The Student Room Group

Muslim doctor calls killing homosexuals "compassionate"

Scroll to see replies

Original post by KingBradly
You know, if in having a debate about Islam you feel you must divert it to a debate about what shape the earth is, it says a lot about how little confidence you have in your views.

He seemed quite upset that I pointed out the ludicrousness of modern Muslims believing in a flat earth. He started babbling about how I colloquially called the earth a sphere rather than oblate spheroid.

He seems genuinely quite attached to the flat earth idea and is personally offended that I ridiculed it. This is all pretty irrelevant but I did find this comment of his hilarious;

there are legitimate scientific arguments to be made for flat Earth
Original post by Virgili
X

The troll doesn't understand the word colloquial. But the troll doesn't understand science either. This comment of yours was hilarious;

there are legitimate scientific arguments to be made for flat Earth
Original post by BeastOfSyracuse
The troll doesn't understand the word colloquial. But the troll doesn't understand science either. This comment of yours was hilarious;

It means informal, I don't believe in flat earth and you are the one who doesn't understand the scientific method. I'll finish with this
"Arguing with idiots is like playing chess with a pigeon; no matter how good you are at chess the pigeon is just going to knock over the pieces, crap on the board and strut around like it’s victorious."

You can insult me 2000 times to 2000 people you are still wrong.
Original post by Virgili
"Arguing with idiots is like playing chess with a pigeon; no matter how good you are at chess the pigeon is just going to knock over the pieces, crap on the board and strut around like it’s victorious."

That is certainly how I'd characterise debating with an idiot who believes there are legitimate arguments to be made in favour of a flat earth. Anyway, I'm out. But feel free to have the last word
Original post by Attempt
I made the mockery of your delusional comment about Islam's contribution to Science and it's History, because as a person who has been studying Abrahamaic theology for half a decade, it's safe to say that the only scientific contributions that the religion of Islam has made to the world is time travel.

In the sense that anyone who takes the religion seriously gets transported back to the 7th century, where ideas of the earth being flat and the urine of camels being medicinal weren't completely out of order.

But it's okay to drink your own urine, as some civilised Europeans have started doing nowadays. What sort of argument is this??
Original post by Attempt
I made the mockery of your delusional comment about Islam's contribution to Science and it's History, because as a person who has been studying Abrahamaic theology for half a decade, it's safe to say that the only scientific contributions that the religion of Islam has made to the world is time travel.

:lol: I missed that comment when you made it. The way you expressed that is hilarious, hope you don't mind if I use it myself
Reply 187
Original post by KingBradly
Oppose fundamentalist Islam, by bringing attention to its problems.

Very fair, would you align yourself with the likes of Majid Nawaz in that respect?
Original post by yasminkattan
But it's okay to drink your own urine, as some civilised Europeans have started doing nowadays. What sort of argument is this??

The difference is one was recommended by a supposed religious figure and "mercy unto mankind" the other wasn't.

You figure it out :wink:
:lol: I missed that comment when you made it. The way you expressed that is hilarious, hope you don't mind if I use it myself

Yeah if you want.

You can choose to reference me when you use it if you want as well.
Original post by Attempt
The difference is one was recommended by a supposed religious figure and "mercy unto mankind" the other wasn't.

You figure it out :wink:

Because it has many benefits. That's really not a criticism, it was used as a treatment for many things.
Because it has many benefits. That's really not a criticism, it was used as a treatment for many things.

I suppose your mother drinks it as well right?
The same arguments being discussed above as years ago on TSR daily.

I actually lol'd.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Are you really defending the drinking of camel urine?
I'm really relating this culture of freedom of thought back to the enlightenment of the 17th/18th/19th centuries.

People started to question religion and also to investigate the natural world. Even though religion told them earth was the centre of the universe, and they had other similarly backward explanations for a variety of physical phenomenon, they started to question these explanations.

The beginnings of physics, chemistry, etc was very much related to this opening of free thought. And it has simply expanded exponentially from there.

There are still many people in the Islamic world who believe the earth is flat. To start to evolve and develop, you need to question those religious explanations and this will open you up to beginning to investigate the natural world. That in turn develops your science, which leads to technology.

Another example; look at Singapore. In 1945 it was extremely poor, its people had a standard of living similar to Africa. But since 1945 it has developed and despite having no natural resources, no oil, no gas and very little land, they built up their society. Compare that to countries which are rich in natural resources like Venezuela. While Singapore obviously has progress to make on the political front, they have always been very open in terms of the sciences and they have excellent universities. That is where prosperity begins and it shows that your mindset can matter as much if not more than your natural resources

Please show me where the Qur'an says the earth is flat. No one in the Islamic world believes the earth is flat, no scholar will ever say such a stupid thing.
Original post by BaconandSauce
Are you really defending the drinking of camel urine?

I'm not defending murder, calm down.
Please show me where the Qur'an says the earth is flat. No one in the Islamic world believes the earth is flat, no scholar will ever say such a stupid thing.

Earth is described as flat in the qur'an? Lol.

We might as well all join the flat earth society. :ahee::ahee:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 197
Original post by fatima1998
:colonhash:

Spoiler

Doesn't this kind of thing bother you?
Or is it just a case of Not True Muslim™?
Original post by Attempt
I suppose your mother drinks it as well right?

Resulting to jokes about mothers, such an immature response.

Actually many people in the Islamic world believe in a flat earth. They base their views on verses like this;

And the earth We have spread out
(like a carpet); set thereon mountains firm and immovable; and produced therein all kinds of things in due balance.

The Grand Mufti of Saudi Arabia (until he died in 1999) Sheikh ibn Baz believed the earth was flat. You say nobody believes that, but here is a debate on Iraqi TV discussing whether the earth is flat

[video="youtube;wppjYDj9JUc"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wppjYDj9JUc[/video]

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending