The Student Room Group

GCSE AQA English Literature - June 2016 *Official Thread*

Scroll to see replies

Original post by typicalstudent1
I hear you! Same for me tbh but I'm getting the hang of it by searching it like mad on the Internet :tongue:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Ahaha you sound like me, it usually works:u:
Original post by Gingerbread101
Ok, so some key things that I'd take from those would be:
"softly and hopelessly" - the adverbs create a sense of defeat mixed with kindness. Despite him being opposed to what they're doing, he doesn't use the same violence as the rest of them. This, in the context of the novel, could be seen as part of his downfall, as he can't compete with the aggression with which some people strived towards their own goals/American Dreams
"rolled over and faced the wall" - the buildings and proximity to them is often important in the novel, like with Crook's room. The active verbs "rolled" and "faced" could show how he is still trying to control some level of his life, despite the control everyone else is trying to claim over the rest.
"shuffled the cards noisily and dealt them" - I think this is a nice metaphor for what's happening on the ranch - the cards are dealt out and even though the characters (Candy included) try to change their fate through following their American Dreams, this is futile because they can't change the hand they've been dealt by society

I love the "rolled over and faced the wall" analysis! Could you also say that Candy is confronting/ facing the loneliness and segregation by just accepting it?
Original post by Ella_08
I love the "rolled over and faced the wall" analysis! Could you also say that Candy is confronting/ facing the loneliness and segregation by just accepting it?

Yep, that's really good! :smile:
Original post by Gingerbread101
Yep, that's really good! :smile:

Cheers :smile::smile:
Original post by JoshuaE
Futility is the one poem I struggle to fully understand. If an AQA examiner is monitoring this thread then heyy lets be friends :innocent:

hahah imagine them monitoring and choosing the one we don't want to have a go at xD
Anyone doing AQA igcse Literature on 'A View From The Bridge'?
(or studying 'A View From The Bridge' and doing unseen poetry too)??:s-smilie:
Reply 106
Original post by Oblivion99
Its honestly, one of the easier in my opinion but hey everyones different. If you PM, ill give you my note which will hopefully, assuring, help you :smile:

That's kind of you but I think I just need to put more effort in, I've just been ignoring it when revising :lol:
So whats everyone predicting for AIC as im revising it now and need help!!!!
Original post by tinyshadow0
So whats everyone predicting for AIC as im revising it now and need help!!!!

Sheila
Gerald
Mrs B maybe???

Themes:
responsibility
What do you think the chances are of the Inspector coming up because I've got no notes on him yet?
Original post by student45231
What do you think the chances are of the Inspector coming up because I've got no notes on him yet?

I really hope he doesn't. He came up in 2012 so it's not very likely, but still a bit likely. I don't have any notes either so I better work on that now :facepalm:good luck!
Original post by student45231

Very unlikely as he came up in 2012 and same ive revised all characters but him :smile:
Original post by Ella_08
Sheila
Gerald
Mrs B maybe???

Themes:
responsibility

I dont think mrs birling will come up shes came up before , Im predicting one question on "Gerald" and the other being "Linking age to taking responsibilty"
I dont think mrs birling will come up shes came up before , Im predicting one question on "Gerald" and the other being "Linking age to taking responsibilty"

I doubt she'll come up but you never know what the examiners are doing :/ Yeah Gerald is likely. I think i'll choose the character question over the theme question, wbu?
Anyone doing purple hibiscus
Original post by Ella_08
I doubt she'll come up but you never know what the examiners are doing :/ Yeah Gerald is likely. I think i'll choose the character question over the theme question, wbu?

It depends who the character is really , if it was age i would probably do age just so i could talk about changes in society and that their more forgiving however on the exam day you never know🤔

Also for Omam what are you predicting?
It depends who the character is really , if it was age i would probably do age just so i could talk about changes in society and that their more forgiving however on the exam day you never know🤔

Also for Omam what are you predicting?

Yeah -age would be an ok one. But for me, i much prefer doing characters because I've planned out all my essays for pretty much all of the characters. I just have Gerald to finish and the Inspector to start. So I think I will always choose a character, no matter what.
And well considering we're the last year to do this spec I think it might be the American dream. It might say how Candy represents the American dream. Or maybe Curley will come up, he hasn't yet.
Wbu?
Is there any files for the fight scene or the dog shooting scene. ..it will be helpful if you share some!😈😈😈😈
Reply 118
I'm doing Of Mice And Men, Lord of the Flies and the Conflict cluster for poetry.

I'm feeling more confident for Lord of the Flies than Of Mice and Men. We're going to go back over it at school when we go back but I don't remember much about the novel and I found I enjoyed Lord of the Flies a lot more. For poetry, I feel like there's a few poems that I really hope don't come up, but I'm confident with most of them.

I'm hoping to get an A* in English literature, I got one in my mock and I want to do it at A Level so hopefully OMAM won't drag me down too much! :redface:
Original post by ac1999
Hi I'm doing 'Of Mice and Men' and an 'Inspector Calls' as well as the conflict poetry cluster. I've got a mock for Section A Unit 1 for AIC tomorrow, hope it goes well!!

I'm doing those three too:smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending