The Student Room Group

Living in Central London

I'm just intrigued as to whether or not there are many people on normal incomes who live in PCL (prime central London) locations. By this I'm pretty much referring to areas within the congestion charge zone, as well as some areas just outside but still technically within central London.
Original post by liverpool786110
I'm just intrigued as to whether or not there are many people on normal incomes who live in PCL (prime central London) locations. By this I'm pretty much referring to areas within the congestion charge zone, as well as some areas just outside but still technically within central London.

I dont think you're gonna find anyone on here who lives in Zone 1, other than @queen-bee because she has a rich daddy or smth

There are quite a few people on here who live within the congestion charge zone
Reply 3
I live in zone 2, but my parents make quite a lot of money, and we live in a 40 SQM flat. I don't know a single person living in zone 1. Other people I know living in zone 2 are in council houses. People living on a 'normal income' tend to live way out.
Ahh ok so the general consensus I'm getting here is that zone 1 is near enough only inhabited by the super rich. So are you guys trying to allude to the fact that there are virtually no council tenants that still live in places like Victoria, London Bridge etc.?
Reply 5
Ahh ok so the general consensus I'm getting here is that zone 1 is near enough only inhabited by the super rich. So are you guys trying to allude to the fact that there are virtually no council tenants that still live in places like Victoria, London Bridge etc.?

I'm sure there must be but they are a very small number and probably decreasing. I remember seeing a council flat near King's Cross, just outside the congestion zone.
Original post by borbv
I'm sure there must be but they are a very small number and probably decreasing. I remember seeing a council flat near King's Cross, just outside the congestion zone.

Do you know how much the market value was for rent/purchase, and how much rent the council tenants were paying?

I work 5 min walk from ldn bridge. There are no council residences in the area.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 8

Council tenants are probably the only non-rich people left living in zone 1.

I lived in zone 2 for 5 years and we could have afforded somewhere like London Bridge (DINKYs on professional but non-City salaries) but got better value a bit further out.
Original post by Helenia
Council tenants are probably the only non-rich people left living in zone 1.

I lived in zone 2 for 5 years and we could have afforded somewhere like London Bridge (DINKYs on professional but non-City salaries) but got better value a bit further out.

Dinkys? What does that mean?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Death Grips
Dinkys? What does that mean?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Double income, no kids yet. Young couple, both earning decent amounts, with relatively few financial commitments (like kids) and not needing a huge amount of space - so higher spending power than some other setups.
The thing I don't understand is why aren't there more affordable homes being built in the centre of London?
The thing I don't understand is why aren't there more affordable homes being built in the centre of London?

Because there is nowhere to put them, and no money in it for the developers?
I used to have some friends in Zone 1, but they were renting, and now have moved out...it's so unaffordable for any people who aren't already born into wealth/foreign investors.
Original post by JenniMusic
I used to have some friends in Zone 1, but they were renting, and now have moved out...it's so unaffordable for any people who aren't already born into wealth/foreign investors.

Yeah thats the problem, foreign investors just buy up anything and everything they see, even those so called 'affordable' starter homes that literally no one on a normal income can afford.

How long do you think it will be until the property bubble begins to burst in London?

Quick Reply