The Student Room Group

PGCert or EYITT

Hi all,

I'm planning to become an Early Years Educator and have just turned down a place on a PGCE Primary Education - Early Years course. I'm not interested in becoming a Primary School teacher but DO want a qualification close to PGCE status. This is because I'm planning to eventually immegrate to New Zeland and I know a PGCE is a recognised qualification. However, in the meantime, being a Primary School teacher in England looks awful and I'd like to keep my mental health by keeping the age range down to 0-5 and teaching Early Years.

SO. As theres no such thing as an Early Years PGCE, I have narrowed down my choices to: Early Years Education with EYTS Professional Graduate Certificate in Education (PGCert) OR an EYITT. Neither offer QTS which is fine (dont need it for NZ) The PGCert looks closer to a masters... Any one know which is better for career prospects etc?
Original post by MaryRockins
Hi all,

I'm planning to become an Early Years Educator and have just turned down a place on a PGCE Primary Education - Early Years course. I'm not interested in becoming a Primary School teacher but DO want a qualification close to PGCE status. This is because I'm planning to eventually immegrate to New Zeland and I know a PGCE is a recognised qualification. However, in the meantime, being a Primary School teacher in England looks awful and I'd like to keep my mental health by keeping the age range down to 0-5 and teaching Early Years.

SO. As theres no such thing as an Early Years PGCE, I have narrowed down my choices to: Early Years Education with EYTS Professional Graduate Certificate in Education (PGCert) OR an EYITT. Neither offer QTS which is fine (dont need it for NZ) The PGCert looks closer to a masters... Any one know which is better for career prospects etc?

DO NOT DO EYITT! It is a total con as no one will employ you other than a private nursery which will pay you little more than the minimum wage. Have just finished a PGCE Early Years with EYITT at UCL and am off to become a florist. It's a Masters level course and great but for the fact it does not offer QTS. The EYE stuff is useless. You can teach in a maintained nursery with QTS, the primary training is great- most of my cohort are about to start it.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending