The Student Room Group

Does the UK put too much emphasis on college?

I ask this from my personal experience with education, but back in school there was a lot of emphasis put on going to college or sixth form and almost every other form of accessing higher education/higher learning potential went overlooked.

In the end I went to college because I felt like it was the best option at the time. I took Mathematics, Chemistry, Physics and Biology. With Physics and Biology I just scraped through to the second year and in Maths and Chemistry I failed. I was forced to drop Chemistry and replaced it with AS English Language and Maths I was allowed to redo the year but in the end failed again.

By the end, university felt it was far beyond my grasp and I felt like a complete and utterly failure and after just went straight into looking for employment. Within 2 years I only managed to acquire part-time casual jobs.

Reading the paper one day, I saw there were a shortage in Mathematics teachers (and yeah I failed AS Level Mathematics twice but this still interested me) and on a long shot that I might be able to follow this goal, I looked if there was a way aside from going back to college I could do this. I found one of my local universities does an access course onto Mathematics and Engineering degrees so I applied for this and I am now doing a BSc Honours in Mathematics with Education and Qualified Teacher Status and enjoying it way more than I ever did college.

I fall at a bit of a disadvantage by lacking an A-Level in Mathematics but overall I am enjoying it.

I just wished I'd known sooner I had more options than my school had made apparent the years up to me leaving.

Do you think too much emphasis is put on college?
Original post by LilyRobinson
I ask this from my personal experience with education, but back in school there was a lot of emphasis put on going to college or sixth form and almost every other form of accessing higher education/higher learning potential went overlooked.

In the end I went to college because I felt like it was the best option at the time. I took Mathematics, Chemistry, Physics and Biology. With Physics and Biology I just scraped through to the second year and in Maths and Chemistry I failed. I was forced to drop Chemistry and replaced it with AS English Language and Maths I was allowed to redo the year but in the end failed again.

By the end, university felt it was far beyond my grasp and I felt like a complete and utterly failure and after just went straight into looking for employment. Within 2 years I only managed to acquire part-time casual jobs.

Reading the paper one day, I saw there were a shortage in Mathematics teachers (and yeah I failed AS Level Mathematics twice but this still interested me) and on a long shot that I might be able to follow this goal, I looked if there was a way aside from going back to college I could do this. I found one of my local universities does an access course onto Mathematics and Engineering degrees so I applied for this and I am now doing a BSc Honours in Mathematics with Education and Qualified Teacher Status and enjoying it way more than I ever did college.

I fall at a bit of a disadvantage by lacking an A-Level in Mathematics but overall I am enjoying it.

I just wished I'd known sooner I had more options than my school had made apparent the years up to me leaving.

Do you think too much emphasis is put on college?

I think not enough people know about the alternatives, that they think it's the be all and end all to go to college, hence why so many focus on doing it.

Having said that, going in to sixth form was never a question for me - I was always expected to go.
Reply 2
they don't tell people about other things you can do. I always wanted to go to sixth form and then university and have done but I 100% there is too much emphasis on both
my school didn't even make college seem like an option. they just assumed everyone would be going on to the sixth form (as the school had it's own sixth form) so didn't tell us there were any alternatives. i genuinely didn't even know people went to college as an a-level alternative...i thought colleges were for adult (over 18) education courses only. same with apprenticeships etc - didn't know about them at all. maybe it's not up to schools themselves but certainly the government should make it much more clear to 16 year olds that college and sixth form are not the only ways.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending