The Student Room Group

why do muslims get persecuted on this site?

Scroll to see replies

I think the more people talk about it, this thread included, the more pronounced it will be.
Original post by Virgili
- Wife beating and rape was legal in the UK until the 1990s, nonetheless it was not commonly practiced (I don't think so anyway), the legality of something clearly does not mean everyone will do it.
- Suggests yes, with the behaviour of the men in the West you would think this is true, it's actually not forced in the Quran it's a Syrian noble custom which has been passed down.
- True, this is disgusting and needs to change, but it's not uncommon elsewhere and a lot of Muslims I meet are not against it personally.
- True, I think so anyway, nonetheless the idea that this is a common to kill non-believers is strictly not true due to the religious tax. It is nonetheless quite disgusting.
- I don't know about this one but I know women are required guardians in certain cultures.
- This one is a lie, sexual slavery is absolutely not allowed, at the very, very questionable least you could say it applies to non-Muslims which while disgusting wouldn't allow ISIS to do what they're doing in Syria.
- As above so did the UK until recently but not sure if it's practiced.
- This is true with regards to legal rights definitely.

"who abstain from sex, except with those joined to them in the marriage bond, or (the captives) whom their right hands possess."

^^^^ Comes from a Quranic verse.
Original post by MrsSheldonCooper
Again, leading back to my point about liking Muslim people but not their religion, Muslims may have integrated but the beliefs I mentioned have always been there and always will be.

but what's the problem with Islam in the west if the vast majority of Muslims in the west don't follow its most extremist tenets?
because islam is kind of a ****ed up religion if you read some of the verses - can I say that?
for example, they want gay people put to death - that's literally true. that's in the qur'an, and muslims come from a culture of literalism
christian english people, on the other hand, do not come from that kind of long-term culture - england is influenced by the enlightenment
Reply 44
"who abstain from sex, except with those joined to them in the marriage bond, or (the captives) whom their right hands possess."

Wasn't familiar with that, it does seem by the wiki page you are quite right about the interpreation as well, i'll have to look more into it.
Reply 45

Qur'an 23 :5-6 to be specific.

"5. And those who guard their chastity (i.e. private parts, from illegal sexual acts)
6. Except from their wives or (the captives and slaves) that their right hands possess, for then, they are free from blame;"

Islam The Religion of peace.
Original post by Frank Underwood
but what's the problem with Islam in the west if the vast majority of Muslims in the west don't follow its most extremist tenets?

Because the Islamic beliefs I just mentioned go completely against Western ones.
Reply 47

I think the problem really comes from literalism, if there wasn't this debate about literalism one could simply argue those are just customs of the time and were also practiced by the Romans and Greeks etc, but given the importance of the word of God as soverign they've digged themselves into a hole here.

Nonetheless I don't think most Muslims are quite so literal and the Western ones appear far more similiar to Christianity in their pick and mix belief.
(edited 8 years ago)
Because the Islamic beliefs I just mentioned go completely against Western ones.

what's the problem if no one practices them?
Original post by Virgili
I think the problem really comes from literalism, if there wasn't this debate about literalism one could simply argue those are just customs of the time and were also practiced by the Romans and Greeks etc, but given the importance of the word of God as soverign they've digged themselves into a whole here.

Nonetheless I don't think most Muslims are quite so literal and the Western ones appear far more similiar to Christianity in their pick and mix belief.

Well obviously mainly because it's illegal, but some believe it (e.g Rotherham case).

The Islamic beliefs are always going to remain there and on that basis, it is never going to be compatible with the West.

Some people do practice them illegally. Majority of Muslims don't but you can't deny that there are Quran verses which say that sex slaves are ok.
Original post by Attempt
Are you an utter moron?

You're ignoring the hundreds of terrorist attacks happening in Europe because the majority of muslims aren't participating in it?

What stops one of the supposed tolerant muslims from going to a mosque, getting radicalised and committing another act if terror the exact way the Lee rigby killer was done?

Closer to dozens, and what is stopping them is the police, who have, unbeknownst to you, prevented about 5 ISIS-related attacks on the UK in the last 12 months, Brussels suffers from domestic security issues, which have been exposed by this ordeal
Reply 52
Well obviously mainly because it's illegal, but some believe it (e.g Rotherham case).

The Islamic beliefs are always going to remain there and on that basis, it is never going to be compatible with the West.

Christianity has similiar beliefs though and it is considered compatible 'arguably' as long as it is toned down. I don't see why a reformed Islam could not continue the belief in a more progressive direction.

Are we really so blind as to think only an ultra-conservative view of Islam persists? If that were the case ISIS would be the Middle East based on these verses.
Original post by Attempt

Britain, about 1/2 of Muslims support ISIS, ICM (Mirror) Poll 2015: 1.5 Million British Muslims support the Islamic State, about half the total population." (http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/muslim-leader-isis-supporting-brits-disenfranchised-6018357)

You are an idiot.

Plain and simple.

Says the one who quotes the Mirror as a reliable source, LOL.

But seriously, that statistic is not correct, if it were, we would be in a much worse world and we would know it

yeah because this is the UK. what if they were in the middle east? you think they'd necessarily hate or speak out against their respective former (or their parents' former regimes) regime if they put gay people to death? you think, for instance, that these muslims came to the west to 1) get more money, or 2) get away from this kind of state-conduct that is perfectly in line with the religion that their families and many many previous generations followed?
Original post by Virgili
Christianity has similiar beliefs though and it is considered compatible 'arguably' as long as it is toned down. I don't see why a reformed Islam could not continue the belief in a more progressive direction.

Are we really so blind as to think only an ultra-conservative view of Islam persists? If that were the case ISIS would be the Middle East based on these verses.

Christianity does have similar beliefs but there aren't countries that run on those views. You have countries that run on Islamic law.

http://www.theguardian.com/uk/2009/may/07/muslims-britain-france-germany-homosexuality
Reply 56
Closer to dozens, and what is stopping them is the police, who have, unbeknownst to you, prevented about 5 ISIS-related attacks on the UK in the last 12 months, Brussels suffers from domestic security issues, which have been exposed by this ordeal

There have been over 112 acts of terror committed worldwide from May 2015 till now.

So we should put our faith in the police to pick up potential terrorists rather than our immigration system who openly allow the immigration of these people from war ton harmful regions in the world?
Some people do practice them illegally. Majority of Muslims don't but you can't deny that there are Quran verses which say that sex slaves are ok.

I don't see how relentlessly hating on Islam, when its a tiny minority in the west who actually practice these things, is doing any good. Many religions have their incompatibilities, but the religious populations who live in the 21st century have moved on.
I don't see how relentlessly hating on Islam, when its a tiny minority in the west who actually practice these things, is doing any good. Many religions have their incompatibilities, but the religious populations who live in the 21st century have moved on.

There's nothing wrong with hating on it. It's a set of beliefs, people will like them, others won't.
Reply 59
Says the one who quotes the Mirror as a reliable source, LOL.

But seriously, that statistic is not correct, if it were, we would be in a much worse world and we would know it

Just because it comes from the Mirror doesn't mean it's false because it conflicts with your delusional ideas.

Britain

Percentage of British Muslims that approval of Suicide Bombings, "Populus Poll (2006): 12% of young Muslims in Britain (and 12% overall) believe that suicide attacks against civilians in Britain can be justified. 1 in 4 support suicide attacks against British troops."(http://www.populuslimited.com/pdf/2006_02_07_times.pdf)

Quick Reply

Latest