The Student Room Group

Would you support the removal of university hierarchies?

I believe that it is a well known fact that some industry areas (e.g. Banking, high end reporting, consulting...) view one's university as a key part of the recruitment process. As such, a hierarchy is established with unis like Oxbridge at the top followed by ICL, LSE, UCL, Kings, etc. then the rest. Another consequence is how Oxbridge is viewed as godlike and the pinnacle of education and is cast with a halo of its own.

Because of this, people from non-RGs and the like find employment a bit more difficult in general compared to their RG counterparts. So, would you support the removal of this hierarchy and have a world where Oxbridge grads are viewed equally to London met grads?
(edited 7 years ago)
it may seem very unfair that some Universities produce graduates who achieve more than others.
life is very very unfair. i do not know how much you are "into" soccer, but they have this very rigid hierarchy of teams... the players in the top teams such as Leicecester are paid £1000s a month to kick a ball around. less talented players end up in mediocre clubs like West Ham... they are payed less.
i hope this has helped you.
Why is everyone so obsessed with ****ing rankings and arbitrary groupings on this ****ing **** site?
Original post by the bear
it may seem very unfair that some Universities produce graduates who achieve more than others.
life is very very unfair. i do not know how much you are "into" soccer, but they have this very rigid hierarchy of teams... the players in the top teams such as Leicecester are paid £1000s a month to kick a ball around. less talented players end up in mediocre clubs like West Ham... they are payed less.
i hope this has helped you.

It is unfair but at the same time it does feel somewhat justified, though not always. If it is the "brightest" who get into the best unis, I feel that them receiving better prospects is well deserved for their hard work as opposed to others who may have slacked off.

Then again I use this is a broad general sense, not to be applied to every student.
Original post by Nameless Ghoul
Why is everyone so obsessed with ****ing rankings and arbitrary groupings on this ****ing **** site?

Because it makes for a fun topic and isn't entirely arbitrary! :tongue:
Original post by Confusedschubert
Because it makes for a fun topic and isn't entirely arbitrary! :tongue:

It's banal and is indeed arbitrary.
Original post by Nameless Ghoul
It's banal and is indeed arbitrary.

Doubt it. Definitely not banal nor arbitrary for the industries I stated...

Also, in general I think it's a perfectly good measure for a university. Oxbridge being at the top and Goldsmith below seems pretty agreeable, no? But I will agree with you in that it does get arbitrary when considering universities with a similar caliber, e.g. UCL vs LSE, Oxford vs Cam, Durham vs Warwick...
Original post by Confusedschubert

So, would you support the removal of this hierarchy and have a world where Oxbridge grads are viewed equally to London met grads?

That doesn't even make any sense. You haven't said what would need to be done to make this possible.

But regardless, my answer is no.
Original post by Lawliettt
That doesn't even make any sense. You haven't said what would need to be done to make this possible.

But regardless, my answer is no.

It's just a hypothetical situation so I didn't think that through. I guess blind-screening applications (like how magic circle firms are increasingly doing) could be one way.

Quick Reply

Latest