History student here! AMA

Studying History as an undergrad!

Ask me anything!

Scroll to see replies

What is your favourite era of history?
Reply 2
Original post by Snufkin
What is your favourite era of history?

That is a tough question for any history student...
I'm torn between the age of Imperialism and that of the ancient world of the Romans and Greeks and what could've been.
Although it was was my dads passion for the 'forgotten war' with the Japanese that really got me into historical inquiry?

What about you guys?
What UNI do you attend?
Reply 4
Original post by LovepreetDhillon
What UNI do you attend?

Brunel - loving it :smile:

You? Or where are you considering?
Original post by neb789
Studying History as an undergrad!

Ask me anything!

How much written work do you have to submit?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 6
Original post by ageshallnot
How much written work do you have to submit?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Well that can largely depend on your university but in your first year you might expect 6-10 2000-2500 word essays; which if you plan for and time you can do wit no problem!
How do you revise for history?
Original post by neb789
Well that can largely depend on your university but in your first year you might expect 6-10 2000-2500 word essays; which if you plan for and time you can do wit no problem!

That's not enough, IMHO.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 9
That's not enough, IMHO.

Posted from TSR Mobile

As in you expected more work? :P
Original post by neb789
Brunel - loving it :smile:

You? Or where are you considering?

No, I was just curious ;P
Original post by neb789
As in you expected more work? :P

I studied history many years ago. In my first year I wrote 30 essays of the length you describe and six seminar papers. I find it difficult to understand the current teaching in most universities.

Posted from TSR Mobile
What did you have for breakfast? :holmes:
Reply 13
I studied history many years ago. In my first year I wrote 30 essays of the length you describe and six seminar papers. I find it difficult to understand the current teaching in most universities.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Was your course entirely coursework based? Did all of these 30 essays count?

I am of course only talking about those that have an impact on grade and whilst there is little encouragement for practice I've done a fair few more.

I do understand though - teaching quality is certainly under question currently!
Reply 14
Original post by iEthan
What did you have for breakfast? :holmes:

A muffin - you?
Original post by neb789
A muffin - you?

I had... leftover macaroni cheese :rofl: What enticed you to study History in the first place? When did you know that it's what you wanted to study? :beard:
Original post by neb789
Was your course entirely coursework based? Did all of these 30 essays count?

I am of course only talking about those that have an impact on grade and whilst there is little encouragement for practice I've done a fair few more.

I do understand though - teaching quality is certainly under question currently!

No coursework at all. A dissertation and nine exams of various types. I read now that it is normal for humanities students to write one formative and one summative essay per module and I shake my head - especially given the cost.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by neb789

I did 30 essays in my first year at Oxford :frown:
Original post by colourtheory
I did 30 essays in my first year at Oxford :frown:

See my posts above. In the 'good old days' every History course had that workload!
See my posts above. In the 'good old days' every History course had that workload!

I'm sure that's right. In order to pay for various academics and their research universities have been taking on more arts students even though these institutions don't have the resources to mark a high workload... Hence students are only writing six essays a year.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending