The Student Room Group

How much does 4th AS matter for top uni's?

I'm doing well in my history,literature and politics A-levels but terrible in physics. To do well I will need to do a tonne of revision for physics to the detriment of my other subjects. Will universities care if I fail physics AS if I plan on dropping it anyway?
Reply 1
Original post by NUFC1998
I'm doing well in my history,literature and politics A-levels but terrible in physics. To do well I will need to do a tonne of revision for physics to the detriment of my other subjects. Will universities care if I fail physics AS if I plan on dropping it anyway?

Not so much if it's not relevant to your course.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 2
So would you recommend dropping/failing it now?
Reply 3
So would you recommend dropping/failing it now?

Some unis will expect you to have 4 ASs. Do you think you can get a C or even a B?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 4
Original post by jneill
Some unis will expect you to have 4 ASs. Do you think you can get a C or even a B?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Unlikely now I should think without a tonne of work. Would a d/e not suffice to meet the pre-requisite?
Unlikely now I should think without a tonne of work. Would a d/e not suffice to meet the pre-requisite?

A lot of universities require a pass in a 4th subject at AS level, which is an E or above. If you do physics and get an E or above then you will meet their minimum requirements but of course if you are applying to a competitive course then a D or an E could potentially disadvantage you.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 6
Original post by Artstudentstress
A lot of universities require a pass in a 4th subject at AS level, which is an E or above. If you do physics and get an E or above then you will meet their minimum requirements but of course if you are applying to a competitive course then a D or an E could potentially disadvantage you.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Right okay cheers. Hopefully should appreciate the fact it's in a really hard subject so more valuable than higher grades in easier subjects.
3 A levels is all you need, any extra aren't really helpful from a uni admissions point unless you miss your offer etc. That's what I was told talking to admissions people at Uni of Southampton (where I am now).

While the situation was not quite the same (I was discussing possibly taking 5 A-levels) I hope it is of some use to you.
With that in mind, as to the having an AS over not having one, I would probably focus on your top 3 subjects. I certainly never regretted dropping History.

Cambridge or Oxford may expect you to be taking 4 A-levels though, if your school offers it on a regular basis.

Rereading OP I have realised this is about AS rather than A2, my bad
Right okay cheers. Hopefully should appreciate the fact it's in a really hard subject so more valuable than higher grades in easier subjects.

It may also depend on what university you want to apply to an what degree you want to do, do you know what you want to apply for?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 9
It may also depend on what university you want to apply to an what degree you want to do, do you know what you want to apply for?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Law ideally. Maybe something else if that appears not practical
(edited 8 years ago)
Law ideally. Maybe something else if that appears not practical

If you are interested in doing law at a Russel group/ red brick uni then I'd advise keeping your fourth AS-level as they will expect most applicants to have done four.

Posted from TSR Mobile
as far as I am aware UCL is the only university including a 4th AS in their offer and they require an E. Provided you get an E you should be fine unless its Oxbridge LSE Imperial and possibly a couple more.
Reply 12

Posted from TSR Mobile

The only one I know of is UCL, and I'd bet with the reforms + some schools not doing AS at all, it's a requirement they might end up dropping.

As long as you have 3 good A levels, you'll be fine. Most unis won't care about the fourth, especially as physics is so unrelated to what you want to do. Focus on getting good work experience or extra curricular stuff, write a good ps, and you'll be fine

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending