The Student Room Group

I hit a car in a car park and haven't reported it

I hit a cars back bumper fairly badly while reversing and panicked like god knows what. I left without stopping and now feel awful. I know it was my fault, ive only been driving a week. Should I go and report it at the shop (they will almost certainly have CCTV) or police? I'm really scared i may get banned from driving or something or lose my hugely expensive insurance no claims. Help me. So worried.

Scroll to see replies

Confess your sins, God is watching.
Call 101.
(edited 7 years ago)
Depends how bad; if it was just a hit and no damage to the car then i suppose the guy wont care if he even notices.

However if you damaged the other car, then you should probably phone the shop or the centre of the car park and ask them too see what the best method is. Or as someone suggested call 111 but phone the shop first.

For future reference; if you hit a car just leave a note on the windscreen and note their registration. Had you done this you could have phoned them and sorted it without 3rd parties. Although insurance companies state you MUST tell them if you have a accident this way saves you the hassle, however if the other person phones his insurance you have ****ed it.

EDIT; I doubt you will get banned from driving, and you dont have any no-claims to lose, but your premium for next year will be very high. Also dont stress too much over it.
Reply 4
Original post by ||TheUnknown||
Call 101.

And just explain what happened? Should I go back to the shop. Its a big store so will have CCTV
Never drive a car again.
Reply 6
Original post by TSRFT8
Depends how bad; if it was just a hit and no damage to the car then i suppose the guy wont care if he even notices.

However if you damaged the other car, then you should probably phone the shop or the centre of the car park and ask them too see what the best method is. Or as someone suggested call 111 but phone the shop first.

For future reference; if you hit a car just leave a note on the windscreen and note their registration. Had you done this you could have phoned them and sorted it without 3rd parties. Although insurance companies state you MUST tell them if you have a accident this way saves you the hassle, however if the other person phones his insurance you have ****ed it.

EDIT; I doubt you will get banned from driving, and you dont have any no-claims to lose, but your premium for next year will be very high. Also dont stress too much over it.

I know this is what i should have done. My premium is already insanely high. I'm really worried. And i damaged the back bumper. So it looks like I'm f****d
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by LukeB95
And just explain what happened? Should I go back to the shop. Its a big store so will have CCTV

Yes :yep: Better to tell them rather than get caught.
Reply 8
Original post by ||TheUnknown||
Yes :yep: Better to tell them rather than get caught.

What wil happen to me?!
Original post by LukeB95
I hit a cars back bumper fairly badly while reversing and panicked like god knows what. I left without stopping and now feel awful. I know it was my fault, ive only been driving a week. Should I go and report it at the shop (they will almost certainly have CCTV) or police? I'm really scared i may get banned from driving or something or lose my hugely expensive insurance no claims. Help me. So worried.

Don't worry about it man!
Reply 10
You need to sort this out ASAP before the police gets involved, it is a criminal offence to drive away from the scene of an accident, even when no one is hurt.
Reply 11
Original post by Maker
You need to sort this out ASAP before the police gets involved, it is a criminal offence to drive away from the scene of an accident, even when no one is hurt.

How? Phone the police? Do what?
You can only get done for failure to report or failure to stop. I did this in the dark outside a business' premises wit CCTV and got out and looked claimed i saw no damage and got off. Was interviewed at police station and they took no action.
run over some children to even out your sentence to 5 years
Original post by LukeB95
I know this is what i should have done. My premium is already insanely high. I'm really worried. And i damaged the back bumper.

You obviously had no malicious intent so please dont worry about it so much. If you damaged the car then you have to get in touch with the shop. I know you said you panicked but by any chance do you remember the make or the car? Registration? If you can get in touch with the owner offer to pay for the damages (if you can if its too expensive then best to let the insurance sort it) and request he does not phone the insurance (if they dont know it wont go down as a claim). Also if you dont mind me asking what is your voluntary and compulsory excess?
Guy came on TSR for advice. Instead, you're all stressing him even more.

Ay.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 16
Original post by TSRFT8
You obviously had no malicious intent so please dont worry about it so much. If you damaged the car then you have to get in touch with the shop. I know you said you panicked but by any chance do you remember the make or the car? Registration? If you can get in touch with the owner offer to pay for the damages (if you can if its too expensive then best to let the insurance sort it) and request he does not phone the insurance (if they dont know it wont go down as a claim). Also if you dont mind me asking what is your voluntary and compulsory excess?

I remember the start of the reg? I think its £500 compulsory and £900 total (first policy in the house, first car) Shall I phone the shop? What will happen to me? I really dont want my insurance to be affected its only 6 months policy to save money (still £1500) and really don't want to be banned, points etc
Reply 17
Original post by LukeB95
How? Phone the police? Do what?

Get some advice from Citizens Advice Bureau or a solicitor, most have a free 1/2 hour consultation.
Might well be cheaper to try and find the owner and settle it privately if they agree
Original post by LukeB95
I remember the start of the reg? I think its £500 compulsory and £900 total (first policy in the house, first car) Shall I phone the shop? What will happen to me? I really dont want my insurance to be affected its only 6 months policy to save money (still £1500) and really don't want to be banned, points etc

Ideally you need to track the owner without phoning your insurance as otherwise you will have to pay them £900 and im pretty certain the damage to the other car will be cheaper and if you and the other guy can come to some sort of agreement without involving the insurance then you will be better off in the long run.

You need to phone the shop (dont panic just be calm explain the situation etc) they will review CCTV and should give you the registration which you will need in order to track the owner. It may be that it was an employee of the shop. Also NOTHING is going to happen to you, Hit & Run is only really noticed if their was people involved, it is a "criminal offence" but then again so is stealing sweets and you wont exactly get life imprisonment. By tommorow afternoon if the shop do not give you any help (unlikely) then just phone 111 and explain to them what happened or go down to a local police station.

Quick Reply

Latest