The Student Room Group

Are "stupid" students bullied at Cambridge?

I have an offer to study philosophy at Cambridge but I'm not what you would call a "typical" offer holder in that I'm just not that bright! If I meet my offer (and that's a BIG if) I know I will be at the bottom of the class at Cambridge. And I'm perfectly fine with that. But, I am afraid that other students and perhaps even tutors will either explicitly make fun of me, inadvertently talk down to me or leave me out. I don't want to be treated differently just because I don't happen to be as clever as everyone else. Will it affect my social life?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
No.
Original post by Platopus
I have an offer to study philosophy at Cambridge but I'm not what you would call a "typical" offer holder in that I'm just not that bright! If I meet my offer (and that's a BIG if) I know I will be at the bottom of the class at Cambridge. And I'm perfectly fine with that. But, I am afraid that other students and perhaps even tutors will either explicitly make fun of me, inadvertently talk down to me or leave me out. I don't want to be treated differently just because I don't happen to be as clever as everyone else. Will it affect my social life?

Just be you, don't care what people think and people will come naturally.
Have you seen the movie Legally blonde? Your situation is kind of similar to Elle woods. You should watch it, it inspired me so much :biggrin:
Reply 4
Original post by bikiniikilll
Have you seen the movie Legally blonde? Your situation is kind of similar to Elle woods. You should watch it, it inspired me so much :biggrin:

Omg ikr :biggrin: It does teach you about dealing with that.
Reply 5

If you get into Cambridge, go with it! You may be at the bottom of the class at first but with hard work, you shall be able to get to the top in no time. You just have to believe in yourself and work hard :smile:
a third class degree from Cambridge still trumps up to 2:1 from other yoonys
Original post by BhavyaB
Omg ikr :biggrin: It does teach you about dealing with that.

You shouldn't worry about what others think. Even if you feel behind,just work harder and you must have faith in your self. Its time for me to believe in myself too :P
Reply 8
You are as clever as everyone else!! You got an offer just like them - I go to Oxford and I've heard that especially for humanities, tutors only pick students they think are capable of getting a first, so they must have seen loads of potential in you. Everyone thinks the admissions tutor made a mistake or whatever, you are so not alone in feeling like this!

I've also never heard anyone make fun of anyone else for sounding dumb or whatever in three years at Oxford (and as much as we hate to admit it, Cambridge is literally so similar in almost every way) - if anything I get teased more at home when I do something stupid (*drops something* "and they let her into Oxford HAHAHAHAA". Funny.).

Almost no one is the sterotypical weird Oxbridge posho I was expecting, there's honestly such a range of different types of open-minded and normal people so please don't worry! You've been given a fab opportunity - take it!!

ps. social life is actually way better than I was expecting, the only difference I've seen from some other unis is that people completely understand and respect it if you're swamped with work and can't go out every night haha!
I went to Harvard, and in first talk, the dean said 2 kinds of students are admitted: those who think the world is their oyster and those who feel it was a mistake that they got in. He said there is no correlation whatsoever with how much each groups achieves later in life. In its wisdom, this talk has stuck with me.

If the course is what you really want to do and you are passionate about it, you should DEFINITELY go. The social life will take care of itself.

I have a daughter at Cam and she finds the academic experience everything it is cracked up to be, with a spirit not competitive against each other but rather that "we are all in this together", i.e. the social life is supportive and full of play. She has never suffered from posh snobs.
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 10
Original post by ckfeister
Just be you, don't care what people think and people will come naturally.

Original post by BhavyaB
If you get into Cambridge, go with it! You may be at the bottom of the class at first but with hard work, you shall be able to get to the top in no time. You just have to believe in yourself and work hard :smile:

Original post by the bear

You shouldn't worry about what others think. Even if you feel behind,just work harder and you must have faith in your self. Its time for me to believe in myself too :P

Original post by ser00
You are as clever as everyone else!! You got an offer just like them - I go to Oxford and I've heard that especially for humanities, tutors only pick students they think are capable of getting a first, so they must have seen loads of potential in you. Everyone thinks the admissions tutor made a mistake or whatever, you are so not alone in feeling like this!

I've also never heard anyone make fun of anyone else for sounding dumb or whatever in three years at Oxford (and as much as we hate to admit it, Cambridge is literally so similar in almost every way) - if anything I get teased more at home when I do something stupid (*drops something* "and they let her into Oxford HAHAHAHAA". Funny.).

