.coursematerials.html#filterQuery=category:Pearson-UK:Category%2FSpecification-and-sample-assessments

http://qualifications.pearson.com/en/qualifications/edexcel-a-levels/biology-b-2015.html

I'm not actually living in the UK at the moment so I'm taking the international one (found a school here that offers them). There seem to be all the past papers, and examiner's notes on all of them.

Do you know if these are all the past papers and all the examiners' notes available? Perhaps I'm missing another resource.

EDIT: A lot or most of the most recent papers are locked. Do you know if I can access them anywhere else?
(edited 8 years ago)
Hi, my camera phone isn't going to do much good. So I'll scan the pages properly next week and put a link here or send them in a private message. However, I'm not sure if there is much more detail than these pages I've found. These are summaries I've found for AS/A2 core practicals:

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/attachment.php?attachmentid=514015&d=1458392118

http://moodle.suttongrammar.sutton.sch.uk/pluginfile.php/5256/mod_resource/content/0/A2%20Biology%20Core%20Practicals%20REVISION.pdf

Do you know if this is a complete list? I suppose it is, but I don't know where I can make sure.

Hey thanks for that! That looks very useful!! Having a look through the AS practicals it looks like it's all there but I haven't covered A2 yet so I don't know anything about the practicals.

Here's some videos I've come across for AS Biology though...

Investigate the effect of caffeine on the heart rate in daphnia.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OZiOOIBWGRsInvestigate the vitamin Ccontent of food and drink.https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oI33svVr82U
Investigate membranestructure, including the effect of alcohol concentration or temperature onmembrane permeability.https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cx7Ov_qM7kM
Investigate the effect of enzyme and substrate concentrations on theinitial rates of reactions.https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rABpkD42Ap4How old are you btw? I'm assuming you're fairly mature like myself?
Reply 18
Hey thanks for that! That looks very useful!! Having a look through the AS practicals it looks like it's all there but I haven't covered A2 yet so I don't know anything about the practicals.

Here's some videos I've come across for AS Biology though...

Investigate the effect of caffeine on the heart rate in daphnia.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OZiOOIBWGRsInvestigate the vitamin Ccontent of food and drink.https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oI33svVr82U
Investigate membranestructure, including the effect of alcohol concentration or temperature onmembrane permeability.https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cx7Ov_qM7kM
Investigate the effect of enzyme and substrate concentrations on theinitial rates of reactions.https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rABpkD42Ap4How old are you btw? I'm assuming you're fairly mature like myself?

I suppose so. I'm 34. I'm starting to feel the panic though. 30 days until the first exam, and I'm also studying for the Math A-level, plus finishing my last master's project (anthropology). A lot to do this month! This afternoon I'm going to look around the forums for past papers, notes and presentations and anything else useful for when I finish the 2nd book. I think for me flashcards are going to be a must, somehow I need to internalize all this information to be able to repeat in the exam.

Thanks for the videos links btw!
I suppose so. I'm 34. I'm starting to feel the panic though. 30 days until the first exam, and I'm also studying for the Math A-level, plus finishing my last master's project (anthropology). A lot to do this month! This afternoon I'm going to look around the forums for past papers, notes and presentations and anything else useful for when I finish the 2nd book. I think for me flashcards are going to be a must, somehow I need to internalize all this information to be able to repeat in the exam.

Thanks for the videos links btw!

Firstly, DO NOT PANIC! You'll only waste time otherwise. Just keep yourself busy and when you start doing past papers you should write little side notes on topics that you are repeatedly struggling with the most so you can focus on them!! You still have so much time to crack on with everything but make sure you actually do! Keep refreshing your memory up until the day of your exams even if it's an hour or two just going over your notes. But make sure you understand what you're reading that way it'll stick in your head better!!

Flashcards are a fantastic idea!! These will actually test your memory/knowledge of the subject but make sure you don't waste too much time making them!! Biology is a memory game but it's also about 60% exam technique so make sure you practice at least 2 past papers before your exams.

And for A-level Maths, you literally have to chuck yourself in the deep end and learn from doing past paper questions, and if there is a topic you're not too confident about then look it up in a textbook. But just expose yourself to as many questions as possible!! I'm only doing AS-level Maths though so this technique might not work if you're also doing A2!!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending