The Student Room Group

The Hezzlington Cooking Blog - A student that eats like a King

Scroll to see replies

Original post by SmashConcept
Hijacking OP's thread but this is more my domain since I eat instant noodles most days and have a life philosophy of never cooking for more than 45 minutes a week unless it's a special occasion or I'm guaranteed to get laid (aka a really special occasion).

All things I have done to make instant noodles better

2 packets of noodles and two tins of tuna make a great meal. More protein = more better

Add an egg to your noodles. this even works with pot noodles. Just kinda mash it up a bit and let it cook in the hot water while the noodles break up. This is perfectly safe probably.

Tabasco sauce. The bottle prevents you from pouring too much so so basically just turn that **** upside down and let it drip onto your noodles until you're bored. This can be combined with either of the above

Chopped mushrooms. Chop them fine enough so that they cook just by pouring hot water on them. Instant mushrooms! You don't want to waste valuable TSR time in the kitchen so a little time investment goes a long way. don't chop your finger!

Any kind of cold meat. I like to make a load of chicken or pork or whatever at the beginning of the week and just mix it with my noodles as the week goes on. These kinds of meats keep for ages so no worries on that front. Put salt on them if you're scared of a little bacteria.

Soy sauce. Same technique as tabasco but you'll seem more cultured. Get the dark one to take advantage of the placebo effect by making your noodles look less like instant noodles.

Invest in the Golden Wonder brand noodles. They're more expensive than the basics ones but they're also better and the pouches are tastier too. On the downside you need to microwave them after pouring in the hot water so they're not as convenient.

Bonus round: something I haven't done yet but plan on trying:

Buy MSG powder. People will tell you this isn't healthy or that you're not running a Chinese restaurant or whatever. They are stupid pussies IMO and that's a fact. MSG is literally just flavour powder with some bonus sodium so go nuts with this.

I'll try this but as someone who actually learns about the negative effects of MSG, I'll leave that one out.
Original post by jenigma
I'll try this but as someone who actually learns about the negative effects of MSG, I'll leave that one out.

Negative effects of MSG such as what?

If consumed at small amounts (like in cooking) it has no negative effect. It's been used in Asian cooking for over 100 years.
Five Spice Duck

Spoiler

(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by hezzlington
Negative effects of MSG such as what?

If consumed at small amounts (like in cooking) it has no negative effect. It's been used in Asian cooking for over 100 years.

Wouldn't touch it with a bargepole!
Original post by Queen Cersei
Hahaha it all just adds to the suspense!

Done! really enjoyed making it. I will not be doing it for a long time. It was stressful, lots of multi tasking/time keeping and my kitchen is now a real mess.

So worth it though.
@hezzlington

Looks incredible :coma: although I'm not sure I'm convinced by the randomly dotted garden peas.. Why not a proper portion? :undefined:puppyeyes
Original post by IFoundWonderland
@hezzlington

Looks incredible :coma: although I'm not sure I'm convinced by the randomly dotted garden peas.. Why not a proper portion? :undefined:puppyeyes

Ooops, didn't explain. The mirin is a sugary rice wine, the alcohol evaporates and youre left with this syrup, the peas essentially caramelize. They're very sweet and crispy (with sugar).

Because of this, they are very sweet and I don't want too many. They are actually stuck to the plate.

Embrace the pea.
(edited 8 years ago)
Your cooking looks lovely - wish I could do these. I can't afford to spend quite so much money as you though really but nice for a treat :h:
Original post by Jenx301
Your cooking looks lovely - wish I could do these. I can't afford to spend quite so much money as you though really but nice for a treat :h:

Thanks! It tastes better than it looks! Im working on presentation/aesthetic as its important.

It's a shame some didn't like my pea placement.

:cry2:
Thanks! It tastes better than it looks! Im working on presentation/aesthetic as its important.

It's a shame some didn't like my pea placement.

:cry2:

:undefined:lol

:undefined:console

U r an artist :adore:
BONUS POST

Spoiler

(edited 8 years ago)
That rare steak sandwich is booming, well done is a crime IMO.:smile:
Original post by JamesN88
That rare steak sandwich is booming, well done is a crime IMO.:smile:

Well done steak is a waste of time, money and beef.

So I agree, it certainly is a culinary crime.
I'm gonna lose so much weight in September unless I learn how to cook fast!! :frown:
Original post by Tabstercat
you're an idiot

be nice!
Original post by yoda123
I'm gonna lose so much weight in September unless I learn how to cook fast!! :frown:

It's worth learning how :smile: It's fun and keeps me busy.
All i seen was "Food Blog" and thot :love:

All the food looks scrumptious tho! Loveee cooking myself :h:
and by the way if you have any fun dishes you enjoy making let me know and I'll give them a go.
Original post by Tabstercat
you're an idiot

Oh no! Some guy on the internet called me an idiot, I am so devastated )))))): :sleep:
x

Any nice dishes involving mince meat other than the usual lasagna/meatballs?

Quick Reply

Latest