The Student Room Group

Has anyone actually had the worst university experience?

I was at university and dropped out. But I realised everyone around me there loved uni and made so many close friends and I didn't. I had the worst experience ever and went through too much at university which made me drop out. I will go back again this year so I was looking at threads of people who've had a really crappy experience. I couldn't find much.

I thought it would be a good idea to find people who I can relate to but it seems impossible.

University for me was a series of the worst possible scenarios I could come in. No friends, moving halls and ending up with really bad flatmates again for the second time, being bullied by them, not having anyone to go to or rely, spending the whole time in my room whilst other people had the time of their lives. If you don't understand how I feel than consider yourself blessed.

TYPO IN TITLE - HAD*
(edited 7 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Nah, I'm with you. I hate uni. Just posted a thread about it actually. I don't think it's all that common; most people love uni.
Reply 2
The only part of uni thats been truly terrible for me is my flatmates. Both moved out after christmas but im glad it turned out the way it did because they were so rubbish. At least theres second year where ill be living in a house with people i like.

Your honestly not alone. I wouldnt say its been a disaster because i do enjoy some aspects of it, but i think the fact that i now go home twice a week most weeks, indicates something about my uni experience.
Reply 3
I hate university too. My housemates, the course, the people, the city!!!
I'm considering dropping out but i'm scared incase I regret it and I don't know what else I'd do :frown:
Reply 4
i'm glad to know I'm not alone. but i don't know anyone on the verge of dropping out so i really do feel alone. people usually drop out of uni because they hate the course or the uni itself, not because they were being treated horribly and became depressed because they had no friends!
Reply 5
Original post by xantha
I hate university too. My housemates, the course, the people, the city!!!
I'm considering dropping out but i'm scared incase I regret it and I don't know what else I'd do :frown:

i dropped out and it was my best decision. but i don't know under which circumstances you want to drop out, what is the problem? I couldn't stand to think going through daily bitchy remarks for the next two and a half years and being so lonely with no one to even have a packet of crisps with. but now i know how uni works and stuff so I'm going in with a fresh mind and ill be starting fresh, ill be ahead of most people as I've already been at the uni before.
It's not bad but I haven't made any friends and I live really far away from home, the loneliness is terrible. I'm not particularly excited about flying back tomorrow.
The worst part of uni is that I'm graduating in a couple of months. Uni's been the best 4 years of my life
Original post by GoldenOne
Nah, I'm with you. I hate uni. Just posted a thread about it actually. I don't think it's all that common; most people love uni.

Yeah most of my ex classmates are enjoying themselves which makes me feel even worse. I've tried to meet people but it's hard.

It's just very lonely.
Original post by intoxycated
i dropped out and it was my best decision. but i don't know under which circumstances you want to drop out, what is the problem? I couldn't stand to think going through daily bitchy remarks for the next two and a half years and being so lonely with no one to even have a packet of crisps with. but now i know how uni works and stuff so I'm going in with a fresh mind and ill be starting fresh, ill be ahead of most people as I've already been at the uni before.

It's quite hard to meet people. The people on my course haven't been eager to make any friendships.
People actually get bullied in uni?:lolwut:
That's wierd. I thought that uni was supposed to be a good experience for everyone, sorry about that.
Original post by loveleest
People actually get bullied in uni?:lolwut:
That's wierd. I thought that uni was supposed to be a good experience for everyone, sorry about that.

Same. I got ruthlessly bullied at school but at uni it's not even known as a concept!
Original post by intoxycated
I was at university and dropped out. But I realised everyone around me there loved uni and made so many close friends and I didn't. I had the worst experience ever and went through too much at university which made me drop out. I will go back again this year so I was looking at threads of people who've had a really crappy experience. I couldn't find much.

I thought it would be a good idea to find people who I can relate to but it seems impossible.

University for me was a series of the worst possible scenarios I could come in. No friends, moving halls and ending up with really bad flatmates again for the second time, being bullied by course mates, not having anyone to go to or rely, spending the whole time in my room whilst other people had the time of their lives. If you don't understand how I feel than consider yourself blessed.

TYPO IN TITLE - HAD*

Bear in mind that your perception of how others are getting along is very likely different to reality - you say that everyone around you were making lots of close friends and having a laugh...but many, many people suffer in silence. They might be having fun at pres, but they might be crying themselves to sleep because they're homesick or they're not coping with the course and the only time they smile is when they're out. Don't assume everyone is having fun and loving uni because they're happy on the outside, or when they're around other people. Just my two cent.
Original post by super_kawaii
Same. I got ruthlessly bullied at school but at uni it's not even known as a concept!

I thought people grew out of that by uni:facepalm:
I had a rubbish time at uni the first time I went. I did Law at Cardiff. I didn't get on with people particularly (found them a bit boring, annoying), found life too centred around getting drunk, found that my halls weren't that easy to be sociable in, and was bored by my course.

I dropped out, reapplied, went to do Politics, Philosophy and Economics at York. There I made loads of friends, found my halls very sociable, really enjoyed my course, found loads of interesting people to spend time with, did loads of extra-currics, etc.

I reckon a big chunk of it is down to luck. For me, a smaller uni with a stronger sense of community suited me, as did a uni environment slightly less focused on getting smashed. But I'm sure you can make a great time out of other types of environments, if those suit you better.

It's just trying to work out what kind of experience suits you - which isn't easy. Good luck!
Original post by TruckBear
I had a rubbish time at uni the first time I went. I did Law at Cardiff. I didn't get on with people particularly (found them a bit boring, annoying), found life too centred around getting drunk, found that my halls weren't that easy to be sociable in, and was bored by my course.

I dropped out, reapplied, went to do Politics, Philosophy and Economics at York. There I made loads of friends, found my halls very sociable, really enjoyed my course, found loads of interesting people to spend time with, did loads of extra-currics, etc.

I reckon a big chunk of it is down to luck. For me, a smaller uni with a stronger sense of community suited me, as did a uni environment slightly less focused on getting smashed. But I'm sure you can make a great time out of other types of environments, if those suit you better.

It's just trying to work out what kind of experience suits you - which isn't easy. Good luck!

I think it's down to the demographics of the university in a way. I noticed a few other students in my halls always standing on their own a bit like me.
Out of interest, did you visit the uni at all in terms of open days, applicant days?
I had a really horrible experience last year when I first went to uni, I really struggled with living out and taking care of myself, causing me to develop mental health issues. As a result, I had to drop out after the first semester, but ended up going back to uni this year, and am commuting this year instead. Still hasn't been amazing and I was expecting more, but I can't really complain.
I'm in ENV.
Original post by moment of truth
I had a really horrible experience last year when I first went to uni, I really struggled with living out and taking care of myself, causing me to develop mental health issues. As a result, I had to drop out after the first semester, but ended up going back to uni this year, and am commuting this year instead. Still hasn't been amazing and I was expecting more, but I can't really complain.

I know how you feel, I could've easily left and did nearly leave a few times but I have stayed as there is nothing here.

The university's don't give much help when your struggling. I only got 4 therapy sessions!

Quick Reply

Latest