Almost no one is the sterotypical weird Oxbridge posho I was expecting, there's honestly such a range of different types of open-minded and normal people so please don't worry! You've been given a fab opportunity - take it!!

ps. social life is actually way better than I was expecting, the only difference I've seen from some other unis is that people completely understand and respect it if you're swamped with work and can't go out every night haha!

Original post by alcibiade
I went to Harvard, and in first talk, the dean said 2 kinds of students are admitted: those who think the world is their oyster and those who feel it was a mistake that they got in. He said there is no correlation whatsoever with how much each groups achieves later in life. In its wisdom, this talk has stuck with me.

If the course is what you really want to do and you are passionate about it, you should DEFINITELY go. The social life will take care of itself.

I have a daughter at Cam and she finds the academic experience everything it is cracked up to be, with a spirit not competitive against each other but rather that "we are all in this together", i.e. the social life is supportive and full of play. She has never suffered from posh snobs.

Don't worry, I'm definitely going to firm Cambridge because I do love the place. I just wanted to make sure I'm prepared for what it will be like there (should I get in). My concern is not that I will feel somehow lesser than everyone else, but that they will treat me as such. I don't want or need to be at the top of the class. I know what I'm capable of (which will put me at the bottom) and that's enough for me. I am just slightly worried that there might be some "intellectual discrimination" so to speak. But so long as that's not the case I'm sure I would be very happy :smile:
Original post by the bear

Why do people still force this? A third at any uni is useless. Including cambridge. It just shows employers you were lazy as hell.

Don't worry, I'm definitely going to firm Cambridge because I do love the place. I just wanted to make sure I'm prepared for what it will be like there (should I get in). My concern is not that I will feel somehow lesser than everyone else, but that they will treat me as such. I don't want or need to be at the top of the class. I know what I'm capable of (which will put me at the bottom) and that's enough for me. I am just slightly worried that there might be some "intellectual discrimination" so to speak. But so long as that's not the case I'm sure I would be very happy :smile:

to answer your question, I don't know. But i went to a grammar school and there were kids in my maths class who got laughed at for 'only' getting an A. So i guess it can happen anywhere. But it shouldn't impact you in any way. I'm hoping it'd just be playful/competitive
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 12
Original post by Lawliettt
Why do people still force this? A third at any uni is useless. Including cambridge. It just shows employers you were lazy as hell.

to answer your question, I don't know. But i went to a grammar school and there were kids in my maths class who got laughed at for 'only' getting an A. So i guess it can happen anywhere. But it shouldn't impact you in any way. I'm hoping it'd just be playful/competitive

A third is useless? I would be happy with a third from any uni. I thought anything over a pass was good!

Laughed at for getting an A - that's extreme. And unkind. I'm not sure I'd like to be laughed at even if it was playful/competitive.
As I said, in an absolutely first rate uni, lots of people fear inadequacy. It is good advice to be yourself. Just getting an offer is a fundamental accomplishment, perhaps of a lifetime. Now you have the chips. Play them. And enjoy it.
A third is useless? I would be happy with a third from any uni. I thought anything over a pass was good!

Not so, unfortunately. :no: Saturated graduate market = anything below a 2:1 will cause you to struggle (unless you have something else on your CV that makes up for it).
Reply 15
Original post by alcibiade
As I said, in an absolutely first rate uni, lots of people fear inadequacy. It is good advice to be yourself. Just getting an offer is a fundamental accomplishment, perhaps of a lifetime. Now you have the chips. Play them. And enjoy it.

That's so kind, thank you! I will try.

Original post by Hydeman
Not so, unfortunately. :no: Saturated graduate market = anything below a 2:1 will cause you to struggle (unless you have something else on your CV that makes up for it).

Oh dear!!! I was planning on being a primary school teacher - I didn't realise I required such high grades for that :frown:
Reply 16

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Impostor_syndrome

You. Will. Achieve. Your. Offer.

And.

You. Will. Be. Fine.

:smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 8 years ago)

You will be perfectly fine ! Cambridge will develop your knowledge not make fun of you
Reply 18
Original post by jneill
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Impostor_syndrome

You. Will. Achieve. Your. Offer.

And.

You. Will. Be. Fine.

:smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

You really are so kind, and this is going to sound horrible but (whispers)... I just don't believe you. I promise it's not personal! Sorry, I'm a very annoying person.

Original post by zXcodeXz
You will be perfectly fine ! Cambridge will develop your knowledge not make fun of you

Thank you, I hope so!

You will be fine. Just continue to work as hard as you have already done. Be open and friendly with your peers and supervisors. Give it your best and watch yourself blossom. Cambridge did not admit you because of a statistic, they chose you because they saw something good in you.

All the best. Go rock it.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending