The Student Room Group

AQA A2 Mathematics MPC3 Core 3 - Wednesday 15th June 2016 [Official Thread]

Scroll to see replies

Original post by ComradeLenin
I got an A in my mock a few weeks ago. Got 73 and 75 on the June 2005 and Jan 2006 papers. I don't like the more complex intergration questions

What about you?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Definitely the more complex integration is tricky. I also need to go back over functions and modulus graphs and still need to memorise the different transformations.
Reply 61
Original post by Excuse Me!
Definitely the more complex integration is tricky. I also need to go back over functions and modulus graphs and still need to memorise the different transformations.

Don't memorise, try and properly understand it, that way you'll never forget and also you can then apply the knowledge.
Reply 63
Original post by Guls
These are vey beautiful but may I ask why is the answer next to the question?

Just the way the guy who made the questions did it.
http://www.madasmaths.com/archive/maths_booklets/further_topics/integration/integration_indefinite_mixed_up_student_version_condense.pdf
If you'd prefer not to have the answer next to the question here is the same document but condensed down and without the answers.
Reply 65
On the website there are log questions on the basic topics section
http://www.madasmaths.com/archive/maths_booklets/basic_topics/various/logarithms_exam_questions.pdf
Original post by B_9710
On the website there are log questions on the basic topics section
http://www.madasmaths.com/archive/maths_booklets/basic_topics/various/logarithms_exam_questions.pdf

Thanks!
Reply 67
Hi guys I made a thread which contains extra practice papers made for AQA C3/C4 by Elmwood press. They might be useful if you run out of past papers at some point! Or useful to try before attempting past papers.

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=3987239
Reply 68
Can someone please help me on how to find the range and domain of a function?
anyone else find AQA C4 so much more easier than C3? and would anyone reccomend getting a graphical calculator.
Reply 70
Original post by SunDun111
anyone else find AQA C4 so much more easier than C3? and would anyone reccomend getting a graphical calculator.

Im not sure whether it's easier or not but I certainly enjoy C4 a lot more than C3.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by xs4
Casio calculators can basically find you the range from a domain , given that the domain is small enough. However you have to remember the nature of the function for some questions , for example y = ln(x)

eh my teacher hasnt told me this? How do I find it then on a casio,
Original post by xs4
I'd strongly recommend that. I'm not sure if AQA allow TI-82/TI-83 usage in exams ,however i have bought a (casio) FX991ES+ and it helps a hell of a lot because of the calculator's ability to differentiate and integrate [finite regions], which is really useful when checking questions .

Spoiler

I also feel like my motives are quite bad for getting it, I dont really have a good memory so i cant remember all the trig graphs and transformations so I thought I would just use it? I do feel as if this isnt the right way for it to be used.
Original post by xs4
just press mode , then 3 .

from there you'll be able to enter the function and set pick a domain.
The calculator will ask you what number you want to start and finish at.
Basically it can let you find your y values instantly which is also good for simpson's/mid-ordinate rule questions and you go up in different steps as opposed to just 1 - using your h value

wait is this for a casio normal calculator or a graphical one?
Reply 74
wait is this for a casio normal calculator or a graphical one?

normal scientific casio calc :smile:
Original post by xs4
your calculator can plot trig graphs using its table mode anyway, in both degrees and radians & it can also do the same with modulus functions lol

Original post by xs4
normal scientific casio calc :smile:

Eh no it dosent? Mode 3 is just degrees, are you sure? I can't find it anwyay
Reply 76
Original post by xs4
Casio calculators can basically find you the range from a domain , given that the domain is small enough. However you have to remember the nature of the function for some questions , for example y = ln(x)

Thank-you!!
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 78
Original post by allieka

Original post by xs4

Original post by ComradeLenin

I would advise against using your calculator to find domains and ranges of functions! It takes 10 minutes to sit down, read over some stuff and make an effort to understand what they are and how to find them, using a calculator is just detrimental; don't depend on it.

I've written two, very detailed, posts over the past year or so that explains domains and ranges really well - if you could just take a few minutes to sit down and read them, it'll be worth your while. Feel free to ask me for any clarification.

Post 1 and Post 2.
For (e^x + 2) is the range f(x) > 2?

Is it the same for (e^3x + 2)?

Is the range of (e^x -5) f(x) > -5?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending