The Student Room Group

This discussion is now closed.

Check out other Related discussions

We DO NOT NEED to eat MEAT

Scroll to see replies

More vegetarians = Lower meat prices.

We should direct people like OP to the developing world. As they develop there'll be more demand and prices will soar. Whereas if we encourage the developing world to live on lentils and tofu and whatever, we'll still be able to stuff our faces with bacon, steaks and whatnot at reasonable prices.

From a vegetarian point of view it's better for them to piss off too! Developing countries don't have the animal welfare laws that we have. So instead of them convincing a person to not eat ethically produced meat, they could convince someone not to eat non ethically produced meat. Hell, with the higher standard of education we have in the developed word their well honed arguing skills could probably convince 5 or 6 people in the developing world not to eat un-ethically produced meat with the same effort it'd take to convince just 1 person here!. So with the effort it'd take to save some animals from being eaten with little to no pain here they could save 5 times as many animals from being eaten with more pain in the developing world

Problem solved. :smile:
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by BeastOfSyracuse
I don't think that's true. There's generally enough food produced on earth for everyone to eat their fill, the problem is more related to the economic systems and the distribution of food. They are structural economic issues, not production-related.

For example, there is absolutely enough food produced in East Asia (and even enough just on the Korean peninsula) that the North Koreans needn't have suffered the terrible famine of the 1990s (the Arduous March, as they call it). The problem was structural and economic; the failings of their communist government not because too many people eat meat.

Whatever the source of the problem, producing more, cheaper food can only allow more people to eat. That there is already enough food produced to feed everyone is irrelevant in my eyes; if people are still starving, we are clearly not producing enough food.
Original post by anosmianAcrimony
Whatever the source of the problem, producing more, cheaper food can only allow more people to eat. That there is already enough food produced to feed everyone is irrelevant in my eyes; if people are still starving, we are clearly not producing enough food.

Except that if we are producing enough food now and structural economic reasons prevent those who need it most from getting it, there's no guarantee our ceasing to eat meat will produce the desired result rather than ending up in the same situation
Except that if we are producing enough food now and structural economic reasons prevent those who need it most from getting it, there's no guarantee our ceasing to eat meat will produce the desired result rather than ending up in the same situation

Stopping eating meat may even ease those economic conditions. Some countries, for example, use too much of their land for meat production which they then export to affluent nations, which they find more profitable than farming vegetables to feed their own populace. Reducing meat demand will reduce that trend.
You say it's immoral to eat meat.

Is it immoral for the lion to eat the gazelle? That is their natural food. Just as for human creatures meat is part of a balanced diet.

You forget that humans, while substantively superior to the animal kingdom in intelligence and technological accomplishment, are still a part of it and we should still have rights to live according to our ancient (evolutionary) culinary customs.

What happens in the natural world doesn't give us the right to do anything. It isn't our job to ensure that evolution runs the "correct" course or that natural food chains live on in human society - and in any case the modern meat industry is so hopelessly unnatural that it doesn't bear comparison to what would happen in the wild.

Lions hunt gazelles because lions' digestive systems can only handle meat, and they don't have the moral discernment to gauge the consequences of their actions. We have digestive tracts such that we can demonstrably live on vegetable matter alone, and enough moral intelligence to know the consequences of meat-eating. We have a duty to use those gifts.

Of course I believe we should do everything possible to be kind to the animals, never to make them suffer. They should have a good life while they live on our farms, and be treated with respect. And when the technology for vat-grown meat advances to the point where a succulent and tasty fillet steak can be grown in a lab and that it is indistinguishable in quality from the real thing, of course I would favour doing that rather than producing it from living beings.

Which raises the question; why have vegos I've spoken to said they oppose vat grown meat? It is completely illogical and suggests their vegetarianism comes from something deeper and more psychologically-based than simple concern for the animals. I suspect many of them harbour a deep disdain for human beings and are disgusted by us enjoying consumption of flesh. Opposition to consumption of meat is just one manifestation of their hatred for human civilisation and their viewing us as an infestation on the planet. They have malthusian, misanthropic views and they'd really rather we weren't here at all

I resent your generalisation of vegetarians in your last paragraph. I myself am a vegetarian who would have no problem eating a lab-grown steak, as long as it's healthy and sustainable. So far as I can tell, I don't harbour any deep-seated loathing of humanity in general - and if I did, I doubt I would care so much about weaning human society off meat before it's too late.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by anosmianAcrimony
Stopping eating meat may even ease those economic conditions. Some countries, for example, use too much of their land for meat production which they then export to affluent nations, which they find more profitable than farming vegetables to feed their own populace. Reducing meat demand will reduce that trend.

In the UK we primarily get our meat either from within the UK or the European Union, or imported from major producer countries like Australia and New Zealand. Ceasing the import of Australian beef will not have any effect on the likelihood of famine in North Korea or Ethiopia.

In fact, the last major famine (the 2011 East Africa famine, mostly Somalia) affected vegetable/wheat farmers much more than pastoralists who raise animals. Often animals can be raised quite efficiently (pigs particularly as they can be fed on scraps, and goats who can be allowed to graze on random grass)

In ancient China they raised pigs precisely for that reason, and that was a time and a place where they would not have done so if it was energy inefficient.
Speak for yourself :colone:
Original post by A$aprocky

3) A campaign of persuasion will never work. I mean never. As a vegetarian, you cannot understand how difficult it is to give up meat. Its not like 'oh we can survive without meat and its better for the world' because it isnt. You can ask any of your friends or something but i wouldnt event consider not eating meat. And i am actually a Hindu!

What's this nonsense? Half of the vegetarians I know used to eat meat and were later convinced otherwise. Myself included, though I'm not completely there yet.
You say it's immoral to eat meat.

Is it immoral for the lion to eat the gazelle? That is their natural food. Just as for human creatures meat is part of a balanced diet.

You forget that humans, while substantively superior to the animal kingdom in intelligence and technological accomplishment, are still a part of it and we should still have rights to live according to our ancient (evolutionary) culinary customs.

Of course I believe we should do everything possible to be kind to the animals, never to make them suffer. They should have a good life while they live on our farms, and be treated with respect. And when the technology for vat-grown meat advances to the point where a succulent and tasty fillet steak can be grown in a lab and that it is indistinguishable in quality from the real thing, of course I would favour doing that rather than producing it from living beings.

Which raises the question; why have vegos I've spoken to said they oppose vat grown meat? It is completely illogical and suggests their vegetarianism comes from something deeper and more psychologically-based than simple concern for the animals. I suspect many of them harbour a deep disdain for human beings and are disgusted by us enjoying consumption of flesh. Opposition to consumption of meat is just one manifestation of their hatred for human civilisation and their viewing us as an infestation on the planet. They have malthusian, misanthropic views and they'd really rather we weren't here at all

You want to copy that particular trait but no other? Then why are you wearing clothes, or using a computer and you dont sniff everyone's ass when you meet them surely?
I agree that we don't need to eat meat and I try telling people this but I end up getting abuse

Latest

Trending

Trending